Anyone able to load the Al-jazeera website?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was curious if there was a way to load the Al-Jazeera website with correct translations. Or at least with some translation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Moving to general discussion...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I am just curious to see what kind of things prople in that part of the world have to say about the war. I am sure they have a very different view of things than the media outlets we have access too.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I was able to see the web site. I saw pictures of everything. VERY violent and GROSS...close up images of the dead soilders. Must be horrifying for those that want to see if is one of their own family members.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Um, *gingerly raises hand* Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate in Apple Outsider?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    www.english.aljazeera.net

said the wallsteet journal. did not load for me. . .

clicking around on the arabic sight, they linked to

english.aljazeera.net/index.htm

still did not load, but appears to be their english site.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Yeah, i've been trying to get onto Al Jazeera's site for a few days now.. no luck.

I assume it will be a good counterpoint to the Saccharined shit that Americans accept for 'news coverage'.

CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company)'s news coverage sometimes airs on CSpan.. it's a bit better, but i still don't trust it to be balanced. BBC news is also better than US coverage, but they're involved in the conflict, while Canada is not, so i'll go with Canadian news for lack of something better.

I would really like to see Arab coverage though. I'm sure it will be quite different.

Somewhere in between, one might find the truth.

-robo

ps. Yeah... this is basically AppleOutsider
  • Reply 9 of 14
    CNN reported that people are waging a 'cyber war' against the site in anger. (Yea team!)

Maybe that explains why it won't come up?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Defiant - that debka site seems to be an Israeli run rumor site.. sort of a MacOSRumors of middle east news.

It's even more pro-war than the US news, from what i saw from a brief read. Not exactly a replacement for Al Jazeera

"Our sources tell us that the Fedayeen are armed with a new 'super gun' that fires chemical, biological, and nuclear shells, to be unleashed this week" vs. "Our sources tell us that Steve Jobs is armed with 3Ghz PPC 970s, to be unleashed this week"? Ehhh...

-robo
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by robo

ps. Yeah... this is basically AppleOutsider

Eh, yeah. I was in such a hurry to get such a potential mess away from the Software forum that I slipped it into GD instead. Moving again!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I understand why this has been moved to AO. I may not have been clear enough about my question. I was trying to find out if it was a rendering, or a bandwidth or translation problem. In other words I was trying to find out if it was a software problem. I was not asking for everyones world view. I think it's interesting info, but that is not what I was after.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I can. Translator doesn't really work though.

Good video links. Grab an arabic friend and get them to translate.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

CNN reported that people are waging a 'cyber war' against the site in anger. (Yea team!)

Anger at what, exactly?