Minor Lightroom and Photoshop bugs pop up in macOS Catalina

Posted:
in General Discussion
Those who use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop may have run into a few minor bugs after upgrading to Catalina, but most have fairly simple workarounds.

Image Credit: Adobe

After the launch of Catalina, it's been discovered Photoshop and Lightroom Classic have a couple of new compatibility issues. Adobe recommends waiting to upgrade to Catalina until the issues have been resolved, though for many users, these may not be a big issue.

Photoshop

Photoshop 20.0.6 is compatible with macOS Catalina (10.15), but there are a few compatibility issues that have popped up. If you're simply using Photoshop to do light image editing, you're probably going to have no problems with updating to Catalina. However, there are some issues that currently are awaiting fixes.

The biggest issue that many users have already run into involves naming files when saving. If you're running Catalina, changing the file format doesn't change the extension of the file. This means that if you're trying to save a file, you'll need to manually set the extension to match the file name.

File naming error

Plugins are also having compatibility issues as well. For most users who already have a plugin installed before they upgraded to Catalina, they shouldn't have a problem. However, if you're running Catalina and then try to install new plug-ins, you'll likely see a "plugin can't be opened because its integrity cannot be verified" error. Adobe walks users through how to solve this problem using a sudo command on their Photoshop and Catalina page.

Other issues have been noted as well. ExtendScript Toolkit no longer runs on on Catalina, though this isn't a bug as it has been replaced by ExtendScript Debugger 1.1.0.

The Len Profile Creator similarly doesn't work as it's 32-bit only, but Adobe says they're planning on updating it to be a 64 bit utility.

Lightroom

Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 should work with Catalina, though like Photoshop, has a couple of peculiar issues awaiting fixes.

Lightroom's Tether feature doesn't detect Nikon cameras if they're turned on after selecting "Start Tether Capture." The workaround is fairly simple: make sure your Nikon camera is turned on before beginning a capture.

Again, Len Profile Creator does not work on Catalina, as it is a 32-bit utility. Adobe is currently working on updating it to be a 64-bit utility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Or perhaps Adobe can go f themselves?
    cornchipStrangeDayscat52numenoreanpulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 18
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    The file name extension bug sounds a lot like a weird bug in the Adobe Bridge Output module where you make contact sheets and other output files from Bridge content. It would never append an extension to filenames. Also wouldn’t allow file names to be pasted into the save dialog. 
  • Reply 3 of 18
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Why weren't these issues known during the Public Beta testing period? That's the whole point.

I think it's irresponsible that these issues are allowed into the wild. There needs to be a way for Apple to warn users that upgrading will cause issues with apps that they have installed.

macseeker
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Those who use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop may have run into a few minor bugs after upgrading to Catalina, but most have fairly simple workarounds.

After the launch of Catalina, it's been discovered Photoshop and Lightroom Classic have a couple of new compatibility issues. Adobe recommends waiting to upgrade to Catalina until the issues have been resolved, though for many users, these may not be a big issue.

Photoshop

Photoshop 20.0.6 is compatible with macOS Catalina (10.15), but there are a few compatibility issues that have popped up. If you're simply using Photoshop to do light image editing, you're probably going to have no problems with updating to Catalina. However, there are some issues that currently are awaiting fixes.

The biggest issue that many users have already run into involves naming files when saving. If you're running Catalina, changing the file format doesn't change the extension of the file. This means that if you're trying to save a file, you'll need to manually set the extension to match the file name.

File naming error

Plugins are also having compatibility issues as well. For most users who already have a plugin installed before they upgraded to Catalina, they shouldn't have a problem. However, if you're running Catalina and then try to install new plug-ins, you'll likely see a "plugin can't be opened because its integrity cannot be verified" error. Adobe walks users through how to solve this problem using a sudo command on their Photoshop and Catalina page.

Other issues have been noted as well. ExtendScript Toolkit no longer runs on on Catalina, though this isn't a bug as it has been replaced by ExtendScript Debugger 1.1.0.

The Len Profile Creator similarly doesn't work as it's 32-bit only, but Adobe says they're planning on updating it to be a 64 bit utility.

Lightroom

Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 should work with Catalina, though like Photoshop, has a couple of peculiar issues awaiting fixes.

Lightroom's Tether feature doesn't detect Nikon cameras if they're turned on after selecting "Start Tether Capture." The workaround is fairly simple: make sure your Nikon camera is turned on before beginning a capture.

Again, Len Profile Creator does not work on Catalina, as it is a 32-bit utility. Adobe is currently working on updating it to be a 64-bit utility.
    I reported this bug to Adobe June 14th 2019? 
    numenoreanrattlhedpulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Why weren't these issues known during the Public Beta testing period? That's the whole point.

I think it's irresponsible that these issues are allowed into the wild. There needs to be a way for Apple to warn users that upgrading will cause issues with apps that they have installed.
    It’s entirely on third-party app developers to utilize the beta period to flush these out. It isn’t Apple’s place to maintain a list of possible problem developers (who goes on it? who doesn’t?) and wag a finger. 
    command_f
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    Hey Lenny, it's LenS Profile Creator.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    As a heavy Lightroom/Photoshop user, I find Adobe's lack of preparedness with Catalina to be inexcusable and lazy.  They had literally years to get read for it, and they dropped the ball.  Unbelievable.

numenoreancommand_fmacpluspluspulseimages
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Totally understandable since Apple is the only manufacturer to drop support for widely used APIs within 2 years without any intention of legacy support. It's quite surprising to see that calamity has not yet set in.
    numenorean
  • Reply 9 of 18
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Considering the types of bugs that pop-up in Adobe software these are nothing.

Other than random crashes on the Save dialogue (arguably the worst place to have a bug) in the last year they've even had video accelerator bugs that leave black marks all over the artwork.

Having to rename a file, no sweat.
    cat52pulseimages
  • Reply 10 of 18
    It really is about time that Abobe pulled their finger out and got rid of the 32bit components in their supported software.
    Updates from a recent as August 2019 contain 32bit components.
    Adobe has had more than enough notice that 32Bit was going away yet... they seem to either ignore it or just pay lip-service to the issue.

Oh wait... this is the same company that produced what is possibly the most bug ridden bit of software know to mankind... Acrobat Reader.

How many people are going to upgrade to Catalina only to find that their S**** does not work for them?
    As the updaters are still 32bit... how are they going to update the updaters if 32bit does not work any more? Oh yes, hike their prices and drive people away. /s /s
    numenoreancommand_f
  • Reply 11 of 18
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    sflocal said:
    As a heavy Lightroom/Photoshop user, I find Adobe's lack of preparedness with Catalina to be inexcusable and lazy.  They had literally years to get read for it, and they dropped the ball.  Unbelievable.

There is compatibility trouble with Adobe software just about every time Apple updates MacOS. Using Adobe software is how I pay the bills, I wish they were better prepared, too, but it’s hardly unbelievable. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 12 of 18
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    ednl said:
    Hey Lenny, it's LenS Profile Creator.
    Exactly. That's the peril of copy/pasting from the Adobe page, where the original typo occurred, without reading or understanding what you're doing.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 13 of 18
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    There needs to be a way for Apple to warn users that upgrading will cause issues with apps that they have installed.

There is.

When you go to install Catalina you're presented with a list of non-compliant apps, a warning that they won't work, and continue/cancel buttons.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I noticed this one as well as a bug with saving "over" an existing file with the same name. PS ask me to save the file twice which is kind of a bump to the work flow. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sflocal said:

I wish there was a real alternative to Adobe products on the market, I would jump ship immediately. I’ve tried Capture One and didn’t care for it’s user interface. 
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Ah yes, I remember when we were LIED to about moving to the subscription service! Yes, this would allow them to better test new features and work on bugs in real time as issues arise. They'd use that money to build new things and fix old things. Oh! What ever happened to REAL photoshop on the ipad anyway?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    sflocal said:

I wish there was a real alternative to Adobe products on the market, I would jump ship immediately. I’ve tried Capture One and didn’t care for it’s user interface. 
    @pulseimages there is an alternative. You can check out the Affinity suite of products that are a one time payment and don't require a subscription. They offer Affinity Photo (Photoshop replacement) Affinity Publisher (InDesign replacement) and Affinity Designer (Illustrator replacement). They offer a trial as well if you want to check them out.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    grayskyz said:
    Ah yes, I remember when we were LIED to about moving to the subscription service! Yes, this would allow them to better test new features and work on bugs in real time as issues arise. They'd use that money to build new things and fix old things. Oh! What ever happened to REAL photoshop on the ipad anyway?
    @grayskyz ; To answer your question about Photoshop on iPad, Adobe said sometime in 2019 so sometime between now and December 2019 according to this article.. Hope this helps.
    edited October 2019