Apple expected to launch AR Glasses in early 2020

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,836member
    seankill said:
    Pass
    You literally don’t know anything about it, but feel you know enough to say you’re not interested. Ok. 
    boxcatcherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,836member
    spice-boy said:
    What's wrong with "real" reality? 
    Who said there was something wrong? Building additional computing tools doesn’t imply there is. 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Ummm,   wasn't this kind of thing (AR in the visor rather than glasses) one of the biggest selling points of the F35?

For instance:   The pilot can see even under his plane just by looking downwards.
    ...  There is definitely potential here (thinking down the road rather than today)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    spice-boy said:
    What's wrong with augmenting reality with information that may benefit you? 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    netrox said:
    spice-boy said:
    Graphics are so last gen.
    GeorgeBMacEsquireCats
  • Reply 26 of 39
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    netrox said:
    spice-boy said:
    beneficial information such as?
  • Reply 27 of 39
    zhirozhiro Posts: 6member
    I wonder if it'll have a mic for Siri so the phone can stay in your pocket? Or will the Watch be the mic? But opening Siri to 3rd parties is probably related to all this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    There are a plethora of use cases that wearable AR devices can serve across many disciplines. The tough part is getting a product to market that can integrate naturally, intuitively, and non-intrusively with the wearer in their everyday personal and work lives and look good while doing it. This sounds like something that plays to Apple's core strengths in product design and development, so let's hope they can pull it off. If their first generation product simply restores a small percentage of smartphone users away from the "slouched over hand stare" posture and shuffling back to something that at least resembles a Homo Erectus like posture and gait it will be an unmitigated success. Just imagine the sight of modern pedestrians moving down a sidewalk with their heads upright, eyes looking forward, and with some notion of situational awareness of their surroundings. It's crazy, I know, but there's always hope that mankind can reverse its self-induced backslide into the primordial ooze from whence it came - and look snazzy while doing it. 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    spice-boy said:
    netrox said:
    spice-boy said:
    Heart rate, body temperature, pace, distance and time while running, swimming or hiking?  Maybe even respiration rate and glucose level?   
    Warning when you go over the speed limit?
    Lightening warning?
    Important messages?

And, they don't have to be visual -- with the temple piece they could be auditory as well. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    spice-boy said:
    netrox said:
    spice-boy said:
    Heart rate, body temperature, pace, distance and time while running, swimming or hiking?  Maybe even respiration rate and glucose level?   
    Lightening warning?
    Important messages?

And, they don't have to be visual -- with the temple piece they could be auditory as well. 

Okay I guess for people in science or the medical field but I think this will mostly be just another escape from reality tool than something useful 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 31 of 39
    zhiro said:
    I wonder if it'll have a mic for Siri so the phone can stay in your pocket? Or will the Watch be the mic? But opening Siri to 3rd parties is probably related to all this. 
    Not that I place any confidence in this speculation, but I’d imagine there would be a directional mic, like in the AirPods.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Looking forward to this very much. I assume the helmet version is for enterprise/ vertical use - the release of this will be a big deal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    spice-boy said:
    spice-boy said:
    netrox said:
    spice-boy said:
    Lightening warning?
    Important messages?

Okay I guess for people in science or the medical field but I think this will mostly be just another escape from reality tool than something useful 
    Yeh, you're right!   I left "escape from reality" off of my (possible uses) list.   Gaming, for many, allows them to enter a world that is far more attractive and exciting than reality.   It is even encroaching on TV and movies -- where movies are (again, for some) becoming mere segways into new video gaming alternative realities.

But, as Alfred Hitchcock demonstrated, reality (or possible reality) can be far more crazy and scary than fiction (there were no (non-human) monsters in Psycho).
    So, integrating reality and fantasy and merging them into one has incredible potential.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39

There is also a potential dark side to AR depending on how it is implemented.
    Hopefully Apple will help steer it toward the right direction as useful and beneficial.
    I see sensor info, notifications, messaging, navigation, and media consumption as being good possibilities.

However, if Apple is able to make it successful - there may be other companies that follow that may be all about monetizing user's privacy.

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I’m having a hard time believing that the tech required for making an AR headset that is meeting Apple’s vision is mature and ready. It needs to be quite radically improved compared to for instance Magic Leap’s headset. They’re pretty cool for a tech demo, but they’re terrible compared to what we want. Hololens is impressive too in certain aspects, it for a mass market device it’s terrible.
    looking forward to following the development though, of course!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39

Without knowing what technology capabilities Apple might have in their labs, 'gotcha' moments working with the hardware could drive some of the design.

Identifying environment objects may require cameras or sensors (like FaceID tech).
    Locating places of interest (stores, cafes, venues) may use gps - or maybe be identified with those 'tag' things put in these places.
    Tags could identify one's car or pet or other tagged cafes etc that you 'favorite'.

In terms of an 'overlay' hopefully the display would not be in a small rectangular area like Hololens or Magic Leap but fill the field of view.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    spice-boy said:
    Fewer babes
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    I still think we could be looking at another 4-6 years before thin, light, battery efficient wraparound lenses with built-in computing capable of delivering what people expect will be possible and make sense for the average consumer.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 39
    I still think we could be looking at another 4-6 years before thin, light, battery efficient wraparound lenses with built-in computing capable of delivering what people expect will be possible and make sense for the average consumer.
    Yeh, that's a good point.   The battery will be the limiting factor there.   For them to be used in a real life situation (rather than just gaming) the necessary battery will make them either too bulky and/or too heavy.  It will produce a trade-off between functionality and wearability -- because people won't want to look nerdy nor are heavy glasses comfortable to wear.  

Although it may be possible to put one behind the ear -- a bit like the old hearing aids with its chunky ear piece.
    edited October 2019 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra