Tim Cook defends choice to pull Hong Kong police monitoring app from App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    ronn said:
    It wouldn't look so bad if Tim and Apple didn't parrot the lies of the Chinese government. And fly in the face of Tim's rhetoric in the past. It would've been better for him to personally keep quiet.
    Exactly, but parroting high morals about privacy and user-well-being sells more iPhones and helps the legion justify their irrational allegiances to one multi billion dollar tech corporation and their disdain for any other. How many here have and continue to buy Apple products in part because of a misplaced belief that Apple is "good and benign " as opposed to Google who is "conniving and evil" ? The firs 4 post on this thread are just evidents of the worthless times we live in, that a technology company has become so endear to people that even when it does downright shity and callous things it gets a pass just so we can spare our selves the association and inconvenience, how unbearable must the staining of Apple's "tech-Jesus" brand that has come to defy so deeply many people here sense of self, that this is what they now resort to justifying "moral prostitution" for profits.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple is for human rights so long as it doesn’t impact the company’s bottom line. Samsung has moved most if not all of their manufacturing out of China. Apple needs to do the same.
    Samsung did this because it wants to avoid the tariffs .
  • Reply 23 of 85

gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:

avon b7 said:
    I said in another thread that this is a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' case.

Given what has been made public on the reasoning applied to this case, I'm sure most people will be able to understand the decision even if they don't share it.
    Most people will understand, yet realize that Apple chose the money. Which is completely understandable as they are a public company with fiduciary responsibilities. However, Apple lost some of its shine today and the next time Tim has something to speak out on there will be less people listening.
    I wonder why this developer don't write this app for Androids. I like to see how Google responds. 
    Oh, geez, did you even bother to look before posting? I think not. HKMapsLive is available on Google Play. Has been and still is. 
    Anything else you're wondering about but can't be bothered to look? 
    So it is not pulled by Google? 
  • Reply 24 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tzeshan said:

gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:

avon b7 said:
    I said in another thread that this is a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' case.

Given what has been made public on the reasoning applied to this case, I'm sure most people will be able to understand the decision even if they don't share it.
    Most people will understand, yet realize that Apple chose the money. Which is completely understandable as they are a public company with fiduciary responsibilities. However, Apple lost some of its shine today and the next time Tim has something to speak out on there will be less people listening.
    I wonder why this developer don't write this app for Androids. I like to see how Google responds. 
    Oh, geez, did you even bother to look before posting? I think not. HKMapsLive is available on Google Play. Has been and still is. 
    At least as of a couple hours ago it was still there. Perhaps Google is not as motivated to please the Chinese government.
    https://play.google.com › store › apps › details › id=live.hkmap.app
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 25 of 85
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:

gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:

avon b7 said:

Nope. Google is not as motivated to please the Chinese government. 

Let's see how this will change in the next few days. The app is less than one month old. Apple is a very famous company. Maybe the Android version is less known. 
  • Reply 26 of 85
    I can imagine Google is praying people don't notice this app on Androids. 
  • Reply 27 of 85
    But I have publicized it on some Chinese web site. 
  • Reply 28 of 85
    tzeshan said:
    Nice to know there is some good patriotic Chinese informers like yourself who tell the Chinese government whom else to pressure and blackmail. While you are at it, while you don't you tell your handlers to take a bit easier on those millions of Uyghurs they locked up in concentration camps (sorry - education camps). Some of those stupid Westerners have started to notice. 

Just a guess - Google probably doesn't care as much about China since they essentially left in 2009 and don't have much activity left there. Unlike Apple.
    john.bblue orangeJWSC
  • Reply 29 of 85
    tzeshan said:
    Nice to know there is some good patriotic Chinese informers like yourself who tell the Chinese government whom else to pressure and blackmail. While you are at it, while you don't you tell your handlers to take a bit easier on those millions of Uyghurs they locked up in concentration camps (sorry - education camps). Some of those stupid Westerners have started to notice. 

Just a guess - Google probably doesn't care as much about China since they essentially left in 2009 and don't have much activity left there. Unlike Apple.
    Don't challenge me. I am very knowledgeable about every thing. For example, can you tell me why US still jail thousands of muslims in Cuba base? 
  • Reply 30 of 85

tzeshan said:

Also tell me after 911 why US needs to spend trillions on homeland security? 
  • Reply 31 of 85

tzeshan said:

Also I see many western people see don't care about truth. They feel very happy not knowing what foreigner said. They are happy to be fed only news by western media. But doesn't seeking truth require you look at facts from all available facts? 
  • Reply 32 of 85
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    People are always eager to say what Apple should do when it isn’t their @$$ on the line.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Geez a lot of commenters here should get into politics. You'd be able to sort out all these simple problems quickly and make the world, finally, a great place to live.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:

Don't challenge me. I am very knowledgeable about every thing. For example, can you tell me why US still jail thousands of muslims in Cuba base? 
    Look every discussion with a Putin or xi Jinping fanboy is the same. What about Guantanamo? What about Native Americans and taking away their lands? What about slavery? There is a reason this is called whataboutism.

But I can go and freely state in this country that guantanamo prison is a mistake or that our president. Is a roaming lunatic. I can't do that in China. That's all I am going to say about this.

Now go back to Google agiprop. There is work to do for you.
    blue orangedoozydozen
  • Reply 35 of 85
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

My wife and I have lawyer friends in HK, and they are staying clear of any potential client connected with the protest violence.  Not saying this is right.  They are just scared.  It is shocking how bad the situation has become in a truly unique city that fuses eastern and western culture so well.

The protestors have been targeting local businesses that they believe support the HK government.  The destruction and violence caused by the protesters is an invitation to mainland China to act, and not in a good way.

Apple’s HK stores may be at risk now.  Security should be increased immediately.

edited October 2019 doozydozen
  • Reply 36 of 85
    JWSC said:

My wife and I have lawyer friends in HK, and they are staying clear of any potential client connected with the protest violence.  Not saying this is right.  They are just scared.  It is shocking how bad the situation has become is a truly unique city that fuses eastern and western culture so well.

The protestors have been targeting local businesses that they belief support the HK government.  The destruction and violence caused by the protesters is an invitation to mainland China to act, and not in a good way.

Apple’s HK stores may be at risk now.  Security should be increased immediately.

I think Beijing will try its best not to directly involve .  And there is big risk for US too. If Beijing acts then US government has no choice but to accept these protesters as political refugees. And I think this is secret motive these people are doing. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 37 of 85

tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:

Look every discussion with a Putin or xi Jinping fanboy is the same. What about Guantanamo? What about Native Americans and taking away their lands? What about slavery? There is a reason this is called whataboutism.

But I can go and freely state in this country that guantanamo prison is a mistake or that our president. Is a roaming lunatic. I can't do that in China. That's all I am going to say about this.

Now go back to Google agiprop. There is work to do for you.
    You don't notice there is some logical problem in your ways of seeking truth? You are proud that you can criticize Guantanamo. But you don't care there are still inmates jailed there. Similarly you want fight for freedom. Yet you don't care if those protesters destroy properties and cause physical harm to innocent people. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 38 of 85
    This app is far worse than other crowd-sourced app for the following reasons:

1. Developers choice to demarcate ‘anti-riot’ police spotted with icon of ‘dog’. Who in a sane mind/without ill-intention will do so?

2. Highly sensitive information such as number of police officers, what kind of gears (eg round shield) they are carrying, etc are being provided at each demarcation spot. Who in the sane mind/without ill-intention will allow such info to be publicly shared.

Honestly, if the real intention of the app developers is to allow people to avoid areas where protests or riots are happening, such sensitive information is unnecessary. It should have been much like any map/navigation app where accidents are just merely demarcated without further details (i.e. traffic police at scene, ambulance at scene, etc).

Anyone with neutral mindset and understanding mandarin looking at the data/info available will clearly see that the app’s real intention is NOT what the app developers say it is.

There is no way for Apple to win on the PR front in this situation. But, I believe they made the right decision finally. For anyone who has seen the vast video footages online, these rioters are simply beating people up even for harmless things such as wearing wrong color clothings (be it being foreigners/tourists), comments that doesn’t support them or not pleasing to their ears.

Businesses are greatly affected and even to the extend that on some days, firms have to declare office closure and ask employees to leave the office swiftly and make their way home safely due to protest heading to the firm’s location/building.

I wonder if the app developers will allow upload of 'protesters' position if their real intention is to allow others to avoid areas where protests/riots are happening? If that's the real intention, then it should have been build to allow this, not just police positions.
    edited October 2019 doozydozen
  • Reply 39 of 85
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    ronn said:
    It wouldn't look so bad if Tim and Apple didn't parrot the lies of the Chinese government. And fly in the face of Tim's rhetoric in the past. It would've been better for him to personally keep quiet.
    That's an unfair accusation. You are just being disrespectful to Tim who does what he must (not what he should do). It's unreasonable to expect Apple, as a company who is doing business, to go against the government where it does the business. 
  • Reply 40 of 85
    doctwelve said:
    Geez a lot of commenters here should get into politics. You'd be able to sort out all these simple problems quickly and make the world, finally, a great place to live.
    Maybe some topics are inherently political. You can choose to believe Tim Cook's explanation that is purely a legal and public safety issue and business as usual. Or you might think of it as a disingeneous excuse after the Chinese government applied considerable pressure and threats on a company that has all it's main production facilities and a good chunk of it's consumers located in that country .