What is the Best Sub-$200 PDA

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, my three year old Handspring Visor broke this afternoon. The screen is cracked. It is still usable, but barely. I must now buy a new one. I don't mind buying on eBay if neccessary, but either way, I would like not to spend much more than $100. I don't need the newest and best thing out there, but I don't want an old piece of junk either. Thanks.

Philip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDude

Well, my three year old Handspring Visor broke this afternoon. The screen is cracked. It is still usable, but barely. I must now buy a new one. I don't mind buying on eBay if neccessary, but either way, I would like not to spend much more than $100. I don't need the newest and best thing out there, but I don't want an old piece of junk either. Thanks.

Philip

I've been looking myself. I think the Sony SJ22 which just came out is well-priced and pretty good.

Alex.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Zire!

For simple needs, the light weight and rechagable battery can't be beat. Looks good around an ibook too.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Newton!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Newton!

I've got a Newton and I love it, but it too big to be practical. I need something I can fit in my pocket, not a tote bag.

I've looked at the Zire, but I'm not sure about it. How is it? The ones I've used feel cheap.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDude

I don't need the newest and best thing out there, but I don't want an old piece of junk either. Thanks.

Philip

iDude - Based on your needs, I'd consider the Palm m130. It goes for around $199 now, and supports 160x160 resolution, in color, with 8 MB of RAM. It's not the highest resolution, or the maximum colors, but the screen is very sharp.

For basic handheld use, this one works really nicely. I wouldn't recommend buying the Zire because it's black and white. I waited for 5 years to buy a PDA because I was not going to buy anything less than color, and I was not going to spend over $250. The Palm m130 I bought a year ago has met my needs perfectly.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 6 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I'm thinking about picking up a Handspring Treo 90 at the $199 closeout price. It's got a nice color screen, useful thumb keyboard, and excellent transparent flip cover. If only the Treo 90 had Bluetooth built-in! On the other hand, the "new" Sony Clié SJ-22 looks like a good deal and features a high-res screen.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I'd go with Ensoniq on the Palm m130, if you wanted color. I have a m125, a m130 with grayscale, and saves you around $50. The Zire is junk, no expansion options whatsoever and minimal memory.

I'm not sure about pricing, but the next one up is the m515(?), it's grayscale if you can live with that and automatically recharges off the USB when you plug it in. I run through batteries on my m125 like nothing, can't imagine a m130 with that color screen.

I think the Palm i705 has Bluetooth and wireless internet capabilities but not sure on cost.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I'm thinking about picking up a Handspring Treo 90 at the $199 closeout price. It's got a nice color screen, useful thumb keyboard, and excellent transparent flip cover. If only the Treo 90 had Bluetooth built-in! On the other hand, the "new" Sony Clié SJ-22 looks like a good deal and features a high-res screen.

Escher

I'd stay away from the treo just because the screen is extremely washed out and uneven in lighting. The thumb keyboard is nice once you get used to it though. And the price is right, I guess. But, Palm OS 4. :ick:
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I think the m135 would be a fantastic cheap little PDA. Its attaractive and does cool stuff that cheap PDAs wouln't be expected to do...liek a WinCE PDA for ex.