Mac shipments grow slightly, but Apple's PC market share shrinks [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    nubusnubus Posts: 382member
    nubus said:
    How can ACSI report that Samsung is ahead of Apple in customer satisfaction for desktops in the US?
    I get that Samsung is ahead of Apple in dishwashers, but how can Samsung be ahead in a category they don't have any products in?
    Easy.  According to ACSI, customers who purchased Samsung desktops were overall more satisfied with their purchase than customers who purchased Apple desktops.  Quick example: Apple customers rated their desktop purchase satisfaction level at a 97 on average.  Samsung customers rated their desktop purchase satisfaction l

Let me repeat: The ACSI survey shows that customers prefer something that doesn't exist (Samsung doesn't sell desktops in the US) to Apple. The Samsung marketing team took that one a bit too far.
    watto_cobraDancingMonkeys
  • Reply 22 of 35
    RajkaRajka Posts: 32member
    I am a decades long staunch customer who was passionate for (nearly) everything Apple for decades. Today, I'm not even remotely satisfied with Apple. It has lost its mojo and is nothing but yet another boring behemoth corporation. I guess nobody polled me or my friends. We're all pretty disgusted with the trajectory Apple is on today.
    ElCapitanAppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Rajka said:
    I am a decades long staunch customer who was passionate for (nearly) everything Apple for decades. Today, I'm not even remotely satisfied with Apple. It has lost its mojo and is nothing but yet another boring behemoth corporation. I guess nobody polled me or my friends. We're all pretty disgusted with the trajectory Apple is on today.
    Agreed,

Here a large number of systems will not be replaced by Apple kit when they are decommissioned as it is no longer possible or economically viable to run systems we used to run on macOS. (and no, it does not have anything to do with 32-bit).

The largely insane pricing combined with non upgradeable and non-repairable components, hits extra hard in many markets because of a very strong dollar, and in some geos like Europe where VAT of up to 25% is added, it makes Macs prohibitively expensive. 

As others have pointed out, both developers and system admins are experiencing upgrade fatigue over the once per year major update cycle, where features announced in one version is only fixed, or in some cases made available in the next major release. 

The path Apple is down on is simply not sustainable for anyone but the fanbois who will swallow any release or model regardless of fundamental flaws and shortcomings.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 24 of 35
    nubus said:
    nubus said:
    How can ACSI report that Samsung is ahead of Apple in customer satisfaction for desktops in the US?
    I get that Samsung is ahead of Apple in dishwashers, but how can Samsung be ahead in a category they don't have any products in?
    Easy.  According to ACSI, customers who purchased Samsung desktops were overall more satisfied with their purchase than customers who purchased Apple desktops.  Quick example: Apple customers rated their desktop purchase satisfaction level at a 97 on average.  Samsung customers rated their desktop purchase satisfaction l

Let me repeat: The ACSI survey shows that customers prefer something that doesn't exist (Samsung doesn't sell desktops in the US) to Apple. The Samsung marketing team took that one a bit too far.
    Samsung sold AiO desktops in the US.  You can still get them from Amazon and other online retailers.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 35
    rob53 said:
    I wonder how much of this excess inventory of non-Apple PCs will actually be sold. I understand the desire to bring in as much equipment as possible before the crazy tariffs are levied but I also wonder how much of an excess inventory these companies will have to pay business taxes on. 
    If what you say is true, which it probably is, then these numbers are useless.  Apple could be kicking it or its competitors could be running away with the PC market, but we wouldn't know either way due to everybody stocking up before the tariffs are implemented.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    - And if I still managed to ignore that, I plug it in for a minute, as I pee or make a coffee or get water, and guess what?   
    I guess fluids are very important to you and that you're well hydrated. :smiley: 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 35
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    Apple computers in my most recent experience no longer 'just work' and the only mac I'd consider now is an iMac I can still upgrade or replace consumables such as storage...

Is annual macOS churn for new hardware as brutal as Macworld was for product pipelines, eventually ended by SJ recognizing it was a big (just one of many) 'bag of hurt'...?

Even the most elemental mouse was 'upgraded' to 'onboard' proprietary batteries and the thing can't be used while it is being charged. Perhaps someone can explain how this (design or logic) change even remotely benefits customers...?

The loss of headphone jack on iPhone now begs an octopus of adapter dongle mess to use my 'better than apple' wired headphones and wall adapter.

Have macs gotten faster? Yes remarkably so (especially graphics) and yet we have a mini that now only has integrated graphics - try the eGPU reviews to understand why this is a non-starter.

We've lost so many basic useful features (target display, flex vesa mount for iMac, among others) - less is not more for this lifetime business user and regrettably increasingly reticent customer...

So much ignorance, so little time...

- Figure it out already: normals don't care about upgrading storage. I'm even a techie, have built countless machines, and I have zero interest in upgrading storage on any iMac. It's not worth the hassle, and DIY tinkering isn't why I bought a Mac. Few do, which is why no one cares about this issue. 

- I've had both the Magic Mouse w/ AAs and the new one w/ Lightning charging. The new one is way, way better. Why? Because I already have a Lightning charing cable coming out of my Mac to charge my iPhone, or my iPad, or my AirPods, or my Magic Keyboard, or my TouchPad. Add now my Mouse. It's a no-brainer. 

- Unlike you, I have and use the Mouse, and know first-hand that the OCD complaint by web commenters is meaningless. At no point would I ever, or do I need to, use the Mouse while charging it. Why? Because it now gets about a month of use. Afterward my Mac pushes a notification reminding me to charge it when I'm done for the day. And if I still managed to ignore that, I plug it in for a minute, as I pee or make a coffee or get water, and guess what? All day battery again. Oops. Are you actually saying if you somehow managed to not charge for a month, and ignored the warning, that you don't have 60 seconds to go pee?

- The iPhone has a headphone jack. A nice digital one. The loss of the legacy analog one means dick to 99% of the population, because most people use the headphones that come in the box. Additionally, I use bluetooth headphones (AirPods) which are amazingly awesome. At no point have I ever need any nonsense about dongles. Use the fucking adapter if you're so in love with your mini-phono headphones, nobody's stopping ya.

You dudes try so hard. Please your hearts. 
    Yes, indeed. Some folks seem dedicated to rehashing these stock “complaints” that they allege are indicative of the downfall of Apple. As you’ve covered here, the flaws aren’t really flaws. I’ll just add to it that these complaints also ignore the design and reliability train wrecks that exist in the competition. The comparative windows and android stuff continues to be loaded with buggy bloatware, cutting-edge (in)compatibility problems, and highway-construction-based design aesthetics. Then you can top that off with the crickets in the peanut gallery when competitors like Samsung also ditch headphone jacks while quietly pulling their previous ads that mocked Apple for doing the same thing. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    I guess I'm a sentimentalist; I bought into Apple's exquisite hardware and software design ethos early on.

I've always leaned towards the consumer line over the more expensive Pro line and the portable/mobile over the heavy.

I love my 2017 rose gold MacBook. It is the quintessential example of Job's ideal. Light, thin, beautiful, and just a joy to own. I don't want seven cables attached to my MacBook.

I still am rocking a rose gold Se for the same reasons I like the MacBook. (The new iPhones sure are heavy!)

I have an iPad mini 2...but hardly use it at all.

AppleTV/iTunes is the only way I watch TV. I don't go to Movies b/c people eat like donkeys! :)

I will not have any MicroSoft, Google, FaceBook offal on any of my devices.

I use DuckDuckGo...and very soon will be using a good VPN.

I avoid all third-party software.

Anyway...best regards.

P.S. My AirPods are the most brilliant device Apple has done since the 2017 MacBook!
    This is a seriously weird flex.  It's absent of context and an unusual overshare.  Everything all right there?
    Haha...I thought the same thing after hitting the send button...just feeling a little nostalgic, thanks. :)
    CloudTalkinSoliAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    entropys said:
    I've had both the Magic Mouse w/ AAs and the new one w/ Lightning charging. The new one is way, way better. Why? Because I already have a Lightning charing cable coming out of my Mac to charge my iPhone, or my iPad, or my AirPods, or my Magic Keyboard, or my TouchPad. Add now my Mouse. It's a no-brainer. 

While what you say about better performance is true, being unable to use the mouse while recharging is an embarrassing design flaw that implies design decisions were too heavily weighted towards form than function. While I like actually using the mouse,  I find the design kinda offensive every time I recharge it.
    Nope, it sure isn’t. It’s completely unnecessary to use it while charging, since the quick charge only takes a minute or so. After the day’s work is done leave it charging and it’s good for another month. 

You might expect to use it while charging, but that doesn’t make it a flaw. 
    edited October 2019 macplusplusfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Rajka said:
    Heard this one before. Ok I’ll bite, and what is it you love about Dells and Androids compared to Macs and iPhone? Because if what you’re claiming is true you must surely be using those platforms and all their awesome. 

Lost their mojo my ass. 
    macpluspluswatto_cobraDancingMonkeys
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Rajka said:
    Heard this one before. Ok I’ll bite, and what is it you love about Dells and Androids compared to Macs and iPhone? Because if what you’re claiming is true you must surely be using those platforms and all their awesome. 

Lost their mojo my ass. 
    Can't speak to Android but I've never used it but I'm really enjoying my employer-supplied Dell Latitude running Ubuntu that I'm using for work.  The keyboard is epic, the build feels solid, and I have both Thunderbolt 3 and USB-A to choose from.   Apple seems intent on taking new features such as workspaces and exposé and actively making them keyboardist-hostile, whereas there are ample keyboard shortcuts on Linux window managers.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    AppleZulu said:
    Apple computers in my most recent experience no longer 'just work' and the only mac I'd consider now is an iMac I can still upgrade or replace consumables such as storage...

Is annual macOS churn for new hardware as brutal as Macworld was for product pipelines, eventually ended by SJ recognizing it was a big (just one of many) 'bag of hurt'...?

Even the most elemental mouse was 'upgraded' to 'onboard' proprietary batteries and the thing can't be used while it is being charged. Perhaps someone can explain how this (design or logic) change even remotely benefits customers...?

The loss of headphone jack on iPhone now begs an octopus of adapter dongle mess to use my 'better than apple' wired headphones and wall adapter.

Have macs gotten faster? Yes remarkably so (especially graphics) and yet we have a mini that now only has integrated graphics - try the eGPU reviews to understand why this is a non-starter.

We've lost so many basic useful features (target display, flex vesa mount for iMac, among others) - less is not more for this lifetime business user and regrettably increasingly reticent customer...

So much ignorance, so little time...

- Figure it out already: normals don't care about upgrading storage. I'm even a techie, have built countless machines, and I have zero interest in upgrading storage on any iMac. It's not worth the hassle, and DIY tinkering isn't why I bought a Mac. Few do, which is why no one cares about this issue. 

- I've had both the Magic Mouse w/ AAs and the new one w/ Lightning charging. The new one is way, way better. Why? Because I already have a Lightning charing cable coming out of my Mac to charge my iPhone, or my iPad, or my AirPods, or my Magic Keyboard, or my TouchPad. Add now my Mouse. It's a no-brainer. 

- Unlike you, I have and use the Mouse, and know first-hand that the OCD complaint by web commenters is meaningless. At no point would I ever, or do I need to, use the Mouse while charging it. Why? Because it now gets about a month of use. Afterward my Mac pushes a notification reminding me to charge it when I'm done for the day. And if I still managed to ignore that, I plug it in for a minute, as I pee or make a coffee or get water, and guess what? All day battery again. Oops. Are you actually saying if you somehow managed to not charge for a month, and ignored the warning, that you don't have 60 seconds to go pee?

- The iPhone has a headphone jack. A nice digital one. The loss of the legacy analog one means dick to 99% of the population, because most people use the headphones that come in the box. Additionally, I use bluetooth headphones (AirPods) which are amazingly awesome. At no point have I ever need any nonsense about dongles. Use the fucking adapter if you're so in love with your mini-phono headphones, nobody's stopping ya.

You dudes try so hard. Please your hearts. 
    Yes, indeed. Some folks seem dedicated to rehashing these stock “complaints” that they allege are indicative of the downfall of Apple. As you’ve covered here, the flaws aren’t really flaws. I’ll just add to it that these complaints also ignore the design and reliability train wrecks that exist in the competition. The comparative windows and android stuff continues to be loaded with buggy bloatware, cutting-edge (in)compatibility problems, and highway-construction-based design aesthetics. Then you can top that off with the crickets in the peanut gallery when competitors like Samsung also ditch headphone jacks while quietly pulling their previous ads that mocked Apple for doing the same thing. 

The Mouse one is old and they keep rehashing it.

Guys , listen, you're not a better designer than Jony. Sorry. The reason Apple decided to charge this way is because:

1. It would look ugly having a port disrupt the seamless design.

2. Most people are not tech savvy and would think it has to be plugged in to work. This happened with their keyboards which again killed the point of bluetooth and looked ugly and outdated.

"The loss of headphone jack on iPhone now begs an octopus of adapter dongle mess"

Octo means 8. Why the hell do you need 8 ports? iPhones never had more than 2!!

"Even the most elemental mouse was 'upgraded' to 'onboard' proprietary batteries and the thing can't be used while it is being charged. Perhaps someone can explain how this (design or logic) change even remotely benefits customers...?"

By not having to spend so much money and time going to the damn store!! Seriously dude!!

I remember when we ran a recording studio. One day we needed new batteries and had no access to transportation. We had to walk for 30 minutes in the heat to get to the nearest store and 30 minutes to get back. When I saw the new internal battery Magic Mice it was a godsend!!

And that's just one story. Other times we'd move the studio and set it up only to find the keyboard/mouse needed new batteries.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    nubus said:
    nubus said:

Samsung sold AiO desktops in the US.  You can still get them from Amazon and other online retailers.

I guess the 100 people who bought them really loved their Windows machine!

Just looked them up and wow their Amazon reviews are horrid!!
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nubus said:
    nubus said:

I guess the 100 people who bought them really loved their Windows machine!

Just looked them up and wow their Amazon reviews are horrid!!
    You sorta missed the point entirely didn't you?  That point being, nubus claimed that Samsung doesn't sell desktops in the US.  As evidenced by you finding them exactly where I said they were, it's obvious he's wrong.  What's also obvious is the people who reviewed them on Amazon weren't the same people who ACSI surveyed... unless they were bi-polar.  ;)  
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Here's how it ends for Apple. The kids.
     My 14 year old son was cross-examined by some kids he goes to school about the specific parts of his computer... what chip did he have, what  videocard did he have. The type of videocard was actually the main part of their contest. Thank goodness my son had a 2080 Ti custom built $6400 computer (built by me). My son had a little difficulty explaining the concept of a custom rig, but it was THE IDEA that he had a custom rig, meaning, as he explained it "all the parts were from different places around the world" (tee hee), that won the day for him with some jaw dropping from his inquisitive peers. He said to me, after telling me the story that "they seemed to be really interested in the specs, and they kind of seemed like they knew what they were talking about". 
    If you're keeping up with the kids, the 'parts' manufacturers like NVIDIA and AMD are aggressively turning the computer market from the standard brand on a box to a parts competition, much like Intel did eons ago with 'Intel Inside'.
    Can't do parts with a brand on a box Mac,
    And the sum of spending on marketing by parts manufacturers (from GPUs to motherboards), fueled by video bloggers and Benchmark sites and gaming) is overwhelming Apple's ability to fight them off all by itself.
    It's over soon for Apple,  the company that was really good at pretending it was bigger than it ever was. It was amazing and revolutionary under Jobs, but he's gone.