Nomad upcoming Base Station Pro achieves AirPower-like free placement Qi charging

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
Upcoming Base Station Pro from Nomad is able to charge three devices simultaneously without worrying about placement, similar to Apple's ill-fated AirPower.

Nomad Base Station Pro
Nomad Base Station Pro

AirPower's failures may have finally been fixed -- though not by Apple. Nomad, in a partnership with technology company Aira, is announcing an upcoming wireless charger that touts completely free placement for up to three devices.

Nomad's Base Station Pro, which is set to launch this November, is an upgraded version of its existing Base Station (review). Now instead of three Qi coils, there are coils all across the surface that will enable three devices to be placed anywhere on its premium leather surface.

Nomad Base Station Pro
Nomad Base Station Pro

Each of the three devices can charge at up to 5W each and will work with any Qi-enabled devices. That includes iPhones and AirPods but unfortunately not Apple Watch.

Nomad was able to achieve such a feat thanks to a partnership with Aira and its FreePower technology.

Nomad Base Station Pro exploded view
Nomad Base Station Pro exploded view

FreePower users a large wireless coil matrix paired with its proprietary power delivery algorithms that detect the devices quickly and optimizes the charge for each device.

Aira is set to debut its FreePower technology that is utilized in Base Station Pro this Sunday, October 13th on Shark Tank.

Nomad Base Station Pro
Nomad Base Station Pro

Base Station Pro is covered in padded leather with an aluminum body. It is powered by a 27W USB-C charger that is included in the box.

Starting today, users can sign up to be notified about the availability of Base Station Pro before the November launch.

Currently, the existing Base Station is still available as is the popular Base Station + Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    If the Nomad Base Station Pro can't charge an Apple Watch, then it is like all the other charge pads and not like AirPower.
    chasmEsquireCatscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Sigh. Yeah, agreed. But the blame falls on Apple for how they're handling Apple Watch charging (apparently using some kind of extension of Qi, but not going through the process to register it with the standards firm, I guess?).
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It is a solid pad, not a roll up pad. And doesn’t charge Apple Watch.  So why even mention AirPower?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    entropys said:
    It is a solid pad, not a roll up pad. And doesn’t charge Apple Watch.  So why even mention AirPower?
    It because it's an obviously similar product that has more in common with AirPower's desired charging capabilities than it has differences.  AirPower was supposed to be a place anywhere 3 device charger that could charge a watch, a phone, and AirPods.  Nomad's BSP is a place anywhere 3 device charger that can charge a combination of phones and AirPods.  The big achievement was the place anywhere, not watch charging.  It's also obvious that AirPower was the inspiration for this and the AirUnleashed 3 device charger.  
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I agree with 75% (so far) of the replies, it is not the same as the AirPower that Apple decided not to pursue as the underlying technology was too 'green'.  Interesting to read to the comment about the Apple Watch
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If the Nomad Base Station Pro can't charge an Apple Watch, then it is like all the other charge pads and not like AirPower.
    How is it not like the AirPower?  Neither could charge the Apple Watch.  :D :D
    revenantIreneWcaladanian
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Phil Schiller offering a sneak peak at the AirPower charging pad back in 2017
    Phil Schiller offering a sneak peak at the AirPower charging pad back in 2017

Apple Senior Vice President Dan Riccio ~March 29 2019
    "After much effort, we've concluded AirPower will not achieve our high standards and we have cancelled the project. We apologize to those customers who were looking forward to this launch. We continue to believe that the future is wireless and are committed to push the wireless experience forward."

:D :D
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I wish this charger was like the AirPower's promise of charging an Apple Watch. I like the format of this Nomad and the idea that you can just plop a phone or AirPods down on a mat with almost zero regard to placement, and they'll charge. I really like the fit and finish of Nomad kit and if this charged Watches, I'd get one in a heartbeat. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    macgui said:
    I wish this charger was like the AirPower's promise of charging an Apple Watch. I like the format of this Nomad and the idea that you can just plop a phone or AirPods down on a mat with almost zero regard to placement, and they'll charge. I really like the fit and finish of Nomad kit and if this charged Watches, I'd get one in a heartbeat. 
    The leather is fine, the plastic frame not so. I liked the hexagon pattern in the explosion diagram. Without watch charging no deal either way. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Since Watch + Phone charging is literally the only point of wireless charging, what void does this fill? Does it charge the Pencil?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Jon Gruber got to see a pre-production AirPower, put his own Watch on and it registered "charging" just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Jon Gruber got to see a pre-production AirPower, put his own Watch on and it registered "charging" just fine.
    Ha! Pre-production.  Do you know how may pre-production products work?  Typically all of them - under very controlled conditions.   Pre-production sapphire glass from GTAT worked too. :D The overall point is AirPower couldn't do the job it was designed to do.  So trying to hold Nomad to some impossible ideal is silly.  Many like me continue to believe that as long as the Apple watch is charged by that proprietary Qi fork, the "charging triumvirate" of iPhone, watch, AirPods will remain a "place anywhere" pipe dream. 

Most important of all.  You missed the joke entirely.  I even put emoji in there to avoid a Poe's Law situation.