Apple hits all-time share price high and highest market capitalization

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited October 2019
Following on from becoming a trillion-dollar company Apple has reached its highest valuation of all time today, during a trading period that put its shares at their highest price ever at $237.64.

Apple started the day with a share price of $232.95, but as the day moved on, the price continued to grow until it reached its peak of $237.64. The company ended the trading day slightly lower, at $236.21, representing a single-day gain of $6.12 or 2.66%.

The last time Apple hit an all-time intraday high was in October 2018, when it reached $233.47. As it stands, the company is now far above the trillion-dollar valuation milestone, and now has a market capitalization of $1.07 trillion.

Apple's day in trading for October 11, 2019 (via Google)
Apple's day in trading for October 11, 2019 (via Google)

The high share price is likely attributable to an optimistic outlook on a trade agreement between the United States and China, with negotiators on both sides said to have reached a preliminary agreement, reports CNN, but stopped short of a comprehensive deal. The agreement is thought to include some US tariffs relief, which is likely to help companies like Apple that are affected by the extra import charges.

It is also possible that the agreement could reverse an incoming tariff set to start on December 15, which would raise the costs of iPhone imports by 10%.

The stratospheric share price is a good sign for investors ahead of Apple's quarterly results, which is set to be revealed on October 30. The call should cover key performance metrics for the quarter, including early launch month results for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My AAPL holdings thank Apple!

Perhaps I will treat myself to a nice steak dinner tonight, or maybe I'll buy a new iPad Pro if one is announced soon, or maybe I'll do both! 

And now I just use DRIP for the dividends, so that my share amount will slowly but surely increase every single quarter. Over time, every small thing adds up.
    edited October 2019 anantksundaramleavingthebiggchasm
  • Reply 2 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    AAPL reached a market cap of 1.067T, equalling MSFT’s 1.067T. Tied!
    anantksundaramcy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Onward and upward...
    apple ][watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    Quite amazing, these two being founded by two amazing workhorses and frenemies of the modern tech era, Jobs and Gates. Now they are two most co-valuable companies in the world.

No tech founder anywhere, not Bell, not Flint/Watson, not Hewlett, not Packard, not Edison, nor any tech founder since, has been able to match this.

What an incredible achievement.
    edited October 2019 MacQcbb-15
  • Reply 5 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    Quite amazing, these two being founded by two amazing workhorses and frenemies of the modern tech era, Jobs and Gates. Now they are two most co-valuable companies in the world.

No tech founder anywhere, not Bell, not Flint/Watson, not Hewlett, not Packard, not Edison, nor any tech founder since, has been able to match this.

this is worth a watch to put things in perspective. Apple is still small fry compared to the true king a $7.9trillion company.

the video is by a studio called cold fusion and it looks at the top 8 companies by market cap.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=coIn8DopwY0
  • Reply 6 of 50
    lkrupp said:

this is worth a watch to put things in perspective. Apple is still small fry compared to the true king a $7.9trillion company.

the video is by a studio called cold fusion and it looks at the top 8 companies by market cap.

The Dutch India Company is an old chestnut. Sure, if you compound at inflation over all those hundreds of years, any small number will look impressive. (Others bring up Saudi Aramco, still a private company). Big deal.

No company in the world has traded at the market cap of AAPL or MSFT.      
    edited October 2019 SolilkruppAppleExposedronnbb-15StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Got my AAPL shorts placed. Looking for a repeat of October 2018.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Microsoft can’t even hold Apple’s jock strap. They are making Android devices now (FAIL!), making MacBook wanna be hardware, and ripping businesses off with three decade old office crap software that now requires a monthly subscription fee. Oh and the Tuesday Windows updates that cause more problems than they solve - there is no innovation. Long live Apple!
    zeus423radarthekatAppleExposedhydrogenfotoformatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    What???? I thought Apple is doomed 
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, $1.07 trillion is not “far higher” than a trillion. In fact, I believe it’s less than it was last year because of the stock buybacks, resulting in a lot fewer shares, more than making up for the $3.50 extra stock price. It doesn’t really matter, but this is a discussion of that, so I thought I’d mention it. For most people the share price matters much more than the total valuation.

but let’s be careful here. Stock prices are very much in thrall to the trade war ebbing and waning. Next week, the market could be down by several percent, or up by several percent. It’s very unpredictable these days.
    edited October 2019 radarthekatbadmonk
  • Reply 11 of 50
    melgross said:
    Well, $1.07 trillion is not “far higher” than a trillion. In fact, I believe it’s less than it was last year because of the stock buybacks, resulting in a lot fewer shares, more than making up for the $3.50 extra stock price. It doesn’t really matter, but this is a discussion of that, so I thought I’d mention it. For most people the share price matters much more than the total valuation.

but let’s be careful here. Stock prices are very much in thrall to the trade war ebbing and waning. Next week, the market could be down by several percent, or up by several percent. It’s very unpredictable these days.
    Exactly right about the wild gyrations. If someone sneezes on Tuesday, AAPL drops $8 on Wednesday. The wildness of the stock may be useful for day traders and other speculators, but the overall trend still looks fairly solid for longs.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:

The Dutch India Company is an old chestnut. Sure, if you compound at inflation over all those hundreds of years, any small number will look impressive. (Others bring up Saudi Aramco, still a private company). Big deal.

No company in the world has traded at the market cap of AAPL or MSFT.      
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's fine to bring up these other companies for an interesting comparison of relative value, but it's not an apt comparison when talking about a sustainable market cap of a modern, publicly traded company. I wouldn't even count PetroChina because their rise to $1.1 trillion was not sustained—I think they hit that on their opening day and then fell drastically to never return again. Back when Apple was about to become the first publicly traded company to close over $1 trillion I said that I wouldn't count it unless it's a sustainable rise and fall, not a flash in the pan. They've gone below and then Microsoft got ahead, but both are opening and closing within 13 digits with frequency and for long periods.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    apple ][ said:

Perhaps I will treat myself to a nice steak dinner tonight, or maybe I'll buy a new iPad Pro if one is announced soon, or maybe I'll do both! 

And now I just use DRIP for the dividends, so that my share amount will slowly but surely increase every single quarter. Over time, every small thing adds up.
    You do you, but I suggest that if you want a nice steak dinner tonight you do so for its own sake or some other reason because the value you have tied up in Apple doesn't mean anything until you sell.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    melgross said:

Right, always point out the downside, the negative, the dark cloud. Heaven forbid anyone should be happy and thrilled. Keep your head down and stay depressed, disappointed, unimpressed, finding no joy in anything. Point out the flaws, not the strengths. Keep your feet firmly planted in grey clay. How in hell does mankind ever achieve anything. There’s this stinker of movie out there called Melancholia about screwed up people waiting for the end of the world. Sergei Rachmaninoff went into a deep depression after the failure of his Symphony No.1. After his psychiatrist brought him out of it the result was his famous Piano Concerto No. 2, one of the most beloved pieces of music ever written. He dedicated it to his psychiatrist, Dr. Dahl. 

Oh, and keep bitching about anything Apple says or does. It’s the only way to live. And the Dutch East India Company FTW! Apple is an insignificant, irrelevant small time operation.

Man, this place is amazing in its ability to stay in the doldrums.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 15 of 50
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

Right, always point out the downside, the negative, the dark cloud. Heaven forbid anyone should be happy and thrilled. Keep your head down and stay depressed, disappointed, unimpressed, finding no joy in anything. Point out the flaws, not the strengths. Keep your feet firmly planted in grey clay. How in hell does mankind ever achieve anything. There’s this stinker of movie out there called Melancholia about screwed up people waiting for the end of the world. Sergei Rachmaninoff went into a deep depression after the failure of his Symphony No.1. After his psychiatrist brought him out of it the result was his famous Piano Concerto No. 2, one of the most beloved pieces of music ever written. He dedicated it to his psychiatrist, Dr. Dahl. 

Oh, and keep bitching about anything Apple says or does. It’s the only way to live. And the Dutch East India Company FTW! Apple is an insignificant, irrelevant small time operation.

I think Mel has 100,000 AAPL shares, if memory serves.  He’s hardly a Debbie Downer.  
    edited October 2019 ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Soli said:
    apple ][ said:

You do you, but I suggest that if you want a nice steak dinner tonight you do so for its own sake or some other reason because the value you have tied up in Apple doesn't mean anything until you sell.
    That is of course true, we're talking about paper profits.

No matter what were to happen or what events were to take place, there is a zero percent chance of me selling any of my stock anytime soon. I'll see where we are in 10 years from now, and take it from there.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

I think Mel has 100,000 AAPL shares, if memory serves.  He’s hardly a Debbie Downer.  
    $23,000,000 in Apple shares? Not bad at all, if the amount is correct.
    AppleExposedmobird
  • Reply 18 of 50
    melgross said:
    Next week, the market could be down by several percent, or up by several percent. It’s very unpredictable these days.
    Actually, the volatility (see the VIX, for instance) these past couple of years has been no worse than the prior few, and both have been at historic lows.

People often look at absolute changes, when they really should be looking at percentage changes.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:

Now imagine if Bill didn't create a multi-billion dollar company from stealing Apples idea (Windows)? Apple would have hit 2T by now.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    At this price I would sell half the shares I own, if I have ones lol, and keep the rest for the next ten years.