PC component manufacturer clones new Mac Pro case

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    jdw said:
    The feet of the Mac Pro have to be the ugliest I've ever seen, making this copycat equally as ugly.  The least they could have done was innovated new feet.  But maybe that's an impossible feat.
    yeah, yeah, we get it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 55
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    DuhSesame said:
    jdw said:
    The feet of the Mac Pro have to be the ugliest I've ever seen, making this copycat equally as ugly.  The least they could have done was innovated new feet.  But maybe that's an impossible feat.
    yeah, yeah, we get it.
    Yes, but you still haven't clicked Like on my post.  My post needs a Like.  It's lonely.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    nadriel said:
    AppleZulu said:
    DuhSesame said:
    AppleZulu said:
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    So they copied the entire look of the case without copying its utility.  Exhibit A:

What utility is need that isn't provided for off-the-shelf components?
    The Apple design involved actual engineering. Though the aesthetics of the new Mac Pro are indeed compelling, the case and internals were designed together, putting a lot of computational power inside, and and then enclosing it in a case that's designed specifically for those internals and is rigid and creates the right airflow to keep the computational power from burning itself up.

Suggesting you can take a look-alike case, fill it with off-the shelf components and get as good or better results than the Mac Pro is nonsensical. You can buy a fiberglass Ferrari lookalike car body and put a VW Beetle under it, or Cadillac parts under it or whatever. Your end result is not going to be a Ferrari. You will have a nifty looking VW bug, or a poorly designed, tricked-out overpowered car that throws a rod or flips over when you try to drive it like it's a Ferrari.
    I don't think chassis itself is that complicated, anyone with some proper CNC knowledge could do it, especially for an open standard.
    I'm betting there are quite a few patented design features (including the blowers inside) in the Mac Pro box that yield significant cooling performance that are not legally available to "anyone with proper CNC knowledge" to just copy.

Again, you can make a thing that sort of looks like another thing, but when the other thing was created as a result of scads of engineering in its design, "sort of looks like" isn't going to yield the same result. You could stack some giant cylinders so that they look a lot like a Saturn V rocket and then fill it with kerosene, but lighting it up probably won't get you to the moon.

P.S. If "Dune Case" was as careful in making their Mac Pro case copy as they were in making their Mac Pro webpage copy, it is definitely a crappy "sort of looks like" knockoff. Just go to their site and read the text to find some amateur grammatical errors. 
    It’s a chassis to a expensive computer, not a super car or a rocket. It’s not breakthrough technology nor anything too different from what other case manufacturers do nor what Apple has done before. I don’t understand the reason to get worked up on that some folk don’t find it that impressive. It’s a nice looking case. 
    Worked up? Not really. Nonetheless, my point is that Apple, at its core (so long as we’re doing bad puns here now) doesn’t just send a team off in a corner somewhere to go make a new chassis that other teams in other corners can use to stuff in some off-the-shelf components. Apple’s  stuff is all designed together as a unit.  Even in chassis design, there are  engineering considerations at Apple that do not happen when some knock-off company makes a box for the purpose of accumulating off-the-shelf parts. I guarantee that somebody at Apple measured airflow speed and turbulence through the  prototype “cheese grater” and related it to specs for the hardware going inside (which was designed in concert with MacOS), and then ordered modifications to the “cheese grater” to further optimize airflow performance. Breakthrough technology? Maybe, maybe not. Innovative technology? I’d bet on it.

Here’s another thing I’d bet on. If you put the Mac Pro next to this knockoff chassis (with or without its add-on “Dice Y” knockoff panel) filled with premium off-the-shelf components and measure the noise levels emanating from each, the Mac Pro will be significantly quieter. 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Going to place my order on October 22nd! I heard the rumor thst the case is $2K!
  • Reply 45 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    longfang said:
    DuhSesame said:
    AppleZulu said:
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    So they copied the entire look of the case without copying its utility.  Exhibit A:

What utility is need that isn't provided for off-the-shelf components?
    The Apple design involved actual engineering. Though the aesthetics of the new Mac Pro are indeed compelling, the case and internals were designed together, putting a lot of computational power inside, and and then enclosing it in a case that's designed specifically for those internals and is rigid and creates the right airflow to keep the computational power from burning itself up.

Suggesting you can take a look-alike case, fill it with off-the shelf components and get as good or better results than the Mac Pro is nonsensical. You can buy a fiberglass Ferrari lookalike car body and put a VW Beetle under it, or Cadillac parts under it or whatever. Your end result is not going to be a Ferrari. You will have a nifty looking VW bug, or a poorly designed, tricked-out overpowered car that throws a rod or flips over when you try to drive it like it's a Ferrari.
    I don't think chassis itself is that complicated, anyone with some proper CNC knowledge could do it, especially for an open standard.
    So why didn’t anybody with the appropriate skills do so. Why is it always Apple does something and all of a sudden anyone could have done it.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." —Arthur Schopenhauer

watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 55
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Soli said:
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." —Arthur Schopenhauer

"There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted."  —Arthur Schopenhauer
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 55
    alexander gomezalexander gomez Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Hi All, my name is Alexander Gomez creator of Dune Po. I see this thread has many comments about the Dune Pro. Please let me know if you have any questions about the Dune Pro. 
  • Reply 48 of 55
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Is this really story worthy? Cloners will clone, it’s inevitable and this is a pretty lame one at that! It looks different enough, that even from a distance I would never mistake this for the latest Mac Pro. I don’t think Apple has anything to worry about here.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 49 of 55
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Hi All, my name is Alexander Gomez creator of Dune Po. I see this thread has many comments about the Dune Pro. Please let me know if you have any questions about the Dune Pro. 
    Although the design is not for me, it seems like a quality case. Curiously, what would it be selling for and why copy an Apple product instead of coming up with a unique design?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    Also, is it "Dune Po" or "Dune Pro?" In addition to replicating Apple's design for its Mac Pro case as well as Apple's website for the Mac Pro, would you say you have sought to replicate Apple's careful attention to quality, functionality and design specs for materials and manufacturing tolerances, or is the Dune Po/Pro just a quick shot at grabbing money from people who want the basic look but don't really care about quality, or computing or whatever? Will it be for sale online, or at any particular retail outlets, or strictly from guys with card tables set up on the street corner?
    edited October 2019 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Trashbean SoupTrashbean Soup Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:

Exactly. It's a sort of look-a-like but when you get inside, same old PC.

But on the other hand Apple stole the totally dismantlable idea from PC case makers who innovated the idea of bare bones modular frames and cross bars to hang everything off.

The Dune Pro PC is not cheap and falls somewhat short of what the Mac Pro has, so I say let it pass. More important is that Apple turns a corner and stops manufacturing Macs that totally piss off its Pro base. Intel has dropped their prices dramatically, so that should mean Apple should follow suit and if only we can do basic upgrades, including Graphics cards, and not have to put up with thermal throttling and the fear of cooking our very expensive investments, I might buy into the Kool-Aid again.

In the last 8 years all Apple has done is persuade me to try Linux and Android.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Trashbean Soup said:

But on the other hand Apple stole the totally dismantlable idea from PC case makers who innovated the idea of bare bones modular frames and cross bars to hang everything off.
    Absolute nonsense. The idea of modular components is much, much older than the entire computer industry.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Trashbean Soup said:

Absolute nonsense. The idea of modular components is much, much older than the entire computer industry.
    The real nonsense is that that is what I said.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    FileMakerFeller said:

The Apple Alternate reality:

I particularly love the interjections from Jonny Ives: "Everything's designed to be straight forward".
  • Reply 55 of 55
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    FileMakerFeller said:

The Apple Alternate reality:

I particularly love the interjections from Jonny Ives: "Everything's designed to be straight forward".
    That is a funny irreverent movie.  Gotta love it.