Apple launches in-house studio, 'Band of Brothers' follow-up to be first in-house series

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple has launched its own in-house studio with "Masters of the Air" for Apple TV+ to be its first production that it doesn't contract out to a third-party studio.

Image Credit: HBO
Image Credit: HBO

The studio will be headed by Apple's Worldwide Video Heads Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, both who formerly worked for Sony Pictures.

The series, dubbed "Masters of the Air", will stream exclusively on Apple TV+. It will be executive produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. The series is being written by "Band of Brothers" writer John Orloff and "Justified" writer Graham Yost.

Based on Donald L. Miller's nonfiction title "Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany", the limited-run series will follow the true story of the young men who flew the bombers that helped bring Nazi Germany to its knees.

The series will be the first series green-lit with Apple at the wheel. Sources say HBO released the series well before WarnerMedia became its new corporate parent. The series sold for around $250 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

This also marks the second show Apple has produced with Spielberg, the first being the episodic anthology "Amazing Stories" being available when the service launches on November 1.

Apple has been steadily growing its Apple TV+ catalog. The service will boast with shows and movies for everyone from children to adults, including comedies, dramas, thrillers, documentaries and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Band of Brothers was fantastic.  I'm looking forward to this new series.
    radarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Definitely a good book to base a series on. The development of the air war strategy in WWII was a rocky road that was filled with technical hurdles as well as political battles in the Pentagon (not so surprising). The U.S. bombing groups paid a high price for that early in the war.
    Andy.Hardwakeracerhomie3radarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Awesome! Great news!

Band of Brothers is one of the best miniseries ever!

Apple TV+ is indeed looking to be a major player!

I'll be looking forward to this one!
    radarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Would someone make a damn WW2 American submarines in the pacific series please. 
    radarthekatSpamSandwichsteveau
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Or a PT boat one. Preferably a comedy.

also: 12 O’Clock High!
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 6 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    entropys said:

This is the Band of Brothers franchise, definitely not a comedy.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 14
    2 brothers, fighting cats and then asteroids come...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9k5SWwE38

sorry i just had to
  • Reply 8 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    Awesome! Great news!

Band of Brothers is one of the best miniseries ever!

Apple TV+ is indeed looking to be a major player!

I'll be looking forward to this one!
    It was indeed a powerful series. Apple is finally making some interesting moves now.
    apple ][firelock
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Going back to my childhood days with Frank Savage and Joseph Gallagher of 12 O‘Clock High TV series of the 1960s. Hopefully, this Master Of The Air will be much better since they used war footage for the shoot downs and air formations. They did mot even have their own B17, it was rented. Acting was good in 12 O’Clock High. Before the TV show Gregory Peck made a movie in color in the 1950s that it was based on.
    edited October 2019 steveau
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I absolutely loved Band of Brothers. I can’t wait to see Masters of the Air.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    entropys said:

McHale’s Navy?
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 12 of 14
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    apple ][ said:
    entropys said:

This is the Band of Brothers franchise, definitely not a comedy.
    Chill giys! Entropy's is just referencing "McHale's Navy" (US ABC-TV, 1962–1966) and "12 O'Clock High" (US ABC-TV, 1964-1967). "Masters of the Air" is the same setting as "12 O'Clock High", but a remake of "McHale's Navy" is, IMHO, very unlikely in these paranoid, "thank you for your service" times, but if it was it's even more unlikely that they would be be executive produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    kelemor said:
    Would someone make a damn WW2 American submarines in the pacific series please. 
    Ahh, memories of watching "Run Silent, Run Deep" (1958, but I saw it as a TV re-run decades later), starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster.