'iPhone SE 2' with A13 will cost $399 says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
Ming-Chi Kuo is telling investors that Apple's rumored "iPhone SE 2" will arrive in the first calendar quarter of 2020, at a bargain price.

The original iPhone SE
The original iPhone SE

In a note seen by AppleInsider, Ming-Chi Kuo of TF Securities is predicting specifically what the "iPhone SE 2" will include. Specifically, he believes that the phone will have the A13 processor which he has spoken about before. Additionally, he is expecting it to come in 64GB and 128GB capacities, with 3GB of application RAM.

He is predicting three finishes, with the device expected to ship in Space Gray, Silver, and Red. Furthermore, 3D Touch is gone, replaced with Haptic Touch.

Kuo believes the device will be a "key growth driver" for Apple in 2020. However, he also ways that suppliers will be producing between 2 million and 4 million devices per month, with 30 million devices sold in the entirety of 2020.

Expected buyers are said to lean towards the device to tiptoe into the iOS ecosystem, have a limited budget, or have a low demand for high-end features that are found the iPhone 11 family of devices.

The possible "iPhone SE 2" is said to be the size of the iPhone 8. The first discussions of that being the case were in September, just prior to the iPhone 11 release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If it's an SE2, a successor to the iPhone SE, then it will obviously be reasonably priced, but surely, that $399.99 figure is just him guessing, though I'm sure it wont be too far away from that figure.

I would have personally liked to see them continue with the small form factor of the SE, but that's just my personal preference because I carry my phone in my front pocket and either way, even if it does get released in an iPhone 8 body, then the iPhone SE2 will be a nice seller for Apple, and they will sell plenty of them.

I would love to see an even smaller version of the SE, a mini iPhone with a 3.5" display, and Apple can call it the iPhone SEX. Imagine such a tiny phone with an A13 chip, it would be a tiny beast of a phone. That's not going to happen, but a man is allowed to wish.
    muthuk_vanalingamleftoverbaconpscooter63just cruisinchuck1252baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 67
    While it is very unlikely, I’d love to see an iPhone 11 Pro Mini.  iPhone 8 chassis size In stainless steel with “all-screen” design, OLED (to reduce thickness), FaceID, dual rear camera (or triple if it can be wedged into the chassis), A13 with 4GB RAM.  Price it at $849US to not compete with the regular 11.  It seems a lot of folks want a smaller phone and are willing to not for it.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’m very doubtful.
    SpamSandwichtmay
  • Reply 4 of 67
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    $399 sounds too good to be true with A13 processor.
    Dontmentionthewar
  • Reply 5 of 67
    apple ][ said:
    I would have personally liked to see them continue with the small form factor of the SE, but that's just my personal preference because I carry my phone in my front pocket and either way, even if it does get released in an iPhone 8 body, then the iPhone SE2 will be a nice seller for Apple, and they will sell plenty of them.

I would love to see an even smaller version of the SE, a mini iPhone with a 3.5" display, and Apple can call it the iPhone SEX. Imagine such a tiny phone with an A13 chip, it would be a tiny beast of a phone. That's not going to happen, but a man is allowed to wish.
    If they have a small form-factor phone, it would probably be best paired with AR glasses. However, iPhone 8 is still too large for that role.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 6 of 67
    I don't care too much about it being cheap (within reason) I just want a small form factor.
    schlackdesignrberndogmaccrazycy_starkmanleftoverbaconpscooter63doozydozenbaconstangnetrox
  • Reply 7 of 67
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    It isn’t an SE if it is iPhone 8 sized. That would b an iPhone 8c.
    schlackGeorgeBMacleftoverbaconbaconstangargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Most of the SE users I know would love the same chasis size, with an all display front. That would effectively bring the display size close to series 8, without the unnecessary bulk added by the bezels.
    schlackdesignrmaccrazyGeorgeBMacleftoverbacondoozydozenbaconstangAppleExposedzhirojust cruisin
  • Reply 9 of 67
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Size of an iPhone 8 sounds like a fail to me. 
    cy_starkmanleftoverbaconbaconstangAppleExposedargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 67
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I don't care too much about it being cheap (within reason) I just want a small form factor.
    Exactly. Why is Apple missing us. I’d pay $800 for a killer small phone. 
    berndogmaccrazyleftoverbaconbaconstangnetroxjust cruisin
  • Reply 11 of 67
    schlack said:
    Exactly. Why is Apple missing us. I’d pay $800 for a killer small phone. 
    You and maybe a few million others. Or five or ten million, whatever. If there were 30 million of you willing to pay $899 for an XS-type OLED model (or $599 for an XR-type LCD model) Apple would make an SE-sized iPhone.

Unfortunately for those who want a small form factor iPhone, in order to sell 30 million, it’s got to be priced at $349-399. Even Android phones, with 4-5 times the market share, can’t find enough buyers to make a small phone a viable product. At any price point, including $100-150, few want small phones. 
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 67
    entropys said:
    I get your point but with an A13 maybe 11C?

I think more likely it won’t use any numerals, since I’m sure Apple’s planning on selling it for three or four years untouched like they did with the SE. (That’s why they’re using the A13.)

Maybe SR? 
  • Reply 13 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Most parents will be happy to buy one for their kid. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 67
    entropys said:
    with this argument, the SE would have been a iPhone 5c. Or 5d, after there was a 5c. 

There was one SE so far, so not to much to really figure out a rule what an SE is other than old case with new internals. Also, the new low cost phone doesn't need to be called SE again.
    edited October 2019 doozydozenAppleExposed
  • Reply 15 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Most of the SE users I know would love the same chasis size, with an all display front. That would effectively bring the display size close to series 8, without the unnecessary bulk added by the bezels.
       That makes sense...
    What doesn't make sense to me is putting Apple's most modern processor in an obsolete design like the 8.

Does the Face Id & beveless screen cost more than an A13 processor?
    Functionally, the only thing an A13 will do is future-proof the phone -- while extending the current SE to a full sized screen would provide multiple advantages to the user.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Well at least this will get rid of one more silly "Apple doesn't care about..." meme. Yeah, Apple does budget too. 

doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 67
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Wow, he’s even predicting the colors? This guy’s good!
    Will someone please remind us of all this at the end of Q1 2020?

Actually if this does come true I may buy one. I want to upgrade from my 7, but don’t want to spend a lot.
    GeorgeBMacGrayeagledoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 67
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    There's always something that is great and will be available in six months. At some point you just have to jump. I'm getting an 11
    GeorgeBMacdoozydozenAppleExposed
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gatorguy said:
    Well at least this will get rid of one more silly "Apple doesn't care about..." meme. Yeah, Apple does budget too. 

They do budget now. The iPhone XR and iPhone 8 pricing changes after the event were proof enough of that.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 67
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    What’s the point of it being the same as iPhone 8? Just buy an iPhone 8!!!

The point of the SE is its size, not its price... I’d like to see a new SE with home button gone and top and bottom bezels - just large enough to incorporate the TrueDepth system for FaceID. Slimming dow the bezels would allow them to increase the display size while keeping the overall size slightly larger than the current SE.
    baconstangjust cruisin