Apple hits all-time share price high and highest market capitalization

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50

apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:
    Well, $1.07 trillion is not “far higher” than a trillion. In fact, I believe it’s less than it was last year because of the stock buybacks, resulting in a lot fewer shares, more than making up for the $3.50 extra stock price. It doesn’t really matter, but this is a discussion of that, so I thought I’d mention it. For most people the share price matters much more than the total valuation.

but let’s be careful here. Stock prices are very much in thrall to the trade war ebbing and waning. Next week, the market could be down by several percent, or up by several percent. It’s very unpredictable these days.
    Right, always point out the downside, the negative, the dark cloud. Heaven forbid anyone should be happy and thrilled. Keep your head down and stay depressed, disappointed, unimpressed, finding no joy in anything. Point out the flaws, not the strengths. Keep your feet firmly planted in grey clay. How in hell does mankind ever achieve anything. There’s this stinker of movie out there called Melancholia about screwed up people waiting for the end of the world. Sergei Rachmaninoff went into a deep depression after the failure of his Symphony No.1. After his psychiatrist brought him out of it the result was his famous Piano Concerto No. 2, one of the most beloved pieces of music ever written. He dedicated it to his psychiatrist, Dr. Dahl. 

Oh, and keep bitching about anything Apple says or does. It’s the only way to live. And the Dutch East India Company FTW! Apple is an insignificant, irrelevant small time operation.

Man, this place is amazing in its ability to stay in the doldrums.
    I think Mel has 100,000 AAPL shares, if memory serves.  He’s hardly a Debbie Downer.  
    $23,000,000 in Apple shares? Not bad at all, if the amount is correct.
    I don’t ever recall Mel spilling the beans on how many shares he has, but I do remember him mentioning he sold some a number of years ago. I have nowhere near Mel’s alleged holdings, but I’ve never sold and I’ve been effectively retired for a couple of years thanks to Apple’s stock value increase (my retirement goal was hit and I continue to work just to keep busy). ;)
    I’ve paid close attention to such details over my years here.  I’m still holding 7000 shares, have been for years, and made my post-career fortune (which is a few times larger than my software startup career fortune) trading AAPL options, including a few years running a FB group of like-minded traders I cultivated from a few sources.  But the high volatility days of Apple options are mostly past, and I’ve spread out my gains into a very nice dividend-paying portfolio that’ll pretty much guarantee I’ll never have to touch any of the principal, unless I decide I need my own jet.   
    I think the high-volatility traders have moved on to cryptocoin trading and speculation. I know of at least one person who has become fabulously wealthy speculating on various cryptos... not ‘Mel Gross wealthy’, but still... ;)
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 42 of 50
    What? I thought they were doomed. Doooooooooooooooomed
    Restarting the countdown for the next "Apple is doomed" article.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:
    Well, $1.07 trillion is not “far higher” than a trillion. In fact, I believe it’s less than it was last year because of the stock buybacks, resulting in a lot fewer shares, more than making up for the $3.50 extra stock price. It doesn’t really matter, but this is a discussion of that, so I thought I’d mention it. For most people the share price matters much more than the total valuation.

but let’s be careful here. Stock prices are very much in thrall to the trade war ebbing and waning. Next week, the market could be down by several percent, or up by several percent. It’s very unpredictable these days.
    Right, always point out the downside, the negative, the dark cloud. Heaven forbid anyone should be happy and thrilled. Keep your head down and stay depressed, disappointed, unimpressed, finding no joy in anything. Point out the flaws, not the strengths. Keep your feet firmly planted in grey clay. How in hell does mankind ever achieve anything. There’s this stinker of movie out there called Melancholia about screwed up people waiting for the end of the world. Sergei Rachmaninoff went into a deep depression after the failure of his Symphony No.1. After his psychiatrist brought him out of it the result was his famous Piano Concerto No. 2, one of the most beloved pieces of music ever written. He dedicated it to his psychiatrist, Dr. Dahl. 

Oh, and keep bitching about anything Apple says or does. It’s the only way to live. And the Dutch East India Company FTW! Apple is an insignificant, irrelevant small time operation.

I think Mel has 100,000 AAPL shares, if memory serves.  He’s hardly a Debbie Downer.  
    I don’t ever recall Mel spilling the beans on how many shares he has, but I do remember him mentioning he sold some a number of years ago. I have nowhere near Mel’s alleged holdings, but I’ve never sold and I’ve been effectively retired for a couple of years thanks to Apple’s stock value increase (my retirement goal was hit and I continue to work just to keep busy). ;)
    Well, actually, in 2004 I did say how many shares I bought. A bunch of us were comparing investments. From there, buying a few more a couple of times plus the overall 14vto 1 split, I saw no reason to hide the numbers. So yes, it’s 100,000. And yes, that’s been a very good investment for me. My original purchase was 6,000 shares in mid 2004, at $16.93 a share. That wasn’t a huge investment considering where it is today. I bought more during the Bush recession, and a few more afterwards. I ended up with 114,000 shares approximately, but sold everything over 100,000.

what was a fairly small part of my investments back in 2004 has become the majority of them today, and the others have done pretty well, such as Facebook, and, for a while, Amazon, Nvidia, etc.

so I can’t complain. But I like to make the point that I’m in Apple for the long haul. I also think it’s a joke when I point out Apple’s errors, and get slammed for it as being negative.
    anantksundaramSpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

Well, actually, in 2004 I did say how many shares I bought. A bunch of us were comparing investments. From there, buying a few more a couple of times plus the overall 14vto 1 split, I saw no reason to hide the numbers. So yes, it’s 100,000. And yes, that’s been a very good investment for me. My original purchase was 6,000 shares in mid 2004, at $16.93 a share. That wasn’t a huge investment considering where it is today. I bought more during the Bush recession, and a few more afterwards. I ended up with 114,000 shares approximately, but sold everything over 100,000.

what was a fairly small part of my investments back in 2004 has become the majority of them today, and the others have done pretty well, such as Facebook, and, for a while, Amazon, Nvidia, etc.

so I can’t complain. But I like to make the point that I’m in Apple for the long haul. I also think it’s a joke when I point out Apple’s errors, and get slammed for it as being negative.
    Except what is considered an “error” is largely subjective. Most of the criticisms to this end are merely opinions on what one would like or think Apple should do. 
    edited October 2019 Soli
  • Reply 45 of 50
    melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

Well, then three cheers for your holdings and good luck to us all!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

Except what is considered an “error” is largely subjective. Most of the criticisms to this end are merely opinions on what one would like or think Apple should do. 
    You can join DED in the never have anything negative to say about Apple club, unless you can diss their competitors even more. But I like to remain in the realism club which recognizes that Apple does indeed make errors from time to time
    SpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 50

melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

Well, then three cheers for your holdings and good luck to us all!
    Absolutely. I’m looking forwards to Apple hitting $300.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 48 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

You can join DED in the never have anything negative to say about Apple club, unless you can diss their competitors even more. But I like to remain in the realism club which recognizes that Apple does indeed make errors from time to time
    He didn't say you can't be negative, he said that it's subjective. It's one thing to make an argument for a company making a change that would better their bottom line and another when you claim that they making mistakes.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

He didn't say you can't be negative, he said that it's subjective. It's one thing to make an argument for a company making a change that would better their bottom line and another when you claim that they making mistakes.
    When he admits that while SOME things are subjective, according to what someone may want, and if they don’t get, they think Apple made an error, as opposed to the actual product and business errors that Apple has made, then i’ll give him props.

but going back to the error of the Apple lll, the Lisa, closing the early Macs, releasing 68040 machines in the holiday 1995 season which nearly ended the company, the Cube, Mobile Me, the Pippin, the round mouse for the early iMac, the original release of Maps, for which Cook apologized, and a number of other mistakes I’m not even going to mention, it’s clear that Apple indeed has made errors. It’s not a matter of subjectivity.

Yes, Apple has been very resilient, and even turned some errors into later success with other products. That’s what makes Apple an example for the ages. But they’re not perfect.
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    melgross said:

When he admits that while SOME things are subjective, according to what someone may want, and if they don’t get, they think Apple made an error, as opposed to the actual product and business errors that Apple has made, then i’ll give him props.

but going back to the error of the Apple lll, the Lisa, closing the early Macs, releasing 68040 machines in the holiday 1995 season which nearly ended the company, the Cube, Mobile Me, the Pippin, the round mouse for the early iMac, the original release of Maps, for which Cook apologized, and a number of other mistakes I’m not even going to mention, it’s clear that Apple indeed has made errors. It’s not a matter of subjectivity.

Yes, Apple has been very resilient, and even turned some errors into later success with other products. That’s what makes Apple an example for the ages. But they’re not perfect.
    I don’t know anyone that claims Apple doesn’t and hasn’t made mistakes. But you say you get blasted when you point out their errors. All your examples are old and some obvious, I don’t recall us blasting you for them. But I am aware of disagreements on what are subjective opinions on today’s Apple. Not everything people dislike or disagree with are errors.