'iPhone SE 2' with A13 will cost $399 says Ming-Chi Kuo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    gatorguy said:
    Well at least this will get rid of one more silly "Apple doesn't care about..." meme. Yeah, Apple does budget too. 

They do budget now. The iPhone XR and iPhone 8 pricing changes after the event were proof enough of that.
    Those are old models with older processors and older hardware, being recycled for another year. And then another year,  old inventory mixed with some new production. This is a rare instance of a NEW budget model, and using the same general release schedule as someone like Google's Pixel line: Flagships in the fall followed by more a more budget-minded model with some of the flagship's features in the Spring. Smart!
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 22 of 67
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I rather see some different form factor such as new rumored essential phone.

The rumored essential phone is too narrow. but from current XR screen, reduce size of 1 icon row that might be little smaller then SE size or little bigger then current face id area..
    The length wise tall as 11 Pro,
    Include face id and single or 2 camera like 11 in the back.

I want to remove all my games to iPad mini or Air and iPhone is just for credit card payment and text, phone call.
    Apple can put in A12 instead A13 for cut cost to add face id.

• Reply 23 of 67
    entropys said:
    It isn’t an SE if it is iPhone 8 sized. That would b an iPhone 8c.
    Wrong.

The SE is about its price point. It has absolutely nothing to do with size. This is a delusion harbored by SE fanatics.
    canukstormpscooter63Chidoro
  • Reply 24 of 67
    If the camera is upgraded and assuming it has an A13, this also is a good fit for those who want something slightly smaller than an 11 or 11Pro - the 8 is smaller and lighter than both.  We are struggling with the decision on buying an 11Pro because, even though just fractions, the size and weight relative to the X are unwelcome.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    That would be a great device, but the issue is still service cost.  As long as it's $50/mo or so (Including tax and 'fees'),
    that's a non-starter for me.  And should be for anyone else who knows what consumers pay in other parts of the world.
    The lack of consumer pushback is a constant gift to rapacious communications companies.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    They will put their top end chip from their flagship phone into a budget phone?  Have to doubt that.  Maybe an A11 instead?
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Had two SEs - - one for home, the other for business/fund raising. Not surprising, the SE used for business garners ten times the number of robocalls and sales pitches as did my SE home phone. 

The home SE "went South," so I ended up with an 8 replacement.
    The 8 will still fit in my trousers pocket, and do the things my SE used to do; however, I do miss the earphone socket

Just hope the new SE2 retains the Home button, and we'll not be saddled with that crazy face recognition stuff. 

Just to repeat what I've said earlier:  I need an iPHONE, and not an iCamera. The Swiss Knife smartphone still can't replace my 27" iMac and 10.5 iPad Pro. 
    leftoverbaconbaconstang
  • Reply 28 of 67
    He’s just making a wild guess here.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 67
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    apple ][ said:
    I would have personally liked to see them continue with the small form factor of the SE, but that's just my personal preference because I carry my phone in my front pocket and either way, even if it does get released in an iPhone 8 body, then the iPhone SE2 will be a nice seller for Apple, and they will sell plenty of them.

I would love to see an even smaller version of the SE, a mini iPhone with a 3.5" display, and Apple can call it the iPhone SEX. Imagine such a tiny phone with an A13 chip, it would be a tiny beast of a phone. That's not going to happen, but a man is allowed to wish.
    If they have a small form-factor phone, it would probably be best paired with AR glasses. However, iPhone 8 is still too large for that role.
    Unlikely relevant. I would expect any Apple AR glasses to be wireless. 
  • Reply 30 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    Wrong.

The SE is about its price point. It has absolutely nothing to do with size. This is a delusion harbored by SE fanatics.
    Strong opinion based on a single data point.  I think more than a few people bought the SE because of its size, no matter what Apple's intention for it was.  And that's what matters.

Besides, Joswiak introduced  it with a lot of emphasis on the size, so I'm pretty sure you're flat out wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UblzmyXc_Y
    edited October 2019 leftoverbaconbaconstangzhirojust cruisin
  • Reply 31 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    M68000 said:
    They will put their top end chip from their flagship phone into a budget phone?  Have to doubt that.  Maybe an A11 instead?
    The original SE had the same chip (A9) as the 6S, which was the flagship at the time.
    designrleftoverbaconpscooter63baconstangjust cruisin
  • Reply 32 of 67
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Inexpensive, small form factor, feature rich. Pick one.

This will be the missing iPhone 9. 8 size and shape, some updated internals, not much else, no plastic case. No FID (a plus to some users) no Taptic engine, no contemporary display, basic camera(s). The phone will be more than before but less than now.

An A13 processor would be wasted in the iPhone 9. It could happen though as Apple's next flagship line up would be getting an A14 or better processor in a few months.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 33 of 67
    entropys said:
    “It isn’t an SE if it is iPhone 5 sized. That would b an iPhone 5c.” You’re logic is broken. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 34 of 67
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    $400 would be the sweet spot for a smaller form factor.

Whether it looks like an all screen 5 or 6 isn't as relevant to me as the small size.

gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Well at least this will get rid of one more silly "Apple doesn't care about..." meme. Yeah, Apple does budget too. 

They do budget now. The iPhone XR and iPhone 8 pricing changes after the event were proof enough of that.
    Those are old models with older processors and older hardware, being recycled for another year. And then another year,  old inventory mixed with some new production. This is a rare instance of a NEW budget model, and using the same general release schedule as someone like Google's Pixel line: Flagships in the fall followed by more a more budget-minded model with some of the flagship's features in the Spring. Smart!

Nothing smart about copying Apple.

entropys said:
    Wrong.

But that's the target audience and reason to buy the iPhone.

If Apple releases an iPhone 8-sized SE, it would be dumb to have another XR. That would be 3 iPhones with roughly the same size screen.

entropys said:
    “It isn’t an SE if it is iPhone 5 sized. That would b an iPhone 5c.” You’re logic is broken. 

This crap was being flung around when the SE rumors were arising. People claimed it would be called iPhone 5se.

Apple is not going to use an old number on a new iPhone.
    baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 67
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    entropys said:
    Wrong.

The SE is about its price point. It has absolutely nothing to do with size. This is a delusion harboured by SE fanatics.
    Wait, what? So all the people who say they bought it for the size are lying? Why would they do that? Sure some bought it for the price. But saying the reason people bought it "has absolutely nothing to do with size" is more that a bit of hyperbole. Calling it a delusion is just insulting. I know the price was a nice bonus when I got mine, but I keep my phone in the front pocket of my jeans. The SE fits well. I can use it one handed. When I bought it, price was actually well down the list of reasons.
    GeorgeBMaczhirojust cruisindesignr
  • Reply 36 of 67
    My guess is that it will not feature a glass back and hence no wireless charging. At $399 it will be more like an iPhone 7, but with 3GB RAM, 64 GB storage, TouchID, and XR camera (at best). The A13 will make it an attractive purchase, and will not compete with the flagship models out a few months later featuring the A14 and 5G. The $999 5.4 inch iPhone Pro will only be slightly larger, physically, than was the SE, and will meet the requirements of those wanting a smaller form factor. Apple will disassociate price and size.

The fall 2020 line-up likely will be:
    $399 iPhone SE2 (or whatever they call it)
    $499 iPhone XR 
    $599 iPhone 11
    $699 iPhone 12
    $999 iPhone 12 Pro (5.4 inch)
    $1099 iPhone 12 Pro (6.7 inch)
  • Reply 37 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    My guess is that it will not feature a glass back and hence no wireless charging. At $399 it will be more like an iPhone 7, but with 3GB RAM, 64 GB storage, TouchID, and XR camera (at best). The A13 will make it an attractive purchase, and will not compete with the flagship models out a few months later featuring the A14 and 5G. The $999 5.4 inch iPhone Pro will only be slightly larger, physically, than was the SE, and will meet the requirements of those wanting a smaller form factor. Apple will disassociate price and size.

The fall 2020 line-up likely will be:
    $399 iPhone SE2 (or whatever they call it)
    $499 iPhone XR 
    $599 iPhone 11
    $699 iPhone 12
    $999 iPhone 12 Pro (5.4 inch)
    $1099 iPhone 12 Pro (6.7 inch)
    What they need is a modern phone the size of the 11 Pro or smaller (SE sized would be nice) -- but with a bevel-less screen.
    NOBODY wants a small screen, but lots of people want a "small phone".
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Would miss the smaller size but would gladly buy perhaps the last iPhone with TouchID in the home button. 
  • Reply 39 of 67
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    They will probably call it an iPhone 8S. The numeral 8 and red colour seem like low effort ways to appeal to the Chinese market.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    zhiro said:
    Would miss the smaller size but would gladly buy perhaps the last iPhone with TouchID in the home button. 
    Yeah, I hear you.  But maybe the rumors are true that Apple is working on under screen Touch ID and there were reports of patent stuff going on.  We can only hope within a couple years it's ready.