Apple brings its updated Apple Maps into the midwest in new rolling update

Posted:
in General Discussion
Enhanced Apple Maps have begun expanding out of Northeast and into the Midwest, bringing more details to Ohio, West Virginia, and parts of Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana.

Image Credit: Reddit User 999999797

Apple has been expanding their revamped and enhanced Apple Maps in the northeast United States. Apple had recently updated its New York City maps, which included more transit information, better landmark detail, and Look Around.

On Sunday, Reddit user "999999797 "had posted they'd received the update on their MacBook, though the iPhone and iPad still showed older maps.

The updated maps cover Ohio, West Virginia, the lower peninsula of Michigan, and most of Illinois and Indiana. Updated areas will feature increased landscape detail, showing users the difference between parks and parking lots or parkways and pedestrian pathways, among others, according to MacRumors.

The updated maps detail is part of a relaunched Apple Maps which was released for iOS 13 and iPadOS 13. Apple continues to develop Apple Maps, with recent patents suggesting the company is investigating the use of virtual or augmented reality to aid navigation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Does Apple Maps on iOS allow the setting of waypoints, like Google Maps does?  I can't find it if it does.  
    razorpitcaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 15
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Is a map available showing the areas currently covered by the updated map version? I did appreciate having lane assist on my most recent trip. I'm not sure when that became available. 
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Does Apple Maps on iOS allow the setting of waypoints, like Google Maps does?  I can't find it if it does.  
    Not that I can figure out, would love to have feature.
    razorpitbeowulfschmidtcaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Still waiting for:

Support for bicycles where it won’t auto switch to car when riding over 10mph. 

Set multiple stops. 

Closest next gas station without having you to drive back.
    caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 15
    You can touch and hold to "drop a pin" to navigate to. Is that what you mean?
    acheron2018
  • Reply 6 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Appleish said:
    He means setting up multiple destinations within a trip. Luckily there's a wonderfully rich App Store that allows the installation of any number of mapping apps to get the features one needs.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I love Apple Maps. I tend to use it as my primary, having Google be my secondary if needed.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Soli said:
    Appleish said:
    He means setting up multiple destinations within a trip. Luckily there's a wonderfully rich App Store that allows the installation of any number of mapping apps to get the features one needs.
    True that.  Such as Google Maps, which has had that feature for at least 5 years that I know of.  Probably longer, but that's when I first used it.

Dropping a pin doesn't appear to adjust the route between two other points, but I'd be glad to be proven wrong,
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Does this cover areas outside metros? Or is it metro areas only?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I was happily surprised at the upgraded Apple Maps when we recently visited Southern California, an area I am familiar with, but have been away long enough to need map guidance (plus the value in dynamic traffic routing on the freeways). There is much greater clarity in the verbal notifications, which is important to me as a driver, since I can’t keep looking at the phone’s display. 

The street view feature doesn’t excite me one way or the other, but it does appear to be more fluid than the last Google version I saw. I’m in it for the turn-by-turn, and the new version released in California is markedly better than what I use at home,
  • Reply 11 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    This seems to rolling out much faster than Apple’s usual approach to updating Maps features. With any luck these features will cover my country by 2025!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    entropys said:
    This seems to rolling out much faster than Apple’s usual approach to updating Maps features. With any luck these features will cover my country by 2025!
    My country in 2030 maybe. ^^ ...but then: our own government objected against 3D-mapping the capital because of «security concerns». Welcome to Scandinavia.  :D
  • Reply 13 of 15
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Ah. Thought I could paste in a photo... saw a white Subaru Apple Maps car in Northern Illinois, western suburbs of Chicago, CA plates. On Highway 53/290 north. Anyway, it was pretty cool to incorporate these photos within Apple Maps soon. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    h2p said:
    Ah. Thought I could paste in a photo... saw a white Subaru Apple Maps car in Northern Illinois, western suburbs of Chicago, CA plates. On Highway 53/290 north. Anyway, it was pretty cool to incorporate these photos within Apple Maps soon. 
    You can. Click on the paper icon (sheet with a bent upper right corner) icon above the text input window.

I use Apple Maps exclusively now. My little Garmin sits at home, gathering dust. My phone on a dash mount with Maps is my go to app.

Google Maps is on my phone and always updated, in the event that I need offline guidance. There are additional apps at the App Store, but some require a subscription and that's a deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Hope someone from Apple is looking/lurking:

Please make sure to cover Point Roberts, Wa when you update the NW. It is an exclave near Vancouver, B.C. and Google overlooked it for street view.