Apple TV+ interface is more important to streaming video users than content

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
A consumer research report claims that users of video services like Netflix are more likely to recommend it to others because of the user interface and overall ease of content discovery, more than what programming is available.

Tim Cook promotes Dickinson, one of the shows Apple TV+ is launching with in November
Tim Cook promotes Dickinson, one of the shows Apple TV+ is launching with in November

Research firm Parks Associates claims that the content of a streaming video service is less important than the user interface design and how easy it is to find something to watch. The report comes ahead of the launch of Apple TV+, which has the advantage of Apple's design and the disadvantage of a much smaller library of material than its rivals.

Parks Associates researcher Brandon Riney also told AppleInsider that despite its lack of content compared to Netflix and the forthcoming Disney+, Apple brings a distinct advantage to the market.

"Apple's unexpected $4.99 pricing appears to be a response to Disney+'s $6.99 per month," he said. "This, in combination with announcing a fuller slate of originals, addresses criticism from detractors that Apple TV+ did not have adequate content and value to compete."

"Offering a complimentary year of service to buyers of an Apple product as a loss leader is a strategy consistent with Apple's background as a device maker," he continued. "This move provides a value-added feature for all of its hardware that other services cannot easily replicate."

However, according to the report, 70% of US households who have a video subscription already rate their user interfaces as "good," and 48% as "very good."

"Roku and Apple TV lead the streaming media player space in terms of ease-of-use," says Parks Associates' senior analyst Kristen Hanich, "while Fire TV is the undisputed leader in terms of voice control."

Users in the report's survey who said they had both a streaming video player and a smart TV, were asked which they preferred in regard to ease of use.

Of the households with an existing Apple TV, 38% said they preferred it to their smart TV, compared to 20% who expressed a preference for the other way around.

In comparison, 27% of Google Chromecast users preferred it to their TV, while 38% ranked their smart TV higher.

"Apple TV owners give relatively strong marks to the device's UI," says the report. "Chromecast owners rate [their] device relatively low in terms of ease of use and ease of finding something to watch. Tellingly, ease of use is relatively less important to those who purchased a Chromecast."

Despite an overall preference for ease of use and searching, the report also says that users are now more focused on shows rather than having channel loyalty.

"Consumers are interested in finding particular shows or genres of content and have less interest in browsing by channel," said Hanich.

Apple TV+ launches on November 1, and is followed on November 12 by Disney+.
15ngcs1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Sooo, style trumps substance?
    Asking for survivors of a presidential election. 
  • Reply 2 of 14
    And what makes people like the user interface? If it actually accomplishes something for them. In other words, helps them find things to watch.

UI vs. content are not separate things, they are the same thing. None of these platforms allow you to actually see what content is available (which is an outrage all by itself and should be considered unlawful). They all hide their pitifully small libraries of content behind various forms of discoverability and curation. The more abstract they are, the more users despise them.

Apple's TV app is now among the worst. Despite its alleged original purpose of collating all of your connected libraries into one, it has become one giant advertising platform for content Apple wants you to watch, even if you don't have access to it.
    entropys
  • Reply 3 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    And what makes people like the user interface? If it actually accomplishes something for them. In other words, helps them find things to watch.

UI vs. content are not separate things, they are the same thing. None of these platforms allow you to actually see what content is available (which is an outrage all by itself and should be considered unlawful). They all hide their pitifully small libraries of content behind various forms of discoverability and curation. The more abstract they are, the more users despise them.

Apple's TV app is now among the worst. Despite its alleged original purpose of collating all of your connected libraries into one, it has become one giant advertising platform for content Apple wants you to watch, even if you don't have access to it.

Haven't tried tvOS 13 but I hate the fact paid content is mixed with my bought content. I imagine this confusing non-tech people thinking they can watch something that pops up in their subscriptions. This needs to GO!!!
    flyingdpMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 4 of 14
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I've always felt like Netflix had a terrible UI
    15ngcs1flyingdpFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 14
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    15ngcs1
  • Reply 6 of 14
    In some cases, and for some people, it doesn't matter if the content is good if they can't find it, or if navigating the UI is an exercise in frustration.
    entropys
  • Reply 7 of 14
    NY1822 said:
    If Netflix is bad then how bad is Amazon Prime. It hurts my eyes!
    lolliver15ngcs1
  • Reply 8 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Thing is, I don’t want to feel irritated trying to trek/find my way through whatever Netflix/prime/Apple want to promote to eventually get to what I want. But arsewipe corporate types think they can improve monetisation this way, and sadly it must work on enough plebs for these pricks to keep their jobs. 
    I just hate having to scroll down through the forest to get to where I want.

On that matter, the Apple home page is just like this too. Scroll, scroll, scroll through product promotion after product promotion to finally get to the directory at the bottom so you can get to where you want to go. So not the famous Apple GUI of the past.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 14
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Is AppleTV+ only $5 as mentioned in the article above? Then it's a no brainer to me.
    lolliver15ngcs1
  • Reply 10 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Meh, so what.  Both are important.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    wattouk said:
    NY1822 said:
    If Netflix is bad then how bad is Amazon Prime. It hurts my eyes!
    For TV shows, I actually prefer Amazon. It's easier to select a particular season and episode of a show. Netflix is prettier, for sure, but I'd rather have function than form if I have to choose. Maybe Apple won't make me. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    NY1822 said:
    Weird, I was just going to say I think Netflix has an excellent interface.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    kevin kee said:
    Is AppleTV+ only $5 as mentioned in the article above? Then it's a no brainer to me.
    ... and supposedly free for a year after purchasing new Apple hardware as I just did.  I assume Apple will just switch it on for my Apple ID automatically ... /waiting in hope.
    edited October 2019 15ngcs1
  • Reply 14 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    entropys said:
    Thing is, I don’t want to feel irritated trying to trek/find my way through whatever Netflix/prime/Apple want to promote to eventually get to what I want. But arsewipe corporate types think they can improve monetisation this way, and sadly it must work on enough plebs for these pricks to keep their jobs. 
    I just hate having to scroll down through the forest to get to where I want.

On that matter, the Apple home page is just like this too. Scroll, scroll, scroll through product promotion after product promotion to finally get to the directory at the bottom so you can get to where you want to go. So not the famous Apple GUI of the past.
    So Apple's homepage should be a "directory", instead of promoting the products they want to sell in an attractive fashion?

Something tells me that literally everyone involved in Apple's web presence knows a shitload more than you about what makes a great UI, and what is engaging for most users. They also have infinitely more data than you. I very much doubt that the vast majority of people open Apple's website in order to scroll to the footer. 
    edited October 2019