Crime blotter: Accused robber shot and killed at Dallas Apple Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    A catapult?  Seriously?  I need to go see if I can find that story.
    I suspect there is a language/cultural/translation issue where "catapult" might actually mean something like a crossbow to people in Europe or North America.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    What’s an “assault rifle”?
    The federal government has defined that. Look it up. 

The Apple Store was under construction according to the article. It may have been undergoing renovation or maybe not have ever been open for business. There's no indication in the article, so speculation is just that.

It was 0230hrs so robbery was unlikely. Burglary more likely but possibly not the motivation as a rifle, assault or not, isn't a particularly convenient weapon for one person wield while trying to steal something. Same thing with body armor. But again, base speculation.

muaddib said:
    How did the security guard get close enough to get into a struggle?
    Really? You say that like the guard, a former police officer did something wrong. LOL. Maybe he used a thumper to distract him. Or crept up on him using an irregular walking pattern. Maybe in making his rounds he turned a corner and walked into him. Maybe the suspect was creeping up on him and the guards spidey-sense warned hie. What.the.fuck.difference.does.it.make.

The guy survived with may have been a life or death struggle for him. I say it's a tragedy anybody died, but I'm happy it wasn't the guard. We may never know what the suspects intent. But it doesn't strike me as burglary. 

steveau said:
    A loss of life is always a tragedy, if not for the person himself then at least for his mum and dad. Re the handcuffs, in most countries criminals are only cuffed if they are violent, resisting arrest, etc.
    I'm with you on the loss of life.

In the picture those suspects don't display the looks of anger or contempt that you might expect in violent criminals. The police are quite a bit bigger. No guarantees that something bad wouldn't happen, but I'll assume that prior to the time of that picture being taken, there was some understanding established that resistance is futile. Or they have a more polite and civilized caliber of thieves. Here, I approve the use of 'cuffs being routine. Without a caption, that pic could just be a bad family photo. It could be argued that publishing a picture of suspects in custody and in cuffs before trial taints jury pools. Who knows. 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    matrix077 said:
    steveau said:
    apple ][ said:
    Also that photo from India seems a bit strange. It looks like they're all standing in that photo casually posing. Why are the criminals not in handcuffs? Don't they have or use handcuffs in India?
    A loss of life is always a tragedy, if not for the person himself then at least for his mum and dad. Re the handcuffs, in most countries criminals are only cuffed if they are violent, resisting arrest, etc.
    They will face tragedy sooner or later anyway if their son love to go out with body armor and assault rifle. The true tragedy will be someone else will lose their lives because of him. 
    Assault is against people, hunting means animals. Next question. 
  • Reply 24 of 26
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I don't know the full story but if this man was not threatening anyone this could have been handled better.

Was he on medication? What was his intent? Intimidation?

In a state that promotes both guns and killing this causes a mentality of kill and think later. Pathetic to think this was a "happy ending" when there was no story at all. Kinda like the "hero" police who have killed people for reaching for their ID or iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    matrix077 said:
    steveau said:
    apple ][ said:
    Also that photo from India seems a bit strange. It looks like they're all standing in that photo casually posing. Why are the criminals not in handcuffs? Don't they have or use handcuffs in India?
    They will face tragedy sooner or later anyway if their son love to go out with body armor and assault rifle. The true tragedy will be someone else will lose their lives because of him. 
    Any weapon with which the speaker is unfamiliar or is afraid to use. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 26
    spice-boy said:
    matrix077 said:
    steveau said:
    apple ][ said:
    Assault is against people, hunting means animals. Next question. 
    Any firearm that can be used against animals can be used against people.  Any firearm that can be used against people can be used to hunt animals.  So they're all hunting weapons, so no problem.
    SpamSandwich