Apple releases macOS Catalina Supplemental Update with iCloud Login fix

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2020
In conjunction with an iOS update, Apple has also released a supplemental update to macOS Catalina, eradicating a bug that was forcing iCloud logins for some users dozens of times a day.

Apple says that beyond the iCloud Login update, the update will improve installation reliability on computers with low available space, rectifies a Setup Assistant completion problem that was forcing users to restart their machine during the initial login, resolves an iCloud Terms and Conditions acceptance issue, and improves the reliability of iCloud saves of Apple Arcade data.

It does not appear that there are any security updates at all in the update.

Following months of beta testing, Apple's macOS Catalina was released on October 7. Among the most notable changes are Sidecar allowing an iPad to be used as a second screen, the split of iTunes into several applications, and the death of 32-bit applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Thanks Apple for fixing this annoying ‘feature’ of MacOS Catalina!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Macs are Phoning home like Microsoft or Google these days.
    darkvader
  • Reply 3 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    davgreg said:
    How exactly would iCloud anything work without phoning home?
    StrangeDayscharlieFdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    davgreg said:
    How exactly would iCloud anything work without phoning home?
    He doesn’t know. It just sounded good. You know, the evil corporation surveilling your life meme.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    karmadave said:
    Thanks Apple for fixing this annoying ‘feature’ of MacOS Catalina!
    Except it hasn't for me.

I'm still getting this annoying little bug.... every few minutes.

My worst however, is iPad syncing: PDFs don't show up. At all... so they can't be synced. RAW image files aren't syncing to iPad either. And Catalina successfully wiped nearly 370GB of images from my iPad too (They're on my HD of course).

Not very happy right now. :(
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I upgraded 2 machines with catalina- and both are exhibiting the constant login reminders.  Quite annoying, waiting on this to settle down before updating any of my main workstations.

Hopefully this fix helps.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Does it fix the error message:
    '“update” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin
  • Reply 8 of 22
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I had this problem!!! It was so annoying. Glad there’s an update to fix it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    That's interesting... I upgraded three Macs.  My late-2017 MBP did experience this problem when I did an "upgrade".  Since it was my guinea-pig machine, I then did a clean-install (reformat drive) and it did the problem went away.

My two other macs - one upgrade, and one clean-install both completed with zero problems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    I encountered the Setup Assistant completion problem on all four (4) installations I performed. I also encountered issues with my iCloud account and a second AppleID account used for music, video, and books purchases - all four times. Oh, and I had to resynchronize my 32,000 photo collection in Photos all four times and refresh all the album artwork for about 2200 albums, yup all four times. And Books got attached to the wrong AppleID, forcing me to accept its confusion long enough to get into Books and log out of the wrong account. Trying to direct Books to the correct account upon launching Books for the first time was futile. Another 4X flub.

So all in all it wasn't too bad, at least not after the first time when I realized I wasn't going to lose anything while crawling out of the messy ooze. Tedious as hell for sure, but nothing was lost in the process, at least that I know of. Other than the Setup Assistant problem, which may have been the root cause issue for everything I've described, I was generally impressed that no matter what kind of knots Catalina got itself tied up in during the installation and first launch,  it eventually unwound itself from the tangled mess with a little non panic mode persuasion on my part.

The only lingering issue I now have is that several of the Apple Music albums that were downloaded into my Music/iTunes app (iTunes Match) on my Macs are no longer available in the online Apple Music collection, probably due to contractual reasons, but I can't delete them from the Music app no matter what I try. This is a pain because I have an "all music" playlist and now I get a bunch of errors when I try to download everything to my Mac. Perhaps Apple will release a Supplement to the Supplement.

Truth be told, after crashing and burning one of my Macs with Catalina Beta 1, which kept me away from all subsequent Catalina betas, I thought that the first Catalina release would be a major shit storm, at least a Category 2 Shit Storm. In reality, it's only been a Tropical Shit Storm, not even Cat 1. In reality, I'm mildly impressed.  
    coolfactor
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Still getting the "Update Apple ID Settings" on my MBP even after this "fix". It's maddening.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    zroger73 said:
    Still getting the "Update Apple ID Settings" on my MBP even after this "fix". It's maddening.
    I saw the same thing on some machines. Try logging out of your iCloud account and then logging back in after all of the iCloud services are disconnected and you see the LogIn prompt. You'll probably want to say Yes to saving your iCloud content on your Mac as part of logging out of iCloud.

This supplemental update almost feels like a reinstall, it takes you back to where the Setup Assistant failed the first time, but this time it finishes. But yeah, it still has issues with iCloud/AppleID related stuff on some machines. It does try to fix the Apple Music album artwork bug all by itself and the issue with missing tracks interfering with downloads seems to be better. Interesting that iPadOS has no similar issues with respect to Apple Music. Maybe they moved all the good devs to the iOS team - just kidding.
    edited October 2019 zroger73
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Well, it still hung up at the Setting up Screen Time window when it was booting up after the update, forcing me to force shut down, and the folders that sported generic document icons are still behaving that way, so there's two bugs not fixed.  On the upside, my Logitech wireless mouse now works again.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    I'm waiting several updates to Catalina before I make the jump from Mojave. Just feels like too big of a leap from an otherwise stable machine (2013 MacBook Air).

One thing I haven't read much about... does Catalina take up less disk space than Mojave? We've seen improvements with this in the past, and it would nice for them to continue reducing disk usage.

I still can't believe they went with "Macintosh HD - Data" as the name for the Data volume, though. HD usually refers to spinning hard drives. It's time to retire that default name. "Mac Drive" is a better name. :smile: 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I'm waiting several updates to Catalina before I make the jump from Mojave. Just feels like too big of a leap from an otherwise stable machine (2013 MacBook Air).

One thing I haven't read much about... does Catalina take up less disk space than Mojave? We've seen improvements with this in the past, and it would nice for them to continue reducing disk usage.

I still can't believe they went with "Macintosh HD - Data" as the name for the Data volume, though. HD usually refers to spinning hard drives. It's time to retire that default name. "Mac Drive" is a better name. :smile: 

It's about the same as Mojave right now. Varies from install to install a little bit.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    dewme said:
    zroger73 said:
    I saw the same thing on some machines. Try logging out of your iCloud account and then logging back in after all of the iCloud services are disconnected and you see the LogIn prompt. You'll probably want to say Yes to saving your iCloud content on your Mac as part of logging out of iCloud.

This supplemental update almost feels like a reinstall, it takes you back to where the Setup Assistant failed the first time, but this time it finishes. But yeah, it still has issues with iCloud/AppleID related stuff on some machines. It does try to fix the Apple Music album artwork bug all by itself and the issue with missing tracks interfering with downloads seems to be better. Interesting that iPadOS has no similar issues with respect to Apple Music. Maybe they moved all the good devs to the iOS team - just kidding.
    I logged out of iCloud, waited, then logged back in. That seems to have cured it. Interestingly, I was not presented with the option to save iCloud content locally this time. Before the supplemental update, iCloud kept trying to transfer almost 4 GB of something when I tried logging out no matter which option I chose. I'm not sure what it was transferring or in which direction since there was nothing on the newish MBP and there's nowhere near 4 GB of data in my iCloud account.

I also had iCloud problems with the latest Apple TV update. It took days for each of my ATV's to cure themselves of the need to constantly log back in to my iCloud account.

Even though my HomePods' software hasn't been updated, there is now a long delay before Siri adds items to my shopping list and she no longer repeats what I said which is frustrating because she gets its right far less often than Alexa. I'd use Alexa for this purpose, but I don't like the Amazon Alexa app.

This whole iOS 13 and MacOS 10.15 experience hasn't been pleasant for me. I've had a dozen machines and updated a dozen times over the last decade. From where I"m sitting, updates seem to be getting more sloppy over time.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    Haven't seen the update yet.  Hell, I haven't seen the update for the regular Catalina.  I'm still running the Catalina Beta GM,  I left the Beta program the day before Catalina was supposed to drop and haven't seen anything yet
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    How about the Mail bugs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dysamoria said:
    How about the Mail bugs?
    Not in the supplemental, but they seem to be fixed in the 10.15.1 beta.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22

Haven't seen the update yet.  Hell, I haven't seen the update for the regular Catalina.  I'm still running the Catalina Beta GM,  I left the Beta program the day before Catalina was supposed to drop and haven't seen anything yet
    You need to go to the App Store, search on Catalina, and install it from there. It won't update from the beta through Software Update even after you delete the beta profile.
    lorin schultzwatto_cobra