AirPods competitor Google Pixel Buds 2 coming in early 2020 for $179

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
At Tuesday's Google release event, the company announced Google Pixel Buds 2, offering significant improvements over the last iteration -- but if you want them, you're going to have to wait a while.

Google Pixel Buds 2

The Pixel Buds 2 will feature a hybrid design, sealing ear for better bass reception and a "spatial vent" to prevent the "plugged-ear" feeling common with many headphones. Dynamic software will adjust volume as the wearer moves between quiet and noisy areas.

Unlike "stem-style" earbuds such as Apple's AirPods, the Pixel Buds feature a small piece that tucks into the wearer's concha -- the spot above the opening of the ear. They refer to this piece as the "stabilizer arc," designed to keep it in place during heavy workouts. The Pixel Buds also sit flush to the ear, making them somewhat less obvious than other wireless earbuds.

Like most newer Bluetooth devices, the Pixel Buds 2 will have a vastly increased wireless range. Wearers should be able to get roughly 100 yards of wireless range outside, or roughly three rooms indoors.

Two microphones in each earbud will focus on the wearers voice while suppressing the environmental noise. They also feature a voice accelerometer that can detect speech through the vibrations of the jaw, which should help provide clearer calls in windy environments.

The Pixel Buds will automatically detect when they're in a wearers ears and feature touch controls for playing, pausing, and adjusting the volume of music. Wearers should expect five hours of listening time on a single charge, and roughly 24 hours when used in conjunction with the wireless charging case. The pixel buds are sweat and water resistant, so wearers shouldn't need to fear sweaty workouts or rainy days.

While designed with Google Pixel and Android owners in mind, Pixel Buds will still pair with any Bluetooth 4.0+ laptops, tablets, and devices -- including the iPhone, iPad, and Bluetooth-enabled macOS computers.

Pixel Buds feature the Google Assistant and "Hey Google" functionality. This gives wearers the ability to quickly perform basic actions, such as playing audio, sending texts, asking for directions, or even translating a foreign language.

The Google Pixel Buds 2 will be releasing at some time in 2020, will come in orange, mint, white, and black, and are set to feature a retail price of $179.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    its a pity the Apple horde here is gonna hate but these look really nice and elegant, perhaps even more so than Air Pods, its really interesting to see old Goog finally taking design seriously like this, wondering about the paring speed  though vis a vis H1 chip , they're probably a bit pricey too. 
  • Reply 2 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Who asked for these?..... I bet the same iKnockoff morons who criticized Jony's design will praise the candy in your ear design of these.

holyone said:
    its a pity the Apple horde here is gonna hate but these look really nice and elegant, perhaps even more so than Air Pods, its really interesting to see old Goog finally taking design seriously like this, wondering about the paring speed  though vis a vis H1 chip , they're probably a bit pricey too. 

Because Apple fans hate knockoffs and reactionary half-assed garbage.

P.S. the first second of that ad is embarrassing how bad it tries to be Apple.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    holyone said:
    Horde, cult, iSheep, etc. I guess we know where your loyalties lie with that backhanded slap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    These seem like thewy might be decent ear buds for those not in the Apple ecosystem. without the H1 or W1 chip they're going to be missing some of that Apple magic but outside of that they have some decent features. They seem like they are part way between AirPods and PowerBeats. The sweat resistance and more secure fit while being more compact than PowerBeats might be appealing for some users. 

The issue for Google may be the price. Higher priced hardware from Google typically doesn't sell in very high volumes. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Apple really price the AirPods too low. Good there is now competition. Apple has a good design and no big firms dare to follow. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    holyone said:
    It's sad that anti Apple horde here have to make pre-emptive attack. There are people who genuinely hate how the Google Pixel Buds look like, nothing to do with what they prefer in the OS or company.
    davenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Doesn’t Google 1st attempt at copying AirPods last year fail spectacularly?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I just think it's too bad that Apple can't make something that's sweat resistant and won't fall out of my ears when I move my head.

Yeah, I know, my ears are shaped wrong, get new ones.  

avon b7
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    matrix077 said:
    Doesn’t Google 1st attempt at copying AirPods last year fail spectacularly?
    They've never designed anything similar to AirPods in either function or design AFAIK. Definitely nothing even remotely copied.

These are not designed anything like AirPods either with nothing projected or hanging from the ears. They also appear to be more securely held in the ear and add niche features like instant translation. In my business dealing with some clientele whose native language is not English that could potentially be advantageous but for most people it's probably not. Maybe a big metro like LA or New York wih so many languages being spoken?

Overall the other functions may be similar to what Apple has to offer (again hardly copied) but no one exactly knows yet. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I just think it's too bad that Apple can't make something that's sweat resistant and won't fall out of my ears when I move my head.

Mine too.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    I would have given the AirPods a go if they had a chance of staying in my ears (or my wife's ears).

That, and them being basically disposable due to the batteries not being replaceable is what has made me hold off. However, I think all brands seem to provide no easy way to replace them so it might pay for me to stick with a pair of silicone cheapos and hope reaolves the battery situation along the way.

Google is saying these buds are a good choice for workouts but for me, just getting any bud to stay in and be comfortable is the biggest priority.
  • Reply 12 of 13

Sweat resistance and a secure fit were important to me too. So I went with the PowerBeats. The Powerbeats3 I had for a couple of years felt like a mashup between an Apple Product and the original Beats products pre-Apple takeover. But the PowerBeats Pro I have now definitely feel like a genuine Apple product. Much better style, better fit and way more durable. 

Of course the case is far larger than AirPods so some might not find it as easy to carry them around. I haven't had any issues with it though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lolliver said:

Sweat resistance and a secure fit were important to me too. So I went with the PowerBeats. The Powerbeats3 I had for a couple of years felt like a mashup between an Apple Product and the original Beats products pre-Apple takeover. But the PowerBeats Pro I have now definitely feel like a genuine Apple product. Much better style, better fit and way more durable. 

Of course the case is far larger than AirPods so some might not find it as easy to carry them around. I haven't had any issues with it though.
    I have yet to find any set of ear buds that I'm ready to pay upwards of $100 just to see if I like them, and the cheap ones I can pretty much guarantee will be worth every penny spent.  I guess I'll just muddle along with the Nokia 905 and Rocketfish back-of-the-head headsets I've had for years.  They're both getting a little long in the tooth, but still work just fine.