Half of all compatible iPhones now run iOS 13, iPadOS adoption hits 33%

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2019
Apple on Wednesday offered its first peek at iOS 13 install rates, noting the current-generation operating system is now installed on 50% of compatible iPhones.

Statistics revealed in a post to an Apple developer support webpage also show iOS 13 adoption at 55% for devices released in the last four years.

Overall usage of Apple's last-generation iOS 12 is down to 41%, a figure that shrinks to 38% for recently introduced devices. Earlier versions of the mobile operating system occupy a 9% share of all compatible devices and 7% of hardware introduced over the past four years.

Apple's numbers were gleaned from App Store visits logged on Oct. 15, 2019.

This year's iOS 13 launch is on a trajectory similar to that of iOS 12, which after a month of availability was running on 50% of all devices and 53% of devices released in the four years prior to 2018. Last year's iOS release enjoyed rapid adoption after initial release, with installs jumping to 70% in three months. By comparison, iOS 11 was installed on only 59% of devices over the same period. It should be noted that Apple now breaks out iPad statistics from iOS adoption rates.

Apple notes iPadOS is now running on 33% of all compatible iPads. The majority of iPads, some 51%, are still operating iOS 12, while another 16% are on older versions of iOS. Those figures see a slight bump for devices released in the last four years, with 41% running iPadOS, 51% on iOS 12 and 8% on earlier versions.

Introduced alongside iPhone 11 and 11 Pro in September, iOS 13 offers users an array of new features including Dark Mode, the "Sign in with Apple" single sign-in tool, revamped first-party apps, new camera features and much more.

Apple has since issued multiple point updates to patch bugs and security holes discovered after launch. The operating system is now up to version iOS 13.13, which saw release on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    This is a bit hard to believe considering how long iOS 13.x.x has been out and all of the ranting about issues with it there have been.   I myself have been scared to upgrade since my phone is working fantastic on 12.4.1.  Perhaps in the future,  they should do more evolutionary changes to iOS instead of what seems to be massive changes.  It seems obvious they had to code for the new 3 camera system on the new phones.  But instead,  could they have focused on the new cameras first and then work on the new changes and release the new changes after much more thorough beta testing?  More than any other release, it seems 13 was rushed out the door when it didn't have to be.  I wonder if Tim Cook is aware of all the negative posts about it on various forums.
    edited October 2019 OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 2 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    M68000 said:
    This is a bit hard to believe considering how long iOS 13.x.x has been out and all of the ranting about issues with it there have been.   I myself have been scared to upgrade since my phone is working fantastic on 12.4.1.  Perhaps in the future,  they should do more evolutionary changes to iOS instead of what seems to be massive changes.  It seems obvious they had to code for the new 3 camera system on the new phones.  But instead,  could they have focused on the new cameras first and then work on the new changes and release the new changes after much more thorough beta testing?
    It's not hard to believe for me, since I upgraded all of my devices on day one and everything has been smooth as can be, without encountering any issues. I'm not saying that there doesn't exist a few bugs or small issues that will be fixed, but I haven't noticed them in my usage.

I don't regret updating to iOS 13 at all. I'm liking all of the new changes. I updated 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and an Apple Watch. The update is especially noticeable on the iPad with the introduction of iPad OS.

I'm also liking the built in swipe keyboard, I don't think that existed before if I'm not mistaken.

I've never used a swipe keyboard before, but it works great on the iPhone and it's incredibly easy and fast to type now, much faster than using the traditional method, at least for me.
    edited October 2019 jahbladepscooter63lolliverStrangeDayscharlesgresuraharaMacPro
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Great operating system, enjoyed it even when I was in the beta testing program. Software design and improvements goes hand-in-hand with ship design and improvements.
    lollivercharlesgreswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    I’m curious to hear how Catalina adoption is going
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I was running the iPadOS beta, and in the early betas I definitely saw some issues (mostly cosmetic, but a few compatibility issues), but that went away pretty quick and I barely noticed the changeover to the final release. My iPhone was never on a beta but I installed iOS 13 on the first day and have not noticed any issues thus far.

I think M68000 may either be confusing the bug reports with macOS Catalina with iOS 13, or is simply confusing "my un-updated app has problems with Dark Mode/iOS 13" with actual bugs within the OS itself. Not saying their aren't any, but typical iPhone and iPad users should not see any significant issues in normal use, unless they are trying to run obsolete/unsupported apps.
    edited October 2019 pscooter63lollivercharlesgreswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    M68000 said:
    This is a bit hard to believe considering how long iOS 13.x.x has been out and all of the ranting about issues with it there have been.   I myself have been scared to upgrade since my phone is working fantastic on 12.4.1.  Perhaps in the future,  they should do more evolutionary changes to iOS instead of what seems to be massive changes.  It seems obvious they had to code for the new 3 camera system on the new phones.  But instead,  could they have focused on the new cameras first and then work on the new changes and release the new changes after much more thorough beta testing?  More than any other release, it seems 13 was rushed out the door when it didn't have to be.  I wonder if Tim Cook is aware of all the negative posts about it on various forums.

iOS13 is fine. You're putting too much stock in internet bullshit and clickbait sensationalism. Especially now with 3.13. Haven't experienced a single issue. Just upgrade. And no, I hope Tim Cook isn't wasting his time reading useless forum posts. 

lkruppjahbladepscooter63lolliverStrangeDayscharlesgresuraharaMacProcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    iOS 13 for me is very smooth and no bug so far that I encountered, in fact less bug than every upgrades since iPhone 3G. So people who hesitate should now upgrade. macOS Catalina on the other hand is really garbage. Not s single one I know, including me, doesn’t encounter a major bug or more. Silly bug like email message disappeared should not happened in the release. If anyone told me this is beta 1 I still believe.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    The only bug I have found in iOS 13 is that Dark Mode is not working on the AppleInsider app... :*
    edited October 2019 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    M68000 said:
    Two ipads, two iphones, two macs. We’re fine. No issues, no lost productivity, no whining. 
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    M68000 said:
    People with zero problems hardly reported they have zero problems. Most likely all the complaints came from a very 'few selected' people who for some reason had isolated problems and made the most noises in the forum or that you are reading beta reports. Either way, I personally find 13 is the best OS(es) release ever, iPhone, iPad, iMac all are updated with zero issues.
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Interesting so 10% of active iOS Devices are older than 4 years and about 80% of them are running iOS 12 so must be compatible (5S or 6)
    Googling tells me Apple have sold close to 900mill iPhones in 4 years.

So back of the envelop rounding down each assumption something like 50 - 70 million 5s and 6 iphones still in active duty.

And people keep saying there is no way there are 30mill iPhone users are hanging out wanting a smaller footprint device.
    I mean Apple know the truth and yes it could be 60mill iPhone 6 and only 1mill iPhone 5S and device size really isn't the issue but I suspect not.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    a hawkins said:
    macOS Catalina on the other hand is really garbage. Not s single one I know, including me, doesn’t encounter a major bug or more.
    You can count me for one.. I encountered not a single issue, except maybe that I was frequently asked my apple-id password initially, but the supplemental update fixed that..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    My devices work all fine since zero day update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Well I'm glad that so many on this forum have "no problems" with the update.  But there are other forums where the reviews of iOS 13.x.x are not as rosy and all "blue skies"... guess at some point I will attempt to try it but hopefully will have a good backup ready if needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    kevin kee said:
    M68000 said:
    People with zero problems hardly reported they have zero problems. Most likely all the complaints came from a very 'few selected' people who for some reason had isolated problems and made the most noises in the forum or that you are reading beta reports. Either way, I personally find 13 is the best OS(es) release ever, iPhone, iPad, iMac all are updated with zero issues.
    Or reported/posted by people with no Apple products at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    M68000 said:
    Well I'm glad that so many on this forum have "no problems" with the update.  But there are other forums where the reviews of iOS 13.x.x are not as rosy and all "blue skies"... guess at some point I will attempt to try it but hopefully will have a good backup ready if needed.
    Hopefully backed up?  Do you even have an iPhone? I lost my iPhone recently and a replacement was back up and running in minutes with nothing lost what-so-ever.  That's how iPhones and the Apple ecosystem works.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    MacPro said:
    M68000 said:
    Hopefully backed up?  Do you even have an iPhone? I lost my iPhone recently and a replacement was back up and running in minutes with nothing lost what-so-ever.  That's how iPhones and the Apple ecosystem works.
    Yes,  Nearly bought blackberry years ago but then original iPhone came out and using various iPhones since.  As for the backup,  i’ve never tried restoring from such a major version change,  hence the concern.
    caladanian
  • Reply 18 of 23
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    As I was traveling I had delayed updating my XS Max until the iOS was in the third minor release: the update went smooth (iTunes) and there have been no issues. In part I’m sure because a lot of my more frequently used apps were caught up for 13 before I got around to installing the iOS. It’s my long term experience it’s incompatibility between operating system and application software that’s the easily predictable source of OS “glitches”. Desktop or mobile. 

Until the application software is caught up trouble can be lurking. And especially smaller app developer shops can be lagging in getting the updated compatible release tested and out. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    M68000 said:

Ummm what planet are you on?

It's typical for iOS users to adopt quickly and iOS 13 is one of the most stable releases ever.

You must be paying too much attention to the anti-Apple media which will blow up any Apple issue but ignore dangerous security flaws of the knockoffs.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    M68000 said:

Ummm what planet are you on?

It's typical for iOS users to adopt quickly and iOS 13 is one of the most stable releases ever.

You must be paying too much attention to the anti-Apple media which will blow up any Apple issue but ignore dangerous security flaws of the knockoffs.
    Yes - it’s typical to adopt quickly when auto update is enabled by default and decides for people!  I’m paying attention to another Apple related forum which gets many more comments than this one does.  Many users are not happy.   The frequency of these updates should indicate that important things needed to be fixed and fast.  I rest my case and I won’t be commenting on this forum anymore about iOS -  i’m Done
    edited October 2019