Apple said to launch noise-cancelling 'AirPods Pro' in October

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    All good...but  whats the news on the Mac Pro , the pro display and the iPad pro? 
  • Reply 22 of 36
    nicholfd said:
    I bet they are not noise cancelling, but have an additional mode that listens with the microphone, and plays ambient sounds through the AirPods...

You "heard" it here first! :wink: 
    Nope, it's been talked about.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Everything Apple Pro.

hentaiboy said:
    Because noise cancelling is such a “Pro” feature...

The Pencil will be next.

/s

Ummm how are you sure this is the only "Pro" feature? I'm sure Apple will add features like Find My, U1 chip, maybe a new W chip and BLACK.

avon b7 said:
    tjwolf said:
    If these are, indeed, AirPods - i.e. buds that just sit in your ear, not over your ears, nor sealed-off in any way - I wonder how they'd achieve active noise cancellation.  Seems like a very difficult problem.  From what I understand, noise cancelling headphones basically try to generate an "opposite" wave of all the external sounds that make it to your ear.  That's easier when some of the sounds are already muffled or eliminated by either sealing the earbuds in the ear canal or by essentially putting 'bowls' over the ears.

And all that has to be done in these tiny buds.  Pretty impressive, if it can be done.  Sign me up.  I have these Bose QC-15 collecting dust in a drawer since the AirPods came out.  Loved their noise cancellation capability, but they're not exactly portable (and are wired).  Just took a quick look and it seems like the sealing foam is starting to fall apart :-(   Oh well - not using them anyway.

Here is an example of something similar to what  might be coming:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/06/huawei-freebuds-3-noise-canceling-airpods-hands-on/

In that case, which is also an open fit solution, there are physical design changes to better isolate voice, reduce wind interference and what seems to be selective ANC up to 15 decibels. Improved audio processor and new, low latency, high bandwidth HD Bluetooth.

Goodness those things are such an AirPods knockoff. Doesn't surprise me coming from HuaWei. They even ripped off the AirPods pose. At least Sammy is trying nowadays.

• Reply 24 of 36
    Ah I bought the Airpods 2 not too long ago. If I knew this was coming I'd have waited.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    urahara said:
    hentaiboy said:

The Pencil will be next.

/s
    Of course, it's not a pro feature. What is a 'pro' feature? Please tell us.
    I’m afraid I can’t answer that. You’d have to ask Apple. 

I do know that my laundry powder is for “Pros” and not “Average Joes”.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 36
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Pro?!! Stick it in your ear! Literally. By sticking it in your ear and plugging your ear canal, you’ve already eliminated 90% of the outside noise. You need very little active noise cancellation if any. Is this some kind of Apple scam?
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 27 of 36
    hentaiboy said:

The Pencil will be next.

/s
    So true. Overuse of the term Pro will water down its true meaning. It’s like giving everyone an award, the value of the award is lost. Calling everything Pro for a little added functionality and way to charge more is very unimaginative, in my opinion... but hey, not seen these things yet so may be proved wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Great noise cancellation costs money. Decent noise cancellation can be fairly inexpensive, so I'm interested to see how well these work.

I tried a pair of $30 Macally noise canceling headphone at MacWorld one year. I didn't expect much of the fidelity or noise canceling ability.

But they were impressive in reducing the noise floor, with adequate fidelity. They greatly reduced the din of the crowd. From that point on I've wondered what really good NC headphones sound like. but they tend to be pricey and I don't have much application for their use.

I'm a big fan of AirPods and they fit me well, allowing me to wear them they need to be recharged. I'm good for about two hours with sealing IEC buds, which I think would be needed for active NC.

So these aren't likely to be in my future, but I'll get to an AS to give them a listen. I wish I could hear how well they work on urban street traffic.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    hentaiboy said:

The Pencil will be next.

/s
    I’m waiting for the Pro Lightning Cable.  (Apple’s sudden catering to the ‘Pro’ market means slapping the word ‘Pro’ on everything.  Spaceballs the bed sheets, Spaceballs the toilet paper, Spaceballs the lunch box.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,545member
    You’re thirteen years late to the party, Disneylandman
  • Reply 31 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Rereading the article, I made the mistake of assuming active noise cancellation vs passive noise cancellation.

These could be merely using only silicone or similar tips to seal the 'pod to the ear canal, passively reducing ambient noise. This would mean no additional electronics to compute and generate noise canceling sound.

The Focus Mode would be using the AirPods' mics to pipe amplify and pipe in outside sound. This is easy since the iPhone already has Live Listening, which would be the same concept as Focus Mode. 
  • Reply 32 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    macgui said:
    Rereading the article, I made the mistake of assuming active noise cancellation vs passive noise cancellation.

These could be merely using only silicone or similar tips to seal the 'pod to the ear canal, passively reducing ambient noise. This would mean no additional electronics to compute and generate noise canceling sound.

The Focus Mode would be using the AirPods' mics to pipe amplify and pipe in outside sound. This is easy since the iPhone already has Live Listening, which would be the same concept as Focus Mode. 
    I think the suggested pricing points to something more than passive cancellation.
    spheric
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Holding out for the iPod Socks Pro.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    My Sennheiser earphone have noise-cancelling for 10+ years already....
    edited October 2019 aegean
  • Reply 35 of 36
    I love my airpods, I use them religiously, but having noise cancelling too would be great
  • Reply 36 of 36
    If this comes out, I'll have a hard time deciding between this and the Beats Solo Pro.
    rollerskater