Apple has made it clear how you should wear your Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    sirozha said:
    The heartbeat sensor in the Apple Watch is dismal. It doesn't work for me when I run or walk and neither does it for my wife (two different Apple Watch Series 3 pieces). Neither did that feature work in the Apple Watch Series 2). So, that's four different Apple Watches that do not perform as advertised. Even without working out, the heart rate is all over the place jumping between 50s and 150s. 

I'm not saying that it's the worst heart monitor in a watch. I think they are all bad regardless of the brand. The technology is not there yet. I was planning to buy a Series 4 and then a Series 5 watch, but as far as I know, the heart monitor in the newer releases is the same as in Series 3 and Series 2. 

I have tried to do multiple things: wear the watch loose, wear it tight, clean the back, wipe the sweat (if any), etc. I can't get consistent heart-rate reading from my watch when working out and the reading at rest is a crap shot. Same for my wife. 
    I hazard a guess that your experience is atypical.  http://med.stanford.edu/appleheartstudy/faq.html
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sirozha said:
    The heartbeat sensor in the Apple Watch is dismal. It doesn't work for me when I run or walk and neither does it for my wife (two different Apple Watch Series 3 pieces). Neither did that feature work in the Apple Watch Series 2). So, that's four different Apple Watches that do not perform as advertised. Even without working out, the heart rate is all over the place jumping between 50s and 150s. 

I'm not saying that it's the worst heart monitor in a watch. I think they are all bad regardless of the brand. The technology is not there yet. I was planning to buy a Series 4 and then a Series 5 watch, but as far as I know, the heart monitor in the newer releases is the same as in Series 3 and Series 2. 

I have tried to do multiple things: wear the watch loose, wear it tight, clean the back, wipe the sweat (if any), etc. I can't get consistent heart-rate reading from my watch when working out and the reading at rest is a crap shot. Same for my wife. 
    No problem here. In fact, comparing it with my gym’s sensors in the cardio machine handles yields very similar reports. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 23 of 35
    NY1822 said:
    Wearing the watch on my left wrist with the crown on the upper right (the normal way), activates Siri constantly when I am lifting weights. The bending of the wrist pushes against the crown...So now I have wear it upside down with the crown on the lower left.
    I have had this happen a lot of times when I have had it on my left wrist & I don’t lift weights... I have thought of turning it around... Maybe I’ll have to try it the other way...
  • Reply 24 of 35
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    This is the best I could find on Apple's website:

About Apple Watch water resistance

Learn about water resistance on your Apple Watch and what to do if your device gets wet.

Is my Apple Watch waterproof?

Your Apple Watch is water resistant, but not waterproof.* For example, you may wear and use your Apple Watch during exercise (exposure to sweat is OK), in the rain, and while washing your hands.

Can I go swimming or take a shower with my Apple Watch?

Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) are splash and water resistant, but submerging Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) isn't recommended.

Apple Watch Series 2 and newer may be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 and newer shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water or submersion below shallow depth. 

Showering with Apple Watch Series 2 and newer is ok, but we recommend not exposing Apple Watch to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes as they can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes. Apple Watch should be cleaned with fresh water and dried with a lint free-cloth if it comes in contact with anything other than fresh water.

Water resistance isn't a permanent condition and may diminish over time. Apple Watch can't be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of your Apple Watch and should be avoided:

• Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.
    • Exposing Apple Watch to soap or soapy water (for example, while showering or bathing). 
    • Exposing Apple Watch to perfume, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye. 
    • Exposing Apple Watch to high-velocity water (for example, while water skiing). 
    • Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room. 

Not all bands are appropriate for water use. For example, the stainless steel and leather bands aren't water resistant and shouldn't be exposed to liquids.

What should I do if my Apple Watch gets wet?

If water splashes on to your Apple Watch, wipe it off with a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth. Don't use heat, compressed air, or sprays. Clean and dry your Apple Watch, the band, and your skin after workouts or heavy sweating. After swimming, gently rinse Apple Watch Series 2 and newer with warm tap water. Dry Apple Watch and the band thoroughly if they're exposed to fresh water. Learn more about cleaning your Apple Watch

If your Apple Watch got wet and now its speaker sounds muffled, follow the steps below. Don't insert anything into the openings—for example, the microphone or speaker ports—and don't shake the watch to remove water. Allowing your Apple Watch to charge overnight might speed up evaporation.

On Apple Watch Series 3 and newer, measurements from the barometric altimeter may be less accurate if water gets into the air vent (for example, during swimming). Normal altimeter performance returns after the water has evaporated.

Apple Watch Series 2 and newer

When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with Water Lock to avoid accidental taps. When you're done, turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear any water from your Apple Watch. You hear sounds and may feel some water on your wrist. 

To manually clear water from Apple Watch, swipe up on the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center, tap Water Lock, then turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear water from the speaker. 

Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier

Check to see if water is in the microphone or speaker by placing the device, speaker side down, on a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth to see if any water drips out. Water in the port may degrade speaker or microphone performance until it completely evaporates. 

* Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) have a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. Apple Watch Series 2 and newer have a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. Classic Buckle, Leather Loop, Modern Buckle, Milanese, and Link Bracelet Bands aren't water resistant.

Published Date: October 18, 2019
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 25 of 35
    abominable device, ugly, looks like a baby watch. 
    I’ve been waiting for years hoping they would change the design. Got a bunch of apple products but can’t stand this ugly device no mater how smart it is 
  • Reply 26 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sirozha said:

Apple lists several conditions that make optical heart rate readings inaccurate -- such as dark skin, tatoos, etc.   It is one reason why I hope that they eventually migrate to an electrical sensor from the optical that pretty much all use now.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Wow gets better and better I use to have apple everything but switched to samsung Galaxy everything and I have a galaxy S2 watch which isn't the nicest or most expensive Version of the galaxy watches and is not the newest eitherr  and the watch can be so loose and still collect everything. And to think the prices apple charges for their products and a smart watch that cost less than half of an apple watch can do everything the apple one does with better customization and doesn't need to be touching your skin to work. I don't get it apple charges so much for everything and the one good thing about apple is the battery life tends to last beater because there standby time is great that's one huge plus but except that they both do same thing and mine costs nothing compared to Apple's and 2nd if you work anywhere that doesn't allow you to wear  smart watches while working the square shape of the apple watch that is easily to rerecognized that it's a smart watch while this round Samsung smart watch just seems like a normal watch and all the people who spent all this money on a apple watch cant even wear it most of time and has to keep it off during work where most people spend most of their time if you work full time. What a waist Samsung knows how to do it right. Apple literally comes out with a new phone every 6 months and people line up for it when if u read up on apple watches and compared models especially ones in a row you will see they are practically the same with one or 2 small differences but people continue to waste money and get a new phone when only 1 outta every 10 give or take actually has enough difference between them to warrant an upgrade. Dont believe me read up on it and compare their specs especially between models that come back to back to one another n you'll see the smallest upgrade is done 80% of the time usually the upgrades are just to camera. And also it be nice if apple could let people customize there home screens more. Apple is still usually just the icon set up no variety or change it's so boring. Go samsung just me after u get over learning curve you'll see that samsung has some great things that can be customized how u want it to look instead ofml Apple's unchangeable outdated icon line up. That's been on the phone since its inception. My advice buy tech cause it's the most popular tech do some spec comparing & some research to check and see if its worth it to upgrade the to of the same type of item with the improvements not worth spending over n over again. You think with all the money apple has they could create better stuff. Like samsung had wireless charging like 8 years before apple finally copied and samsung as has SD card slots so u can double or triple your memory for the low price of an sd card where apple the only way to get more memory is to up to next step which means trading in again and shelling out more money just to have more memory. WHAT A RIP OFF APPLE IS this is only RIP Off but people still continue to do it. Like my galaxy has a VR headset itb.c.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Wow gets better and better I use to have apple everything but switched to samsung Galaxy everyth
    blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
    Soliking editor the gratecornchipbadmonk
  • Reply 29 of 35
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Up until the Watch I wore all my work watches on the inside of my left wrist. The exception was when I chose to wear one of my really nice watches, then I wore them on the outside.

I have a tendency to bang a watch on the surface of a table or desk when wearing on the inside so that's reserved for work watches.

The Watch is like my bulkier mechs when worn on the inside, so it goes on the outside only. It's worn with the digital crown opposite the wrist side because of the occasional Siri activation. I like wearing it lower on my arm, right next to the wrist bone. This clears the cuff of my duty jacket but would put the digital crown right next to my hand, so I would get the occasional Siri prompt.

• Reply 30 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    mac_128 said:

One more thing

Apple Watch works whether you wear it on your left or right wrist, and it does so by rotating the screen to be the correct side up for you. In either case, Apple's preferred way of your wearing it has the Digital Crown on the side of the watch nearest the top of your wrist. You can use the same screen rotation feature, though, to put the watch on the other way around.

The vast majority of Apple marketing photos show the watch on the left hand, with the Digital Crown on the upper right side of the watch. Granted left handed people are a minority within the population, but I’ve rarely seen any advertising that normalize wearing the watch on the right wrist with the crown on the bottom left. 
    I'm left handed and wear my Apple Watch on my left wrist. Most lefties are versatile naturally or from necessity living in a right handers world. 
  • Reply 31 of 35
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

mike1 said:
    mac_128 said:

One more thing

Apple Watch works whether you wear it on your left or right wrist, and it does so by rotating the screen to be the correct side up for you. In either case, Apple's preferred way of your wearing it has the Digital Crown on the side of the watch nearest the top of your wrist. You can use the same screen rotation feature, though, to put the watch on the other way around.

The vast majority of Apple marketing photos show the watch on the left hand, with the Digital Crown on the upper right side of the watch. Granted left handed people are a minority within the population, but I’ve rarely seen any advertising that normalize wearing the watch on the right wrist with the crown on the bottom left. 
    "Normalize"?! Do you feel the need for Apple to validate your left handedness?
    Spoken by someone that has never need to adjust for anything in their lives. 
    arlor
  • Reply 32 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:
    mac_128 said:

One more thing

I'm left handed and wear my Apple Watch on my left wrist. Most lefties are versatile naturally or from necessity living in a right handers world. 

• Reply 33 of 35
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    macgui said:
    Wow gets better and better I use to have apple everything but switched to samsung Galaxy everyth
    blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
    You need to misspell blah a few times to more accurately capture that post, but... yeah.  It was exactly what I was thinking
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 34 of 35
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    On my 3rd Apple Watch and I have these “issues” regardless of which side I wear it on, which type of band and how snugly worn:

1- I get random I didn’t get that replies like I queried Siri.
    2- If you go to sleep with the watch on, you can awaken with different faces set on your watch or some random app open.
  • Reply 35 of 35

The Milanese Loop is almost perfect as a watch strap. You can adjust it to just the right tightness. I've never had an issue with it pulling my hand hair.

The Link Bracelet was another great strap. Too bad they discontinued it.