US lawmakers urge Apple CEO Tim Cook to reinstate HKmap Live app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    tzm41 said:
    sflocal said:
    I can't think of anything better than its citizens to rise up once and for all and topple that government
    "I bet most of the Chinese citizens would beg to differ. Their government isn't as bad as our media depicts it to be, and many are just perfectly fine with it. "
    said someone 

good lord. have you asked the Uyghurs how they feel? NO their government is WAY worse than your media depicts. Wakey wakey
    cat52ktappe
  • Reply 22 of 72
    steven n. said:
    sflocal said:
    I can't stand China one bit.  China's policies and attitudes are the worst for global trade and intellectual property.  I can't think of anything better than its citizens to rise up once and for all and topple that government, Hong Kong being a prime example of the distrust its citizens have towards the Chinese government.

That being said, our government should butt out about what Apple should do with its business in China.  We don't like it when China tries to tell us what to do, so neither should we.

These politicians are only making a ruckus to ensure their re-election.  Nothing more.
    I agree with you fully on this. The thing most people miss is the protesters achieved their goal of blocking the extradition law and now they risk looking like basic anarchists. This will hurt in future protests since people won’t be able to relate to your grievance; people will simply assume you’re a malcontent. 
    I beg to differ. They didn’t achieve their goal at all. The bill was put on hold but can be re-instated anytime. Knowing how sleazy China is, no one in their right mind would trust China to put the bill on hold forever. They did the right thing to demand the bill to be withdrawn completely. 
    cat52ktappe
  • Reply 23 of 72
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I wonder if such a an app was being used during an uprising here if we be advocating knowing what areas the police are in. Especially once they be come targets. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 72
    tzm41 said:
    sflocal said:
    I can't think of anything better than its citizens to rise up once and for all and topple that government
    "I bet most of the Chinese citizens would beg to differ. Their government isn't as bad as our media depicts it to be, and many are just perfectly fine with it. "
    said someone 

good lord. have you asked the Uyghurs how they feel? NO their government is WAY worse than your media depicts. Wakey wakey
    He’s right that most Chinese are happy with their government. Why? Because the government has made them richer than ever. Who won’t be happy with that. Even Americans will be very happy in their place. The problem is China isn’t a country built on “human” principle like the United States. China isn’t built on freedom and equality. They’re built on power and greed with totalitarian rule. In short, they are the new Third Reich. Remember, Germans were very happy with Hitler and perfectly fine with him as well. 
    edited October 2019 pembrokelkrupp
  • Reply 25 of 72
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    matrix077 said:
    steven n. said:
    sflocal said:
    I can't stand China one bit.  China's policies and attitudes are the worst for global trade and intellectual property.  I can't think of anything better than its citizens to rise up once and for all and topple that government, Hong Kong being a prime example of the distrust its citizens have towards the Chinese government.

That being said, our government should butt out about what Apple should do with its business in China.  We don't like it when China tries to tell us what to do, so neither should we.

These politicians are only making a ruckus to ensure their re-election.  Nothing more.
    I agree with you fully on this. The thing most people miss is the protesters achieved their goal of blocking the extradition law and now they risk looking like basic anarchists. This will hurt in future protests since people won’t be able to relate to your grievance; people will simply assume you’re a malcontent. 
    I beg to differ. They didn’t achieve their goal at all. The bill was put on hold but can be re-instated anytime. Knowing how sleazy China is, no one in their right mind would trust China to put the bill on hold forever. They did the right thing to demand the bill to be withdrawn completely. 
    It was already completely withdrawn on September 4th, a month and a half ago.

And plus if Chinese government is as sleazy as you said, what point would they make to demand it to be withdrawn completely? They could just propose it again anytime in the future. This logic doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    tzm41 said:
    matrix077 said:
    steven n. said:
    sflocal said:

It was already completely withdrawn on September 4th, a month and a half ago.

And plus if Chinese government is as sleazy as you said, what point would they make to demand it to be withdrawn completely? They could just propose it again anytime in the future. This logic doesn't make much sense.

YOUR logic doesn’t make sense. If the bill is shredded and promised never to return to it and then did, then that would show China to be an explicit liar. But I don’t have time to argue with communist bot who’s got, or fed, informations from CCP anyway. 
    edited October 2019 cat52
  • Reply 27 of 72
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    How Apple decides to run its business in other country is between Apple, that country and people in that country. It has nothing to do with US law makers. Tim Cook should write them back to ask them to please shut up.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Apple has done the right thing given the position they are in.... its a question of laws! And business as well. ( Apple is not a political entity) 
    And as much  as some simple minded naive idealism   would like to portray  .. our reality is not painted in black and white!
  • Reply 29 of 72
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    Highly political, yet Comments are allowed.

Fascinating.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The idiot 'US lawmakers' send their letter to the wrong address, it's:

Apple

One Apple Park Way

Cupertino, CA 95014

• Reply 31 of 72
    Where there’s a will, there’s a way. In the absence of this app, people will find other ways to communicate the information, I’m sure the people of HK are not so bummed about it. Additionally if they’ve already downloaded the app prior to it being pulled they can still use it.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    tzm41 said:
    sflocal said:

I bet the millions of Muslim in Chinese concentration camp would think differently 
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Fatman said:
    The US is falling apart in many ways and our moronic politicians are spending time on this nonsense? Let the Chinese figure out their own issues - if Chinese government says the app could be used to harm police officers (even communist police officers are human beings) than Apple did the right thing. If history teaches us anything, those that want to change policy will find a way - I don’t think they need a friggin app to do it.
    I bet if you live in 1940’s you will say the same thing about nazi killing Jews.
    ktappe
  • Reply 34 of 72
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    If we are playing this card, then it better apply to everyone. Every company. Are they supporting China? Is Walmart? Can’t they protest the Chinese Govt? Should companies never follow requests from sovereign nations? Should they only if it’s a POV they support? 

I honestly don’t know here. I think China is ridiculous. So paranoid they ban online chat they don’t like. Won’t allow open criticism etc. But at this point I’m not sure the US is a shining example of open, honest and representative political views.  But when do companies say enough is enough? The list of countries that are barbaric by western standards is long. How do we choose allies? Does Apple represent the US Govt or are they a private company? Should all companies follow US laws and sensibilities?
    I don’t know...I don’t think it’s as easy as just saying no to a request from any Govt agency. But maybe it is...
    You have a lot of questions and that’s good. It’s the right time to quest for humanity and really do something for it. 

• Reply 36 of 72
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    cutykamu said:
    Have you ever been to know or know Chinese people? Because if you have you would never say that Chinese people should rise up against their government. It’s the opposite in fact as general population is quite happy with the current system.
    I disagree about your ‘quite happy’ comment .... I work with several Chinese employees that were born and raised in China, initially coming over to the US as students, and now work in the US and call it home. They have never lived any other way, but as they learn the freedoms that citizens of other countries have they realize they were being programmed, used, even oppressed by the government. The conversations I have with them are eye opening, surprising and often even sad. Many truly fear that the government will harm them and their family if they speak up.  
    ktappe
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Hypocrisy is pretending that the U.S. didn't already know China was an authoritarian country that deals harshly with dissent. That was known decades ago when they rounded up the people involved in the Tiananmen Square protests and either executed them or sent them to die in labor camps. You'll also notice that China, despite flying into a rage about NBA executive comments about Hong Kong, still wants to sell it's products in the United States. They're not worried about "hypocrisy" in doing business with a country they're diametrically opposed to in terms of social values. Treating Apple like they should fold up shop while everyone else continues with business as usual is kind of ridiculous. Tim Cook isn't responsible for the United States wanting to trade with China despite their government history.  
  • Reply 38 of 72
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    hub6152 said:
    I live in HK and have used the app which is nothing more than a very crude web portal, doesn’t show English Street names (an official language here) and the police are depicted using the Dog emoji as well as the police car. This is conveniently left off the headline photo! The use of dog to describe the police is actually a derogatory term and maybe in part why the app was taken down, and certainly the app could have just as easily have been used to organise against the police as well as it’s intended purpose to warn of their presence. Don’t assume that because the words freedom and democracy are associated with all of this that everything is as clear cut as it might seem! 
    Thank you for one insider’s perspective. Much of what I see here are outsider perspectives that have been shaped by outsider media, outsider opinions, and outsiders adopting the opinions that have been fed to them by outsider political influencers rather than formulating their own opinions. There are plenty of US politicians who like to throw their opinions out there about what others should do, and plenty of folks will slurp the politician’s opinion up as if it’s their own, but until the political leaders get their own act together their opinions are no more than hot air distractions keeping them from doing their real jobs as public servants to their constituents. If the US Congress wants to influence the politics and behaviors of other governments it should do so through diplomatic channels, not through a business leader trying to run a company. It’s pure laziness and ineptitude, in other words, more of simply following the status quo and blabber mouth inaction in US politics. 
  • Reply 39 of 72
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Ciprol said:
    Hypocrites! Let's call the Russians to come in and meddle in US politics too.
    I think that's already been done.  A couple times times.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hub6152 said:
    I live in HK and have used the app which is nothing more than a very crude web portal, doesn’t show English Street names (an official language here) and the police are depicted using the Dog emoji as well as the police car. This is conveniently left off the headline photo! The use of dog to describe the police is actually a derogatory term and maybe in part why the app was taken down, and certainly the app could have just as easily have been used to organise against the police as well as it’s intended purpose to warn of their presence. Don’t assume that because the words freedom and democracy are associated with all of this that everything is as clear cut as it might seem! 
    The "Freedom & Democracy" chant has been used for 20 years now to justify American attacks on other nations.   It was especially effective to get us into Iraq.  One would think it would have worn a little thin by now, but instead it's going strong.   "USA!  USA!   USA!"
    muthuk_vanalingam