Images of 16-inch MacBook Pro reportedly in macOS Catalina 10.15.1 beta 2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    What a bummer. After the iPad Pros I thought they'd be able to shave much more bezel off of Macbook screens. This really is just a bigger 15" laptop, what is even the point.
    Getting around 13% more display area, plus all the benefits of having more internal capacity for components seem like excellent points to me. I'd also think the physical Escape key is a plus for many.
    hm? Rumors are new keyboard, doesn't necessarily mean an Escape key.

Although, IMO Apple's way out of this Touch Bar mess is to restore the F-key-row and put the Touch Bar above it… we're not exactly lacking for space up there
    The image appears to have a separate key for Esc.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 34
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I've traditionally liked smaller laptops (still have my 12" PB G4!) but as I get older having a bigger display is no longer a nice luxury.  I find myself more and more drawn to this concept!
    AI_lias
  • Reply 23 of 34
    netrox said:
    Remember how old MacBook used to look with ports.... how ugly is that?!?! Don't ask Apple to include more ports. Just no. 

VS this new MacBook-- beautiful and consistent ports to do EVERYTHING. 

In order for those ports to do “everything” you have to attach “ugly” dongles to them. 
    seafoxwilliamlondonAI_liasdocno42
  • Reply 24 of 34
    TheNubi said:
    netrox said:
    Remember how old MacBook used to look with ports.... how ugly is that?!?! Don't ask Apple to include more ports. Just no. 

In order for those ports to do “everything” you have to attach “ugly” dongles to them. 
    That's bullshit.
    StrangeDaysfastasleepmacguiright_said_fred
  • Reply 25 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    What a bummer. After the iPad Pros I thought they'd be able to shave much more bezel off of Macbook screens. This really is just a bigger 15" laptop, what is even the point.
    Getting around 13% more display area, plus all the benefits of having more internal capacity for components seem like excellent points to me. I'd also think the physical Escape key is a plus for many.

Although, IMO Apple's way out of this Touch Bar mess is to restore the F-key-row and put the Touch Bar above it… we're not exactly lacking for space up there
    Gruber is saying there will be a mechanical escape key, and Apple will shorten the width of the Touch Bar to make room. The Touch Bar will then be bookended by the Touch ID and Escape buttons. Who knows.

Biggest issue with the Touch Bar To me is it is too short or too small. It should at least be a full key’s height, and have Force/3D Touch, including sound effects. 
  • Reply 26 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Presumably this larger, more “pro” size will also be outfitted with a full array of connectors actual people need. A 17” screen would be nice, but this sounds promising.
    We're not expecting anything other than Thunderbolt 3/USB-C.
    Will it be based on 10 nm or 14 nm chip?   I'm waiting for the 10 nm because it seems like when the lithography size decreases the battery life goes up.   Would love them to add back SD card reader and MagSafe (but not holding my breath)
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 27 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    k2kw said:
    Presumably this larger, more “pro” size will also be outfitted with a full array of connectors actual people need. A 17” screen would be nice, but this sounds promising.
    Will it be based on 10 nm or 14 nm chip?   I'm waiting for the 10 nm because it seems like when the lithography size decreases the battery life goes up.   Would love them to add back SD card reader and MagSafe (but not holding my breath)
    There aren’t any 10th gen Intel chips available yet for the MBP 45 W TDP envelope. So, another refresh of 14 nm processors. Would be interesting if it was ARM though.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    TheNubi said:
    netrox said:

Nope. You can use a normal cable for almost anything. For ex, USB-C-to-HDMI is a cable. There is absolutely no need to build-in bulky plug sockets, many of which will never be used by customers, when those who do need them can simply plug in the appropriate cable. 

This is why we are no longer complaining about the lack of ethernet sockets, etc. The solutions are there, they're flexible, and it's up to the individual to utilize the options they need. 

Or whine. Either way.
    edited October 2019 fastasleepmacgui
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Soli said:
    TheNubi said:
    netrox said:

That's bullshit.
    And how exactly will you connect ethernet, hdmi, display port or any other variety of peripheral to it?
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 30 of 34
    TheNubi said:
    Soli said:
    TheNubi said:
    netrox said:

That's bullshit.
    And how exactly will you connect ethernet, hdmi, display port or any other variety of peripheral to it?
    With the four TB3 ports.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tht said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Gruber is saying there will be a mechanical escape key, and Apple will shorten the width of the Touch Bar to make room. The Touch Bar will then be bookended by the Touch ID and Escape buttons. Who knows.

Biggest issue with the Touch Bar To me is it is too short or too small. It should at least be a full key’s height, and have Force/3D Touch, including sound effects. 

I noticed the little gaps when this first showed up, looks like one on either side:

Also, I wish they'd bring haptic feedback to the Touch Bar. I assume that's coming at some point as they work through the challenges of developing their virtual keyboards/control surfaces. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

TheNubi said:
    Soli said:
    TheNubi said:
    netrox said:

That's bullshit.
    Just get a dock for your desk (or a portable one) that has what you need, and connect that through the single TB3 cable. The vast majority of users do not need those things, and there are perfectly good and easy solutions out there for those that do. 

• Reply 33 of 34
    netrox said:

That is comparing a education focussed, entry-level offering with the top of the line professional offering.

If you compare like-with-like (from the same era or earlier) then I don't think we have moved forwards that much.

The ports on the unibody 2008 models were precision drilled and aesthetically pleasing:

Before that apple used to tuck them around the back, which for desk setups was ideal.
    This still looks beautiful and elegant today in my opinion:

• Reply 34 of 34
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    I couldn't see the differences until I saw a side-by-side on The Verge.

Based on this, people expecting the FaceTime camera to be much improved are probably SoL.

PS: This is always my biggest gripe with AnandTech's in-depth iPhone reviews. They compared a wooping 9 smartphone cameras., but they make you click a button to swap the image out instead of giving you an option to see them side-by-side.
    wizard69 said:
    That is kinda sad.   HDMI out is extremely useful still.   As for USB-C I do believe that is the future, the problem is dependence on the past which means a USB 3.x port. 

Frankly if Apple hasn’t addressed the following issues the the so call “pro” team has failed!
    1. The keyboard
    2. the number of ports, if they go USB-C only that means a minimal of 4. 
    3.  The reality of the wide spread use of HDMI should not be underestimated.  
    4.  Battery life that real users can appreciate.   I’m sorry but Apples misleading advertising sucks here, we need long battery life doing demanding work.   That means a big battery and the lowest power design possible.  
    5.  Cooling.   Let’s make sure this laptop doesn’t run at the edge of thermal failure.  
    6.  If it is the thinnest laptop ever they have failed to address the needs of demanding users.  
    1: Agreed, BUT our data so far on the 2019 on keyboard failure rates is roughly equivalent to the 2012 through 2015 over the same time period of availability.
    2: Half the 13-inch MBP and the entire 15-inch MBP has four now.
    3: USB-C is HDMI. It is literally a mode of USB-C.
    4: Processing power and lowest power design are mutually contradictory terms.
    5: It doesn't now. The 2019 is hugely better than the 2018, which (after a patch on the i7 and i9) was better than the 2017.
    6: The two are not mutually contradictory. It may not be for you, but that doesn't make it a failure.

The 16" icon is gone once again in 10.15.1 so I can't compare, but it looks like the key travel remains the same.