Editorial: Samsung hasn't copied Apple TV+ yet, but it's only a matter of time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Fatman said:
    Fact: These pockets belong to ‘wealthier’ people with higher educations that are willing to spend more money than Android users.
    fact: more television is watched by people with lower educations and less money.

sounds like both google and samsung are missing a huge opportunity
    Define “television.”   Is this stat true of Netflix?  HBO?  Hulu?  All services which require a reasonably fast internet connection.  Therein lies the divide.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 47

So start your stopwatch. Apple's longtime rival Samsung is surely coming to a screen near you, and soon.

[ ... ]

There have been no leaks of deals with producers. No sign, yet, of Samsung buying up a library of existing shows.
    Huh. /headscratch

If it's not true that everybody has an iPhone or an Android smartphone, it is true that everybody advertisers want to reach does.
    Then if the incredible rise of smartphones is one factor that has persuaded Apple to go into television, the subsequent decline has become another.

Decline? Of smartphones? Hmm...

Right now it's still the case that having your show watchable on an iPhone is a benefit for your show. It's ultimately going to be that doing the same thing is really a benefit to iPhone sales.

... what?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mobird said:

So start your stopwatch. Apple's longtime rival Samsung is surely coming to a screen near you, and soon.

[ ... ]

There have been no leaks of deals with producers. No sign, yet, of Samsung buying up a library of existing shows.
    Huh. /headscratch

If it's not true that everybody has an iPhone or an Android smartphone, it is true that everybody advertisers want to reach does.
    Then if the incredible rise of smartphones is one factor that has persuaded Apple to go into television, the subsequent decline has become another.

Right now it's still the case that having your show watchable on an iPhone is a benefit for your show. It's ultimately going to be that doing the same thing is really a benefit to iPhone sales.

... what?

Maybe it is time to shelve the "Editorials" for a little bit.

Almost as coherent as words from a recent debate...

"Why should someone who's clipping coupons in the stock market may, in fact, pay a lower tax rate than someone who in fact is, like I said, a schoolteacher and a fireman? It's ridiculous," Biden said."
    Take out the word “may” and it not only makes perfect sense, but he’s right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mobird said:

[ ... ]

Huh. /headscratch

... what?

Almost as coherent as words from a recent debate...

"Why should someone who's clipping coupons in the stock market may, in fact, pay a lower tax rate than someone who in fact is, like I said, a schoolteacher and a fireman? It's ridiculous," Biden said."

In the case of Appleinsider, maybe it is time to shelve the "Editorials" for a little bit.
    Clipping coupons in the stock market is a reference to interest on investment-grade bonds, it wasn't a gaffe or senior moment as most people seem to think.

https://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/coupon+clipping
    jcs2305StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 47
    You're forgetting that Samsung bought, and then sadly killed off, the really excellent Boxee platform! I'm surprised they didn't do anything with it yet.
    I didn’t realize that Samsung had bought Boxee. I loved that platform and had hacked my first-gen Apple TV to run it. Logitech released the bizarre-looking Boxee Box and the platform went downhill pretty quickly after that.

*opps - apparently it was D-Link that released the Boxee Box
    edited October 2019 robotstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    This editorial is definitely not your best effort William.  Doesn't seem like a Gallagher piece.  It reads like a DED editorial except it's way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay too short to be from DED.  It's nothing more than tropes strung together to support a tenuous narrative. 
    Apart from ATV+ you can't think of anything Samsung hasn't copied from Apple? 
    If true, you aren't thinking very hard.  They absolutely copied Apple on early iPhones and iPads.  Watch? Nope.  AirPods? Nope.  Modern phones and iPads? Nope.  To base your editorial on Samsung's reliance on past copying is about as relevant as someone writing an editorial in 2019 based on Antennae-gate iPhone 4.
    Apple may no longer quote iPhone sales figures, and Samsung always optimistically reports numbers of phones made rather than actually sold. 
    You gotta source for that little nugget?  Afaik, Samsung never reported their numbers and both companies record their sales in almost the exact same way.  Shipped.

I seriously doubt Samsung would introduce a streaming service.  They have no reason to do so.  You're right that they have the same large audience that Apple does.  Though they don't have the same need for services that Apple does.  Samsung is a conglomerate with multiple parts.  They rely on different parts at different times to support the whole.  Sometimes phones floats the boat.  Sometimes it chips.  Sometimes it's the S. Korean government easing punishment on Samsung execs.  :D Besides, Samsung is terrible at services and their management seems to know it.  They're a better facilitator. Get all those services on their TV's seems to be a more rational goal for Samsung.

It would be really surprising if Samsung debuted a streaming service.  On the outside chance they did, I'd bet it would be a local streaming service where they wouldn't be bidding against established players for expensive content.

Bruh. Sam absolutely copied Apple on tablets (the same as the phones) and the watch. Samsung knee Apple was developing the watch for years. They barely beat Apple to the market with on ok product. Then Apple released theirs and Samsung altered time fit the Apple model. 

Music? Check. 

Wireless earphones? Check. You really need to do some research. 

Samsung uses Apple as their R&D dept. it’s dark comedy. 

Samsung tried to do something on their own with the Fold. It sucks. 

I doubt they keep pushing it. Probably go the Microsoft route in the future. 

Samsung makes some of the best TVs and some nice washers, dryers, and refrigerators. 

All of their CE devices are straight up ripoffs of Apple. In fact, they full on shamlelessly apes the look and software experience until they were found guilty. 

They don’t even have their own roadmap. It’s based on apples. Their game is to learn what Apple is doing, and try to get to market doing the same thing but get their first. Corporate espionage is not new for them. Straight up plagiarism is not new. 

And the times they didn’t know enough of what Apple was doing, so their product stank, they just waited for Apple to reveal their hand and then came out with an update or new revision. 

Samsung is a copy machine. It’s just how it is. 

StrangeDaysfastasleepAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    RadMax said:
    I give Apple TV+ a year.  It will go the way of the Newton, Ping, and the iPod Hifi speaker.  Samsung won't touch this.
    Except they've already renewed (at least) 4 shows for season 2, plus everyone who buys a new Apple product gets 1 year free of the service, so your prediction is pure silliness, but stay negative anyway.
    edited October 2019 lolliverpscooter63AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 47
    As Napoleon once said:

"Don't interrupt the enemy when they are in the process of making a mistake."
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 47
    This editorial is definitely not your best effort William.  Doesn't seem like a Gallagher piece.  It reads like a DED editorial except it's way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay too short to be from DED.  It's nothing more than tropes strung together to support a tenuous narrative. 
    If true, you aren't thinking very hard.  They absolutely copied Apple on early iPhones and iPads.  Watch? Nope.  AirPods? Nope.  Modern phones and iPads? Nope.  To base your editorial on Samsung's reliance on past copying is about as relevant as someone writing an editorial in 2019 based on Antennae-gate iPhone 4.
    Apple may no longer quote iPhone sales figures, and Samsung always optimistically reports numbers of phones made rather than actually sold. 
    You gotta source for that little nugget?  Afaik, Samsung never reported their numbers and both companies record their sales in almost the exact same way.  Shipped.

I seriously doubt Samsung would introduce a streaming service.  They have no reason to do so.  You're right that they have the same large audience that Apple does.  Though they don't have the same need for services that Apple does.  Samsung is a conglomerate with multiple parts.  They rely on different parts at different times to support the whole.  Sometimes phones floats the boat.  Sometimes it chips.  Sometimes it's the S. Korean government easing punishment on Samsung execs.  :D Besides, Samsung is terrible at services and their management seems to know it.  They're a better facilitator. Get all those services on their TV's seems to be a more rational goal for Samsung.

It would be really surprising if Samsung debuted a streaming service.  On the outside chance they did, I'd bet it would be a local streaming service where they wouldn't be bidding against established players for expensive content.

Bruh. Sam absolutely copied Apple on tablets (the same as the phones) and the watch. Samsung knee Apple was developing the watch for years. They barely beat Apple to the market with on ok product. Then Apple released theirs and Samsung altered time fit the Apple model. 

Music? Check. 

Samsung makes some of the best TVs and some nice washers, dryers, and refrigerators. 

All of their CE devices are straight up ripoffs of Apple. In fact, they full on shamlelessly apes the look and software experience until they were found guilty. 

They don’t even have their own roadmap. It’s based on apples. Their game is to learn what Apple is doing, and try to get to market doing the same thing but get their first. Corporate espionage is not new for them. Straight up plagiarism is not new. 

And the times they didn’t know enough of what Apple was doing, so their product stank, they just waited for Apple to reveal their hand and then came out with an update or new revision. 

I need to do some research?  Tee hee.  Pots and kettles come to mind.  Bud, history backs my claims.  There's nothing I claimed that can't be backed with actual facts.  You on the other hand?  I seriously doubt you could produce a single fact to support your assertions about the watch and headphones.  Let me save you some time.  There are no facts that support your assertions.  By the time the Apple watch was released in 2015, Samsung was already on their 4th watch model.  The Gear Icon X (now Galaxy Buds) were released before the AirPods and have had the same design language throughout.  Never remotely resembled AirPods.  

Like I said, the copied Apple design language early on.  The last Galaxy phone to even partially look like an iPhone was the S2 (it really didn't look like an iPhone, there was UI copying).  To be fair, every tablet is going to resemble the iPad since the general shape of tablets has never changed.  But even in AI comparison of the iPad Pro and Tab 6, you can see the difference between the two designs - front and back.
    williamlondongatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Samsung don't really have the background or influence to make this happen in a competitive fashion. For that matter, neither does Google.

Apple are choosing their new fields because they are leveraging areas where they are uniquely positioned to deliver. Others such as Samsung are uniquely positioned to deliver other things, but making electronics (and copying every other brand out there) does not uniquely position a company to be a media company, nor a media distribution company. (Remember Samsung have already given up on being a music distributor.)
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 47
    I wouldn’t be surprised if, one of these days, Samsung buys Roku. Like they did Harmon Kardon (which was an incredible lost opportunity for Apple, at multiple levels). 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I wouldn’t be surprised if, one of these days, Samsung buys Roku. Like they did Harmon Kardon (which was an incredible lost opportunity for Apple, at multiple levels). 
    Many of our members are probably unaware of just what Samsung's Harmon buy got them:
    -JBL
    -Infinity
    -AKG
    -Mark Levinson
    -Revel
    -Digitech
    -JBL Professional

and several more niche lines. 
    mobirdfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Because Appletv+ was an original idea...... I’m sure Apple didn’t copy that.........
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    BittySon said:
    Safe?  Samsung is the best thing that ever happened to Apple.  They offer a dramatic comparison, soak up all the losses and provide a huge base of future Apple customers.
    I like the optimism here.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    You're forgetting that Samsung bought, and then sadly killed off, the really excellent Boxee platform! I'm surprised they didn't do anything with it yet.
    I suspect the problem is that Android users, for the most part, are at the bottom end of the consumer market in so many ways so what works for Apple with its user base doesn't always translate to other user bases.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47
    MacPro said:
    I suspect the problem is that Android users, for the most part, are at the bottom end of the consumer market in so many ways so what works for Apple with its user base doesn't always translate to other user bases.
    It's not a character trait, more a result of their financial position. Well-off people tend to buy more expensive stuff. 
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 47

Music? Check. 

I need to do some research?  Tee hee.  Pots and kettles come to mind.  Bud, history backs my claims.  There's nothing I claimed that can't be backed with actual facts.  You on the other hand?  I seriously doubt you could produce a single fact to support your assertions about the watch and headphones.  Let me save you some time.  There are no facts that support your assertions.  By the time the Apple watch was released in 2015, Samsung was already on their 4th watch model.  The Gear Icon X (now Galaxy Buds) were released before the AirPods and have had the same design language throughout.  Never remotely resembled AirPods.  

Like I said, the copied Apple design language early on.  The last Galaxy phone to even partially look like an iPhone was the S2 (it really didn't look like an iPhone, there was UI copying).  To be fair, every tablet is going to resemble the iPad since the general shape of tablets has never changed.  But even in AI comparison of the iPad Pro and Tab 6, you can see the difference between the two designs - front and back.
    The actual fact is that Apple had a wristwatch computer long before Samsung.

https://www.cultofmac.com/57492/new-ipod-nano-more-than-just-a-pretty-wristwatch/
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 47
    sacto joe said:

Music? Check. 

https://www.cultofmac.com/57492/new-ipod-nano-more-than-just-a-pretty-wristwatch/
    Oh, geez....
    Of course. Apple is always first... And they're rarely first. Both at once. Sometime and someplace they did something kinda sorta similar but not really. Gotcha.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 47
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    sacto joe said:

Music? Check. 

I think that is stretching things too far but by the same logic, does this then make for an 'armwatch computer'?

https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Belt-Armband-Compatible-classic/dp/B00GQ9HWB4

I think, apart from Samsung's first iPhone copying efforts, the term doesn't stick very well now, just like the 'iKnockoff'' label, which is also absurd with Apple literally trying to catch up with competitors.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 47
    sacto joe said:

Music? Check. 

The actual actual fact is that Samsung had a wristwatch-computer-phone/w even rudimentary voice control... more than a decade before the ipod nano.  Say hello to the Samsung SPH-WP10.  Now I don't list this as a these guys did it first flag in the sand (they didn't do it first).  That's an activity for fanboy idiots.  I list it as more evidence to back my claim that Samsung's watch efforts predate the Apple watch.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=27&v=NmKDn356Etk
    williamlondongatorguymuthuk_vanalingam