Production of Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro has supposedly begun

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    slurpy said:
    I'm buying this immediately, but I have a lot of reservations:

1. The only reason this is going to start at $2,999 or higher is because Apple is going to pull the same crap with this model as they did with the new Mac Pro and simply not offer a lower-spec model at launch. It will start with a high amount of storage and RAM (which Pro customers usually BTO anyway). Then after a year, I expect we'll see this model replace the 15" MBP with a lower-spec entry model.

2. This pisses me off because this means that after 3 years of an unusable keyboard, the first model to carry their solution to that problem will be the most expensive model. And this will be the only Apple laptop with a worthwhile keyboard for the next several months. That means every single MacBook customer will need to seriously consider (and many will bite) this very expensive model for the keyboard alone.

It just bothers me that Apple would do this, and it bothers me even more that I'm going to support this decision...because I'm in need of the biggest laptop they can offer (like, yesterday), and refuse to buy another one with the butterfly keyboard.

By "unusable" keyboard, you mean a keyboard that tens upon tens of millions of people have used without issue for the last few years, myself included? 

The trollish extremism is amazing. 
    Soli said:

1. The only reason this is going to start at $2,999 or higher is because Apple is going to pull the same crap with this model as they did with the new Mac Pro and simply not offer a lower-spec model at launch. It will start with a high amount of storage and RAM (which Pro customers usually BTO anyway). Then after a year, I expect we'll see this model replace the 15" MBP with a lower-spec entry model.

2. This pisses me off because this means that after 3 years of an unusable keyboard, the first model to carry their solution to that problem will be the most expensive model. And this will be the only Apple laptop with a worthwhile keyboard for the next several months. That means every single MacBook customer will need to seriously consider (and many will bite) this very expensive model for the keyboard alone.

It just bothers me that Apple would do this, and it bothers me even more that I'm going to support this decision...because I'm in need of the biggest laptop they can offer (like, yesterday), and refuse to buy another one with the butterfly keyboard.
    It's by far my least favorite Apple keyboard, and I've had some minor issues after debris got struck temporarily, and know people who have had been given nearly completely new Macs after a key stopped working, but to say it's "unusable" is too much hyperbole to take your issue seriously.

I'll likely be getting this MBP, especially if the keyboard is more like the old one, and I'll likely be shelling out $4k for it. I'm fine with that. If the benefit seems to be better than the expense I'll do it. That's it for me. I'm not bothered that they would put their newest stuff in their newest Mac.
    The level of delusion you'd have to achieve to say anything remotely complimentary or defensive about the butterfly keyboard is, frankly, scary.

What's delusional is to claim that something you've been using for 3 years is at the same time is incapable of being used.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    slurpy said:

By "unusable" keyboard, you mean a keyboard that tens upon tens of millions of people have used without issue for the last few years, myself included? 

Soli said:

It's by far my least favorite Apple keyboard, and I've had some minor issues after debris got struck temporarily, and know people who have had been given nearly completely new Macs after a key stopped working, but to say it's "unusable" is too much hyperbole to take your issue seriously.

I'll likely be getting this MBP, especially if the keyboard is more like the old one, and I'll likely be shelling out $4k for it. I'm fine with that. If the benefit seems to be better than the expense I'll do it. That's it for me. I'm not bothered that they would put their newest stuff in their newest Mac.
    The level of delusion you'd have to achieve to say anything remotely complimentary or defensive about the butterfly keyboard is, frankly, scary.

I love the keyboard. I'm not delusional, I actually enjoy using it. If I had to complain about anything, I wish it were a little quieter, and I actually don't care for the integrated up/down arrows, but beyond that I think it's my favorite Mac keyboard to date.
    speakingmywords
  • Reply 23 of 36
  • Reply 24 of 36
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    slurpy said:

I somehow doubt that 20 or 30 or 40 million MacBooks have been sold since 2016. Unjustified hyperbole is not necessarily the best way to respond to what you see as trollery.

In point of fact, many hundreds of thousands of people have had lots of trouble with this KB. And for argument's sake that say that that's 5% of users. Way too high a failure rate for a premium product with Apple's reputation at stake.

Meanwhile, I've typed away at on the three generations of it at least 10 or 15 times at Apple stores, and I still can't type worth a damn on it. And there may not be millions of us waiting, but there are sure as hell of a lot of us.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    slurpy said:

Soli said:

I see nothing delusional in Soli's post. He made it clear it is his least favourite keyboard, so where is the defense?

I've worked with the keyboard and have had no issues with it.

AI's own research regarding keyboard repairs shows that the new 2019 keyboards are as reliable as the pre-2015 ones.

Given your posting history, it is you who are making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Soli
  • Reply 26 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    bigpics said:

I somehow doubt that 20 or 30 or 40 million MacBooks have been sold since 2016. Unjustified hyperbole is not necessarily the best way to respond to what you see as trollery.
    Considering they sold 18-19 million Macs per year over the past three years, and a larger percentage of those are MacBooks vs desktop Macs, I think you're wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    xp17xp17 Posts: 15member
    November event?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    bigpics said:

Considering they sold 18-19 million Macs per year over the past three years, and a larger percentage of those are MacBooks vs desktop Macs, I think you're wrong.
    Not all of those had the butterfly KB until last year. To my knowledge the old MacBook Airs (and probably the new macbook Airs) have been the volume seller in Mac world for a good number of years. And I don't remember which keyboard the 13 in MacBook Pro escape had. Whichever, I'll stand by that statement.

Although I can see I need to amend it to say MacBooks with the butterfly keyboard. Which is what I meant, but I didn't really specify. So my bad.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Ripoff! No thanks Apple. Yesterday's laptop technology at tomorrow's prices! AND guaranteed to have more bugs then a bait store in it's software...
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Ripoff! No thanks Apple. Yesterday's laptop technology at tomorrow's prices! AND guaranteed to have more bugs then a bait store in it's software...
    Pretty weak first post, troll. D-
    Solichiarazorpit
  • Reply 31 of 36
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    slurpy said:

Soli said:

I love the keyboard. I'm not delusional, I actually enjoy using it. If I had to complain about anything, I wish it were a little quieter, and I actually don't care for the integrated up/down arrows, but beyond that I think it's my favorite Mac keyboard to date.
    Same here. 
    fastasleepspeakingmywords
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Apple can only justify these sky-high prices for a "Pro" laptop if they:
    1. Get rid of the TouchBar, which is useless for doing anything other than selecting emoji and return physical ESC and function keys
    2. Add a keyboard as great at the Dell Latitude or Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon.  It's not enough to simply revert to the 2012 chicklet keyboard
    3. Add a context menu key and make it work with the OS like the rest of the PC world does
  • Reply 33 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    1. Get rid of the TouchBar, which is useless for doing anything other than selecting emoji and return physical ESC and function keys
    It’s so strange that people post shit like this with (presumably) a straight face. Emoji is probably the least used function I use the Touch Bar for. Guessing you haven’t actually used one. 
    Solispeakingmywords
  • Reply 34 of 36
    It’s so strange that people post shit like this with (presumably) a straight face. Emoji is probably the least used function I use the Touch Bar for. Guessing you haven’t actually used one. 
    I have a late 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro with a TouchBar.
    1. I've explicitly enabled function keys for all of my 3rd party apps since I'm sure most if not all of them don't yet support it
    2. The volume slider is much worse than the volume up and down buttons
    3. Tabs displayed with Safari are moderately useful
    4. Some games that require function keys don't respect my settings to enable the function keys for that app
    5. Lack of physical function keys is problematic for 3rd party apps like IntelliJ that require them
    6. Lack of tactile feedback for function keys is a problem for me
    7. I've mapped CapsLock to ESC and I'm happy that Apple has given us this option
    8. It's possible there are first party apps that make good use of the TouchBar and I simply don't notice or use. them sufficiently.   If this is the case, I'm willing to compromise and say that Apple should make the TouchBar optional instead of required for the 15 inch MacBook Pro.
    speakingmywords
  • Reply 35 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1. I've explicitly enabled function keys for all of my 3rd party apps since I'm sure most if not all of them don't yet support it
    4. Some games that require function keys don't respect my settings to enable the function keys for that app
    5. Lack of physical function keys is problematic for 3rd party apps like IntelliJ that require them
    7. I've mapped CapsLock to ESC and I'm happy that Apple has given us this option
    8. It's possible there are first party apps that make good use of the TouchBar and I simply don't notice or use. them sufficiently.   If this is the case, I'm willing to compromise and say that Apple should make the TouchBar optional instead of required for the 15 inch MacBook Pro.
    Why not just show the Fn keys when that app is forward?
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Soli said:
    Why would you enable Fn keys for the Touch Bar when you're aware that your apps doesn't suppose Fn keys? No wonder you don't find the Touch Bar useful. 
    You misunderstood me.  I leave the TouchBar enabled with custom controls for all first party apps (sliders, tab list, etc).   Apple first party apps for the most part don't define keyboard shortcuts that require function keys, so there's no point.   I've explicitly added Firefox and other 3rd party apps to the list of apps that will display function keys instead of touchbar keys since I want to F5 to refresh page, etc.  System Preferences > Keyboard  > Shortcuts > Function Keys.