Verizon giving one year of Disney+ free to new and existing customers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Starting November 12, Verizon will give 12 months of Disney's new video streaming service to new and existing customers on eligible plans.

Verizon offers one year of Disney+ to new and existing customers

Verizon and Disney's Direct-to-Consumer department have announced a wide-ranging agreement that will give new and existing wireless unlimited, Fios Home Internet, and 5G Home Internet customers a free year of Disney+.

The service is set to launch on November 12 and will give consumers access to the media conglomerate's vast catalogue of video content. Disney+ will launch with 25 original series and ten new films its first year.

Disney's push into streaming arrives as other major players and newcomers enter the lucrative market. AT&T's WarnerMedia is planning a late-2019 launch of its effort, which hosts content from HBO, Turner, and Warner Bros. Apple, which has for years hosted third-party streaming services on its Apple TV set-top box, is set to launch Apple TV+ on November 1.

Those interested in learning more about Verizon's promotional deal with Disney should head over to Verizon's site to check their eligibility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Well, that looks like we can get this, but I won't trust the reality until November 12th. The link to "check your eligibility" is just a form to collect your email for "news."
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Whoooo hooooo. Verizon is going all out.....Ill bet they recover the $70 one way or another!?!?!?!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Oddly, it appears that if you take them up on this after a year you'll be billed thereafter for Disney+ through Verizon (rather than from Disney directly).  I guess Disney is ok giving up a piece of the action in the interest of getting "everyone" to sign up, but long-term that seems like a strange arrangement (between the cord sellers and the cord cutters).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Actually I was planning on jumping on this anyway when it rolled out, so it's only a plus that I'll get a year free. And I like carrier billing, we used to be able to do this with lots of stuff in the past and I'm glad it's coming back. I'd much prefer all my subscriptions come out of one place, it's easier to keep track of. This is a start. I was going to sign up through my Roku.  Although I have an Apple TV app, and an iPhone and Mac, I actually plan on subscribing to Apple TV Plus through the new Apple TV channel on my Roku because I'm already billed for my Netflix, Hulu, and CBS through Roku itself.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Oddly, it appears that if you take them up on this after a year you'll be billed thereafter for Disney+ through Verizon (rather than from Disney directly).  I guess Disney is ok giving up a piece of the action in the interest of getting "everyone" to sign up, but long-term that seems like a strange arrangement (between the cord sellers and the cord cutters).
    Verizon has the network and it’s all about network. Guess Disney's banking on after a year many will stay on whatever payment arrangement is made. I might only get it for MCU and Star Wars. Not a Verizon subscriber so no freebie for one year for me. Will get a year free with Apple though. Yay?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Is this available on AppleTV outside of US?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The arrangement really isn't strange at all.  Disney is most definitely not a cord cutter.  Probably won't ever be.  At least as long as the cord is viable... and the cord is still very viable.  They (Disney and their properties) are still prominently featured on every cable and satellite TV service. Disney simply realizes streaming is another source of revenue. They want the customer dollar regardless of the revenue stream (intended pun).  They also may not care about Verizon getting a cut of the billing because the acquisition costs of those customers is most likely less than the costs associated with getting a customer through organic marketing campaigns.
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingamrandominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 8
    On the one hand I can kinda see Verizon is thinking, "Great we'll get a small cut of Disney+ Revenue in the future" but wow it's like giving people something to encourage them to cord cut. This'll be pretty huge for Disney's initial numbers.