Editorial: Why the Apple A13 Bionic blows past Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    wizard69 said:
    I guess there's still hope for an A12X Apple TV to show up this year? The combination of that SoC with Metal 2 on the big screen would be pretty crazy.
    That would be nice!   I’m actually looking to buy an AppleTV close to the year end.   Even better would be an A13X.😜   The idea of course is that you have everything on board to support the latest software features. 

By the way I must point out that this article is screwed as far as accuracy goes.   Metal and Vulkan are ver similar and derived from the same basic infrastructure.   As such Vulkan is as good or even better than Metal in the role it fills.    That is just one problem with this DED article that needs to be pointed out, too many take these articles book, line and sinker.   
    Vulcan is behind Metal 2. I also don’t see it as being as capable as Metal is in the long run, as Apple can, and has been evolving both the software and hardware concurrently to complement both. That can’t be done with Vulcan which needs to run in different hardware from different producers,
    MacQcAppleExposedMisterKitmagman1979chiatmayp-dognetmagemacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 76
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

I replaced it with a 64 GB iPhone 11; the cheapest new iPhone in the lowest capacity. While I like the device and Face ID is ridiculously face and seamless, I'm not overwhelmed by it like I was with other iPhones. My usage is still very MacBook Proheavy and I when I'm very mobile the Apple Watch is my go to device.
    Not being overwhelmed is more of a personal problem for you instead of Apple’s. I mean after years and years it keeps taking more and more to be overwhelmed and not disappointed. That applies to everything, not just iPhones.
    QUite the opposite - it’s not a problem at all for Soli. It sounds like he’s happy with is 2nd tier iPhone 11. It becomes Apple’s problem when everyone is like him and sees no reason to pay top dollar for the top of the line, instead getting the Xr because it’s $300 cheaper and works just as well for them.
    Solimuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    Still, the slowing in growth at the upper end is a concern. If the majority of people don’t need the power of the new chips for their uses, it’s going to be hard to push the development. Smartphones are experiencing a plateauing the same way desktops did. We’ll see how all this shakes out.
    I'm one of those people. Not only did I typically buy the highest end iPhone with the largest capacity, I also bought one every year. Then I got a 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus and held onto it until last month.

I replaced it with a 64 GB iPhone 11; the cheapest new iPhone in the lowest capacity. While I like the device and Face ID is ridiculously face and seamless, I'm not overwhelmed by it like I was with other iPhones. My usage is still very MacBook Proheavy and I when I'm very mobile the Apple Watch is my go to device.
    Interesting to read.  I was exactly like you, always getting the latest model every year then I stuck with the 7 Plus and still have it.  In fact, I lost my first one recently and bought a used 7 Plus (it's just like new) with far more storage after reading every review and feeling no need for a 10 or 11.  I'm just not convinced I need a new iPhone yet.  I don't use the iPhone for photography so that is probably one reason I am content I suppose.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    Years ago I had this piece of SW installed on a desktop that would download a chunk of data, process it, and upload the answer.  I think it was for S.E.T.I or something.  Distributed (donated) computing.

Thinking of the A13, and Apple's advances into medical with Apple Watch:  Perhaps pretty soon we'll be able to donate some of the IMMENSE computational computing to protein-modelling or some other amazing medical-research (Billions of $ worth of computing power......free), and cure cancer or other such wonder....

Really really cool.

E.
    Quantum computing will eliminate the need for distributed processing. Just saying.
    Nope. It’s for very different kinds of problem solving.
    And problem making, depending on your point of view ;-)

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/article/us-china-tech-war-and-the-us-intelligence-community/
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 76
    that was lame.

i came expecting a technical article about processor design, maybe a detail on the incredible power management abilities, differences in neural architecture and other factors like sensors, security, encryption, codecs in hardware.,,
  • Reply 26 of 76
    that was lame.

i came expecting a technical article about processor design, maybe a detail on the incredible power management abilities, differences in neural architecture and other factors like sensors, security, encryption, codecs in hardware.,,
    I see from your forum posts count that you are not new here. Yet you saw the article is marked as EDITORIAL, was written by DED and still you were expecting a factual comparison on tech specs...?
    muthuk_vanalingamIreneWnetmagecy_starkmanPickUrPoison
  • Reply 27 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    Still, the slowing in growth at the upper end is a concern. If the majority of people don’t need the power of the new chips for their uses, it’s going to be hard to push the development. Smartphones are experiencing a plateauing the same way desktops did. We’ll see how all this shakes out.
    I'm one of those people. Not only did I typically buy the highest end iPhone with the largest capacity, I also bought one every year. Then I got a 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus and held onto it until last month.

Interesting to read.  I was exactly like you, always getting the latest model every year then I stuck with the 7 Plus and still have it.  In fact, I lost my first one recently and bought a used 7 Plus (it's just like new) with far more storage after reading every review and feeling no need for a 10 or 11.  I'm just not convinced I need a new iPhone yet.  I don't use the iPhone for photography so that is probably one reason I am content I suppose.
    Yeah, I don't take a lot of photos. I do like the new low-light option but my use case for that feature is pretty nil. I tried to trade-in my iPhone 7 Plus to Apple but they returned it to me after I choose not to accept their $0 offer for them to keep it. It works perfectly except for a crack on the sapphire crystal covering the lenses. This doesn't even affect photos unless you catch the light in a certain way which will cause one of the cameras (not sure which one) to create a JJ Abrams-esque lens flare. I guess I now have a back up iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 76
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:

I have the same 7+ model, but I'll be going for an 11 pro --- I would hate to give up the telephoto camera. I'm actually pretty excited for the upgrade, primarily because of all the computational photography improvements and also the battery life. The idea of getting the same size screen in a physically smaller device is also appealing. I'm curious to see if I can perceive the big CPU speed increases since the A10... my 7+ still feels plenty fast to me, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by speed improvements... I kind of suspect the power of the A13 is being wasted in a phone, and that it would really shine in a Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 76
    "Yet Apple isn't shifting its iPhone prices dramatically lower to maintain its volumes; Samsung is." 
    Haven't you heard of iPhone SE and iPhone XR (11)?
    Hence the “...isn’t shifting its iPhone prices dramatically lower...”
    watto_cobraPickUrPoison
  • Reply 30 of 76
    “It’s an octa-core processor, and it has the first and fastest ever Kyro CPU at 32GHz.”
     Aside from the extremely ambiguous wording, that particular line stood out to me. If it’s the first Kyro CPU at 32GHz, then wouldn’t that alone make it the fastest ever, since there hasn’t been any other before it? LOL  :D
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 76
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:

Not being overwhelmed is more of a personal problem for you instead of Apple’s. I mean after years and years it keeps taking more and more to be overwhelmed and not disappointed. That applies to everything, not just iPhones.
    QUite the opposite - it’s not a problem at all for Soli. It sounds like he’s happy with is 2nd tier iPhone 11. It becomes Apple’s problem when everyone is like him and sees no reason to pay top dollar for the top of the line, instead getting the Xr because it’s $300 cheaper and works just as well for them.
    If everyone like him decides they’re just buy the lower-priced iPhone, that still isn’t bad news for Apple. Think about what you’re saying. 
    edited October 2019 netmage
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Years ago I had this piece of SW installed on a desktop that would download a chunk of data, process it, and upload the answer.  I think it was for S.E.T.I or something.  Distributed (donated) computing.

Thinking of the A13, and Apple's advances into medical with Apple Watch:  Perhaps pretty soon we'll be able to donate some of the IMMENSE computational computing to protein-modelling or some other amazing medical-research (Billions of $ worth of computing power......free), and cure cancer or other such wonder....

Really really cool.

E.
    You can already do that on the Mac, Folding@Home seeks to "find cures for diseases like cancer, ALS, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, Influenza and many others."

https://foldingathome.org

or using BOINC, which is the distributed computing platform that  SETI@home currently runs on, you can select other projects such as "investigate diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research"

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/index.php

Not sure you want to suck up your battery life on a mobile platform doing this though, but obviously on a desktop it works.

I did SETI@home back in the day too, running as a screen saver. :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76

wizard69 said:
    It just became foolish to spend $100’s of dollars a month on something I was seldom home to make use of.  An AT&T cell plan is actually cheaper.  More importantly the cell phone is with me 24/7 and always accessible.  
    Spending hundreds of dollars on an internet connection is indeed foolish. I pay $65 for gig fiber. I realize that's not available everywhere, but hundreds? 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 76

frantisek said:

Really really cool.

E.
    Do not be fooled by anyone. No technology can make us happier and our lives better and no technology will help us cure cancer. 
    Not with that attitude.
    netmagerazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 76
    frantisek said:

Really really cool.

E.
    Do not be fooled by anyone. No technology can make us happier and our lives better and no technology will help us cure cancer.
    Sure it can, and does. You're foolish to not understand what technology has brought you.
    chiaradarthekatfastasleepnetmagerazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 76
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Soli said:
    frantisek said:

Really really cool.

E.
    Sure it can, and does. You're foolish to not understand what technology has brought you.
    And you don’t appear to understand happiness. (I don’t intend this as an attack or insult, more as a philosophical comment on happiness)
  • Reply 37 of 76
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    frantisek said:

Really really cool.

E.
    And you don’t appear to understand happiness. (I don’t intend this as an attack or insult, more as a philosophical comment on happiness)
    Can you explain to me how your life isn’t better and easier with technology?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 76
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    219AD: The word 'technology' does not exist, instead people found happiness in a simple thing like warm food after a long day.

2019AD: People wonder why they can't be happy without technology.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 39 of 76
    kevin kee said:
    219AD: The word 'technology' does not exist, instead people found happiness in a simple thing like warm food after a long day.

2019AD: People wonder why they can't be happy without technology.
    A word not existing doesn't mean that the thing didn't exist. There are countless types of technologies in play just within your comment of "warm food." From animal husbandry, to agriculture, to tools and equipment used to get "food" and of course cooking food to make it "warm." Then you have shelter and clothing, and then all the technologies used within societal structures 1800 years ago that allow man to stay relatively safe and engaged thereby allowing happiness.
    edited October 2019 chiatmayfastasleepnetmagerazorpit
  • Reply 40 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    blastdoor said:
    Apple's silicon design team is truly amazing -- they are second to none. Maybe tied with Intel for first. 
    Na. They've been wiping the floor with intel, as far as annual improvement goes. 
    netmagewatto_cobra