Apple's iPhone 11 Pro used to film Selena Gomez music video 'Lose You To Love Me'

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Pop star Selena Gomez on Wednesday debuted "Lose You To Love Me" on a variety of streaming services including Apple Music, with the new song seeing release alongside an accompanying music video shot entirely on iPhone 11 Pro.

Selena Gomez

"Lose You To Love Me" is the first single off a hotly anticipated follow up to Gomez's 2015 album Revival, and marks yet another Apple collaboration with a chart-topping artist.

According to Billboard, the music video was shot by veteran director Sophie Muller, who previously worked with Gomez on 2015's "Good For You."

Following a tone struck by the ballad's melancholy-yet-poppy styling, the short quite literally throws a spotlight on Gomez as she sits alone, unraveling a highly personal tale of love, loss and, ultimately, acceptance. As noted by Elle, "Lose You to Love Me" is in part a reflection of the singer's public breakup with Justin Bieber in 2018.

Gomez offered a bit of backstory in a comment posted to Vevo.

"This song was inspired by many things that have happened in my life since releasing my last album," Gomez said. "I want people to feel hope and to know you will come out the other side stronger and a better version of yourself."

Apple posted a clip of the music video to its main YouTube page at midnight, framing it as a member of the company's "Shot on iPhone" campaign. Gomez promoted the release in a tweet containing the #ShotOniPhone hashtag.

Apple's "Shot on iPhone" ads are typically bespoke, artistic shorts, though the company has collaborated with musical acts in the past. In July, for example, the tech giant released a "Shot on iPhone On Tour" series with concert footage of artists FKA Twigs, Florence and the Machine, and Kamali Washington as captured by iPhone XS. Today's video is the first to feature the current-generation iPhone 11 Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Is it me, or is there no link to the video?

EDIT: Video now embedded. Maybe I was too quick on the trigger.  :D
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 2 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

Nice effort, but poor video. It's just a stream of shots of her face fading in and out. I'm not a fan of meaningless music videos. The video should help tell the story. Amiright?
    radarthekatlkruppcaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 12

Nice effort, but poor video. It's just a stream of shots of her face fading in and out. I'm not a fan of meaningless music videos. The video should help tell the story. Amiright?

Everyone with an iPhone thinks themselves a George Lucas.  
    macseekerbigtdslarz2112lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Boring video 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 12
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    I'm not sure this will help iPhone sales. How bad are all these crossfades? 
    hucom2000lkrupplarz2112caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 12
    This is BAD. Why would Apple use this to promote? Don't understand.
    lkruppbigtdsravnorodomlarz2112
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    hucom2000 said:
    This is BAD. Why would Apple use this to promote? Don't understand.

"Yeah, well, you know, that’s just  like, ah, your opinion man. “   the Dude
    edited October 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I'd like to see the iPhone setup for shooting this, though.  Sure it is shot on an iPhone, but I always get a kick out of all the additional gadgets bolted to the iphone to make it actually have a super stable image, extra lighting, etc.  

Not taking anything from the iPhone, but making it more realistic as to why the random spare chick on the beach trying to be the next James Cameron isn't getting the results she wants.  
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Far more impressive was the feature-length movie “Unsane” shot on iPhones by Steven Soderbergh.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Is she supposed to be swinging on a swing? That's the feeling I got from the excessive use of zooming and crossfading.  I guess the take away from this "Shit on iPhone" video, (LOL, that was actually an honest typo) "Shot on iPhone" video is that the iPhone 11 Pro can make anyone feel like they are being creative no matter how much actual talent and creativity they actually possess.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 11 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Guys it's great marketing and I'm willing to bet the directors were gonna use the new iPhones anyway and let Apple know about it to help finance the project.

You may hate the video but a few Selena Gomez fans and amateur video producers are buying a new iPhone 11 because of this.
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I’m cursed with autotune-detecting hearing, so I couldn’t listen for very long. Bieber was a poor influence on her (or she on him, I dunno).