iPhone 11 sales continue to cut down Android's market share globally

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
Apple has increased its presence in the five most important European markets against Android, a study of smartphone OS data reveals, with the international use of iOS rising on the strength of the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro.

Apple iPhone 11 and Samsung Galaxy S10e
Apple iPhone 11 and Samsung Galaxy S10e


In the latest Kantar smartphone OS data study for the third quarter of 2019, iOS appears on 18.9% of all smartphone sales across France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, and Spain, a 2% increase year-on-year. At the same time, Android's market share across the five markets fell 1.5% to 80.9% of the total, while other operating system usage contracted from a 0.7% share to 0.2%.

On a country-specific basis, the biggest percentage change was observed in Italy, with iPhone gaining 3.6% of the market over its proportion from the third quarter in 2018. The lowest rise was in Great Britain, with iOS rising 1.5%, but that market also had the highest existing penetration of iPhones, with iOS having a 34% total share over Android's 65.7%.

Apple's main smartphone rival Samsung saw gains in the five EU markets, enjoying a 5.9% year-on-year rise to 38.4% of the market for Q3 2019, and its highest European share since Q3 2015. This has been driven by sales of its A-series devices, which are said to take up five of the top ten best-selling models in the region.

Kantar's data relates to the number of devices sold, without taking into account the cost per unit nor the overall revenue. In effect, one sale of an iPhone 11 Pro Max is worth the same as a cheaper Samsung A-series device, despite the massive price disparity.

Kantar's smartphone OS sales share data
Kantar's smartphone OS sales share data


The quarter's measurement included just a week of sales of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, advised Kantar global director Dominic Sunnebo, but they still contributed 7.4% of overall iPhone unit sales in the quarter, up from 6.6% observed for the 2018 models. Of the current models, the iPhone 11 is deemed to be in the lead in "absolute terms," but the Pro range are not far behind.

"In the US the model split of sales for the new iPhones is similar to the EU, though the overall contribution to Apple's total iPhone sales in the quarter is notably larger at 10.2%," said Sunnebo.

In the United States, the proportion of sales of iPhones over Android is slightly changing in the latter's favor according to the data. The proportion of iOS device sales shrank from 38.1% in Q3 2018 to 36.1% in Q3 2019, a year-on-year decline of 2%, while Android gained 1.8% from 61.8% last year to 63.6% this year.

It is a similar story in China, with the iOS sales proportion down 1.3% to 17.6% of all sales in the country, while Android is up 1.6% to 82.4%.

"The pendulum continues to swing towards homegrown Chinese brands," Kantar advises, "who accounted for 79.3% of sales in the Chinese market. Huawei and Honor combined made up 46.8% sales share, maintaining its dominant position from the previous quarter, helping to cushion the impact from the US-China trade spat."

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    kuraitmayedredlolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    imatimat Posts: 197member
    Interesting breakdown. It shows that, where the average income is lower, the share of iOS is too, but also climbing. It seems that, at lower price points, the untapped potential is still there. Not that Apple has to profit, but lowering the iPhone 11 price might have helped, especially in markets where the average income is, as said, lower.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    “Apple isn’t trying to sell more phones than Android”... true that’s not the goal, maximizing profits is.  But, Apple has improved their price points to sell more phones, to sell more services.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,628member
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    “Apple isn’t trying to sell more phones than Android”... true that’s not the goal, maximizing profits is.  But, Apple has improved their price points to sell more phones, to sell more services.  
    Even more interesting is the continued growth in developer output. The old pattern doesn’t seem to be repeating itself. In the desktop era developers tended to prioritize the Windows operating system in their business models. The more Windows machines out there meant more income from developing for it instead of Mac OS. Mac users were often left out completely or had to wait months for the release of the Mac version. Critics here like to point out the small worldwide market share of iOS devices but developers apparently don’t care and development for iOS seems to be more profitable for them.
    radarthekattmayAppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I would take this data with a big grain of salt. Everything I heard showing that the iPhone 11 is doing much better than last year iPhone in China, and I would assume for the US as well from everything I see. 
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,402moderator
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    “Apple isn’t trying to sell more phones than Android”... true that’s not the goal, maximizing profits is.  But, Apple has improved their price points to sell more phones, to sell more services.  
    I think if you asked Apple what their goal is they might honestly reply, “to be the most relevant platform for the future.”  That extends to each of Apple’s many platforms in their respective markets.  Apple Pay, HealthKit, Apple Music, iOS, MacOS, Metal, Swift, ARKit, TVOS, the list goes on.  Relevancy of each may be measured by different metrics, and most profitable might not even make the list of metrics for some of those.  Apple isn’t a typical business, for those who haven’t noticed that yet.  
    edited October 2019 beeble42RonnnieOnetmageAppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    But with the ban of Huawei by US government forbidding Google to let Huawei use Google apps, Apple is able to take market share from Huawei. This is what this article is missing. It did not mention market share of Huawei, the second largest Android phone manufacturer. 
    DAalseth
  • Reply 8 of 19
    croprcropr Posts: 1,053member
    imat said:
    Interesting breakdown. It shows that, where the average income is lower, the share of iOS is too, but also climbing. It seems that, at lower price points, the untapped potential is still there. Not that Apple has to profit, but lowering the iPhone 11 price might have helped, especially in markets where the average income is, as said, lower.
    The average income  in France and certainly in Germany is higher than in the UK, and yet the iOS market share is lower. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 19
    croprcropr Posts: 1,053member
    lkrupp said:
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    “Apple isn’t trying to sell more phones than Android”... true that’s not the goal, maximizing profits is.  But, Apple has improved their price points to sell more phones, to sell more services.  
    Even more interesting is the continued growth in developer output. The old pattern doesn’t seem to be repeating itself. In the desktop era developers tended to prioritize the Windows operating system in their business models. The more Windows machines out there meant more income from developing for it instead of Mac OS. Mac users were often left out completely or had to wait months for the release of the Mac version. Critics here like to point out the small worldwide market share of iOS devices but developers apparently don’t care and development for iOS seems to be more profitable for them.
    As a developer that apps that are always available for both platforms, I have a different view.   My revenue split is about 60% - 40% in favor of Android, my profit split is about 75% - 25% in favor of Android (because I can get around the 30% cut in most cases).  I also develop apps on request of large customers, and since 2015 I never had to develop an iOS only app, while I did make 2 Android only apps.  I do have to say I live in country with a iOS market share of about 25%.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Has anyone noticed 10% jump in Japan?
    AppleExposedCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,497member
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    “Apple isn’t trying to sell more phones than Android”... true that’s not the goal, maximizing profits is.  But, Apple has improved their price points to sell more phones, to sell more services.  
    Even more interesting is the continued growth in developer output. The old pattern doesn’t seem to be repeating itself. In the desktop era developers tended to prioritize the Windows operating system in their business models. The more Windows machines out there meant more income from developing for it instead of Mac OS. Mac users were often left out completely or had to wait months for the release of the Mac version. Critics here like to point out the small worldwide market share of iOS devices but developers apparently don’t care and development for iOS seems to be more profitable for them.
    As a developer that apps that are always available for both platforms, I have a different view.   My revenue split is about 60% - 40% in favor of Android, my profit split is about 75% - 25% in favor of Android (because I can get around the 30% cut in most cases).  I also develop apps on request of large customers, and since 2015 I never had to develop an iOS only app, while I did make 2 Android only apps.  I do have to say I live in country with a iOS market share of about 25%.
    You are making an argument for abandoning iOS development. Happy to note that for you, and the sooner the better I would think.


    lkrupplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    croprcropr Posts: 1,053member
    tmay said:
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    “Apple isn’t trying to sell more phones than Android”... true that’s not the goal, maximizing profits is.  But, Apple has improved their price points to sell more phones, to sell more services.  
    Even more interesting is the continued growth in developer output. The old pattern doesn’t seem to be repeating itself. In the desktop era developers tended to prioritize the Windows operating system in their business models. The more Windows machines out there meant more income from developing for it instead of Mac OS. Mac users were often left out completely or had to wait months for the release of the Mac version. Critics here like to point out the small worldwide market share of iOS devices but developers apparently don’t care and development for iOS seems to be more profitable for them.
    As a developer that apps that are always available for both platforms, I have a different view.   My revenue split is about 60% - 40% in favor of Android, my profit split is about 75% - 25% in favor of Android (because I can get around the 30% cut in most cases).  I also develop apps on request of large customers, and since 2015 I never had to develop an iOS only app, while I did make 2 Android only apps.  I do have to say I live in country with a iOS market share of about 25%.
    You are making an argument for abandoning iOS development. Happy to note that for you, and the sooner the better I would think.


    No I am not, I am just saying that is not correct to assume that for all developers iOS is more profitable than Android. 

    In fact I cannot abandon the iOS ecosystem; a lot of my corporate customers only have interest in an app when it is available on both platforms.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    All of the countries that have high iOS usage rates are countries that I have always liked (USA, Japan, GB, Australia) long before iOS ever existed and most of the ones with lower iOS usage rates are countries that I'm not too crazy about (Germany, France, Spain). Coincidence?
    edited October 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.

    Do you think the extra 2% marketshare made Apple more money? Especially with all their services?

    apple ][ said:
    All of the countries that have high iOS usage rates are countries that I have always liked (USA, Japan, GB, Australia) long before iOS ever existed and most of the ones with lower iOS usage rates are countries that I'm not too crazy about (Germany, France, Spain). Coincidence?

    Countries with more educated people have higher iOS adoption. Sorry if the statistics offend you iKnockoff users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    frantisek said:
    Has anyone noticed 10% jump in Japan?

    Ah... good ole Japan. They're big on gaming and Apple Arcade may have helped that. If Apple releases an iPhone SE-sized model expect marketshare to increase further.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,300member
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    Nor does insignificantly fewer Android devices being purchased vs. a higher number of Apple devices negatively affect Google. They are happy to offer services on Galaxy's and iPhone's and Moto and LG smartphones,  and Macs, and Windows machines, and Chromebooks, and....
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 17 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,300member
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.

    Do you think the extra 2% marketshare made Apple more money? Especially with all their services?

    apple ][ said:
    All of the countries that have high iOS usage rates are countries that I have always liked (USA, Japan, GB, Australia) long before iOS ever existed and most of the ones with lower iOS usage rates are countries that I'm not too crazy about (Germany, France, Spain). Coincidence?

    Countries with more educated people have higher iOS adoption. Sorry if the statistics offend you iKnockoff users.
    Geesh...

     It's not the fact they are educated per se. It's that those who go on to higher education will generally make more money in the earning years than those who could not afford to or simply saw no reason to, with a side-helping of a greater likelihood of being exposed to Apple computing products. Buying an iPhone has zippity to do with IQ and is not evidence that you're just a smarter guy than those dumb 'ol Android users you enjoy dehumanizing. 

    Apple customers aren't generally more compassionate people than Android buyers, or have more innate intelligence than Android buyers, or care about their neighbors and treat their families better than Android buyers. They don't necessarily work harder, or contribute to society more, or just plain better people than Android buyers.  The choice to purchase an Android OS device is not the result of a character flaw. Nope. 

    It's no more difficult to understand than following the money.


    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 18 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,291member
    It's interesting to note that in Australia, iOS gain 4% means Android loss 4%. No longer a particular OS gain taken from non smartphone pie. Everyone has smartphone nowadays which is either iOS or Android. With Android market share is bigger to begin with, this positive iOS gain and negative Android loss is going to repeat a lot in the future.

    Another thing is 4% iOS gain does not equal to 4% Android loss so where do all the rest of Android loss go to? 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    tzeshan said:
    pnaddaff said:
    This comparison between iOS and Android marketshare is not relevant. Do the same chart, but for profits earned by each platform. Apple isn't trying to sell more phones than Android, they're trying to MAKE MORE MONEY.
    But with the ban of Huawei by US government forbidding Google to let Huawei use Google apps, Apple is able to take market share from Huawei. This is what this article is missing. It did not mention market share of Huawei, the second largest Android phone manufacturer. 


    Not really. Any sales that Huawei would get would be from the Samsung and other Android phone pies, not Apples.

    it is highly unlikely that an iOS user will switch to Android just because they can get a Huawei phone.

    tmaywatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.