Apple Watch saves Calgary woman from rapist

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Glocks are a little better in situations such as this, but I’m glad things worked out for her.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Macindoe was found to be in possession of a rape bag, which included a balaclava, buck knife, pliers, zip ties, condoms, lubricant, Benadryl, a ball gag, bondage straps, and pink animal-print duct tape.

What's the Benadryl for?  And the pliers for that matter?
    Torturing the victim, since the article confirmed he was stalking her.  Benadryl can make someone very sleepy, even with the suggested dosage.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Texting is not one of Apple Watch's strong suits -- if you can't talk to it (which I assume she couldn't) then you have to draw each letter which is very slow and tedious.  Thankfully she had time to put together a coherent message that got results.

Apple Watch is just amazing.  It promotes your health while protecting your safety in a thousand different ways -- which is the main reason why I got one.   But I also very much enjoy all the other cool things it does as well.
    Nothing slow and tedious fast swiping “Call 911” on Apple Watch when you’re in emergency situation. 
  • Reply 24 of 40

Macindoe was found to be in possession of a rape bag, which included a balaclava, buck knife, pliers, zip ties, condoms, lubricant, Benadryl, a ball gag, bondage straps, and pink animal-print duct tape.

Benadryl = antihistamine = sedative
    That seems like a stretch.  That might be the reason, but I would have thought there would be better knock-out drugs.

I'm curious what the Canadian justice system will do to this guy.  Truly despicable.

Edit:  Here's some info about from the Canadian justice system.  Looks like he may get up to 10 years even though he was stopped before he completed his plan.

https://www.sexassault.ca/criminalprocess.htm
    Definition of Sexual Assault in Canada's Criminal Code
    Canada's Criminal Code has no specific "rape" provision. Instead, it defines assault and provides for a specific punishment for "sexual assault". In defining "assault", the Code includes physical contact and threats. The provision reads:
    265. (1) A person commits an assault when
    (a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;
    (b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or
    (c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.
    (2) This section applies to all forms of assault, including sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon, threats to a third party or causing bodily harm and aggravated sexual assault.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Sentencing/Offences/Sexual_Assault
    Sexual assault
    271. Everyone who commits a sexual assault is guilty of
    (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years and, if the complainant is under the age of 16 years, to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of one year and a maximum punishment of 14 years detention; or
    (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 18 months and, if the complainant is under the age of 16 years, to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of 6 months and a maximum punishment of 2 years less a day.

edited October 2019 dysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 40
    matrix077 said:
    Texting is not one of Apple Watch's strong suits -- if you can't talk to it (which I assume she couldn't) then you have to draw each letter which is very slow and tedious.  Thankfully she had time to put together a coherent message that got results.

Apple Watch is just amazing.  It promotes your health while protecting your safety in a thousand different ways -- which is the main reason why I got one.   But I also very much enjoy all the other cool things it does as well.
    Nothing slow and tedious fast swiping “Call 911” on Apple Watch when you’re in emergency situation. 
    I've been wearing my Apple Watch for a couple of year now and I just tested this.  I couldn't even figure out how to initiate a text without a few false starts.  On the other hand the Emergency SOS feature is readily accessible (hold the non-crown button for a few seconds).  I think I'll go with that in an emergency.  
    pscooter63razorpitdysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 40
    matrix077 said:

I've been wearing my Apple Watch for a couple of year now and I just tested this.  I couldn't even figure out how to initiate a text without a few false starts.  On the other hand the Emergency SOS feature is readily accessible (hold the non-crown button for a few seconds).  I think I'll go with that in an emergency.  
    Didn’t know about her situation but on mine, if I tap iMessage app, my wife will be the first on recipient list. Tap that and tap Scribble and you can scribble to your heart content without making a single sound. I often scribble longer sentence than Call 911 without a problem. 
    It will be even easier if she has iMessage, or on S4 and S5 her boyfriend contact, complication on her watch face.
    edited October 2019 gregoriusmfastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 40
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    You don't always think straight in a stressful situation

It sounds like she did. I can't believe how so many people rush to display stupidity, and want to be the first to criticize the article. 'I had a problem with the headline until I paid attention'. WTF.

Then others want to create their own narrative as to what happened, and then criticize both the woman and the police when they have no actual knowledge of events? WTF again.

The story reads as though she was asleep and woke up at some point and realized some was in her home. She pretended to be asleep so as not to alert the perpetrator. She was able to see her phone was missing but she had her Watch. Can she even text 9-1-1 where she is? Does she even know that's possible? I bet a lot of people don't.

Yeah, I'd say she was thinking pretty goddam straight under the circumstances. Certainly a lot more clearly than most (but not all) posters here. I'm almost surprised some idiot didn't post that she was 'asking for it'.

She might have known, unlike some of you, that trying to text the nature of her situation, her address, and answer any questions a dispatcher might have would be time consuming, and the she would risk discovery.

GPS wouldn't save her, but her boyfriend knew her address, and would be able to answer at least a few of any questions. The police got there and the perpetrator was still in the apartment. So it sounds like their 'donut break' didn't interfere and there response time was adequate.

A shotgun. How bout that. Doesn't do a bit if good if you can't get to it before somebody gets to you.

This woman underwent a terrifying experience that could have been far worse, and that's not including the possibility of this stalker/rapist killing her. She knew who he was and would have been able to identify him.

It seems like only two or three posters bothered reading the article while others proceeded to prove you can't fix stupid.

But at least some assholes got a laugh out of this, if not able to find fault in her actions. So that's something.

robotstormStrangeDaysgregoriusmcaladaniantmayGeorgeBMacPickUrPoisonbeowulfschmidtretrogustozhiro
  • Reply 28 of 40
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    A condom?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Soli said:

In case she had cats? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Cats were the backup plan. Plan A was the pussy....
  • Reply 30 of 40

I think it makes sense to have a pre-configured emergency message ready that can be sent out with a button press, like those instant Messages responses. Probably a Siri Shortcut on the watch.

I'm just so glad the woman is safe.

edited October 2019 randominternetperson
  • Reply 31 of 40
    RobSDCRobSDC Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    If the bad guy had known that Apple Watch batteries don’t last a full day on a charge, he could have timed it so as to get away with the assault. For safety, I’d rather have a firearm than an Apple Watch. They don’t require yet another unique charging device. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    matrix077 said:

That is quick and easy, but it doesn't summon help.   It's merely a quick dial way of calling 911 -- which she couldn't do with the intruder in her house.
    zhiro
  • Reply 33 of 40
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    neilm said:
    bsimpsen said:
    The author must not know the definition of "rape kit"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_kit

The previous, deleted post called for a re-write of the headline, which I think is appropriate.

ETA: The headline of the cited CBC articles is "Apple Watch likely saved Calgary woman from man who had bag of rape tools" which correctly describes the situation.
    I was baffled by the headline too.

I'd also add that this story doesn't seem to have much to do with the Apple Watch. An iPhone or the cheapest feature phone that fell to hand would have served to send a text.
    From the linked CBC article: “ She tried to look around without moving her head and noticed her phone was gone. Anna realized she was wearing an Apple Watch and managed to text her boyfriend, who called 911”. 

So, there was no iPhone or cheap feature phone that could “fall to hand”.
    I guess reading in fundamental after all. 

• Reply 34 of 40
    RobSDC said:
    If the bad guy had known that Apple Watch batteries don’t last a full day on a charge, he could have timed it so as to get away with the assault.
    Thanks for posting the dumbest response in a thread with a lot of dumb responses.

If her Apple Watch is anything like mine then she has no difficulty going over 24 hours without requiring a recharge. 

For safety, I’d rather have a firearm than an Apple Watch. They don’t require yet another unique charging device. 
    That firearm isn't going to do you much good if your car goes off the road in an accident and there is nobody there to assist you, but the Apple Watch could be there, you know, for your safety. There are lots of scenarios where an Apple Watch is useful and a firearm is not.

I don't know Canadian laws but I know that I live in a state that does not have "Stand your ground" laws and insists that I should do all I can to leave my house before using a firearm on an intruder. Perhaps she lives in an area with similar laws. Not to mention most people don't sleep with a firearm under their pillow like James Bond.
    zhirodysamoria
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I don't know Canadian laws but I know that I live in a state that does not have "Stand your ground" laws and insists that I should do all I can to leave my house before using a firearm on an intruder. Perhaps she lives in an area with similar laws.
    Seriously?  I doubt there is a jurisdiction in the world that would charge--let along convict--a woman who used her (legally owned) handgun against a guy in this situation despite the fact (in this imaginary situation I'm constructing) she could have theoretically tried to run outside in her underwear as he advanced on her.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    razorpit said:
    Glocks are a little better in situations such as this, but I’m glad things worked out for her.
    Sure, if she takes it to the couch with her and keeps in on her or even under the pillow. Anywhere else and it's useless and just part of someone's imagined self-defense fantasy, and possibly an additional weapon in the hand's of an intruder.
    zhirodysamoria
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jd_in_sb said:
    A condom?
    Yes. He didn't want his DNA left when her body was found. Various other carriers of DNA are often overlooked, though.

RobSDC said:
    If the bad guy had known that Apple Watch batteries don’t last a full day on a charge, he could have timed it so as to get away with the assault. For safety, I’d rather have a firearm than an Apple Watch. They don’t require yet another unique charging device. 
    As noted that is the dumbest response, on so many levels. It also reveals shallow thinking that ignores the fact that had she owned a firearm, it wouldn't have done her any good unless could have accessed it. From the looks of things that wasn't an option. No doubt John Wick Rob would have put it on the second on entering his domicile, each and every time, so certainly he'd never fall prey to someone with his keycard and key, standing over him while he slept.

I don't know Canadian laws but I know that I live in a state that does not have "Stand your ground" laws and insists that I should do all I can to leave my house before using a firearm on an intruder. Perhaps she lives in an area with similar laws. Not to mention most people don't sleep with a firearm under their pillow like James Bond.
    If you were to actually consider owning a firearm, you would benefit by contacting a lawyer to explain your rights as a citizen to use a firearm. There is no state that would fundamentally make it illegal to defend your life or that of others with a firearm.

I don't want to devolve this into a firearms thread, and risk having the entire discussion pulled. They tend to get contentious and AI would certainly want to prevent that.

Suffice it to say that misinterpretations of stand your ground laws are viewed by many (including me) to result in needless deaths of innocent people. There are many aspects of owning firearms that need to be respected and followed, and too many owners are untrained and neglectful, and become complacent.

Let's not forget that in this situation, the Watch did summon help and allowed her to do so without being discovered.

The Watch didn't just help her prevent her rape but in my considered opinion, along with her presence of mind it helped saved her life. That makes me happy beyond belief. I hope she can cope with that realization.

beowulfschmidtsarthosdysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 40
    For anyone who cares, she evidently first texted her boyfriend to see if it was HIM fussing about in the dark. Then having ruled that out, she expressed panic and got him into action on her behalf. Seems to me that she handled it brilliantly. 
    macguidysamoria
  • Reply 39 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    RobSDC said:
    Nice first post, troll. D-
    Solimacgui
  • Reply 40 of 40
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    macgui said:
    You don't always think straight in a stressful situation

It sounds like she did. I can't believe how so many people rush to display stupidity, and want to be the first to criticize the article. 'I had a problem with the headline until I paid attention'. WTF.

Then others want to create their own narrative as to what happened, and then criticize both the woman and the police when they have no actual knowledge of events? WTF again.

The story reads as though she was asleep and woke up at some point and realized some was in her home. She pretended to be asleep so as not to alert the perpetrator. She was able to see her phone was missing but she had her Watch. Can she even text 9-1-1 where she is? Does she even know that's possible? I bet a lot of people don't.

Yeah, I'd say she was thinking pretty goddam straight under the circumstances. Certainly a lot more clearly than most (but not all) posters here. I'm almost surprised some idiot didn't post that she was 'asking for it'.

She might have known, unlike some of you, that trying to text the nature of her situation, her address, and answer any questions a dispatcher might have would be time consuming, and the she would risk discovery.

GPS wouldn't save her, but her boyfriend knew her address, and would be able to answer at least a few of any questions. The police got there and the perpetrator was still in the apartment. So it sounds like their 'donut break' didn't interfere and there response time was adequate.

A shotgun. How bout that. Doesn't do a bit if good if you can't get to it before somebody gets to you.

This woman underwent a terrifying experience that could have been far worse, and that's not including the possibility of this stalker/rapist killing her. She knew who he was and would have been able to identify him.

It seems like only two or three posters bothered reading the article while others proceeded to prove you can't fix stupid.

But at least some assholes got a laugh out of this, if not able to find fault in her actions. So that's something.

Best post. Thank you for being present.
    macguikudu