Apple working on ways to securely present government ID from an iPhone or Apple Car

Posted:
in General Discussion
New research from Apple details methods that iPhone or Apple Car owners could securely store their identity credentials and securely share them with governmental agencies when required.

Detail from Apple's patent applications showing how a digital ID could be provided to law enforcement
Detail from Apple's patent applications showing how a digital ID could be provided to law enforcement

Two new Apple patents together document methods for effectively replacing paper driving licenses or passports with a digital equivalent. The system would allow for many other situations where an identity must be confirmed, but the patents are concerned with the secure creation, storage and then -- significantly -- transmission to agencies such as law enforcement.

US Patent applications numbered 20190325125 and 20190327228, both titled "Identity Credential Verification Techniques," follow previous reports of Apple hoping to make iPhones central to ID security.

The two new patent applications separate out the functions of such systems into the creation or collection of a user's identity details, the later authentication of that ID, and then the user's ability to provide this detail on request.

"In today's electronically driven world, securely maintaining sensitive personal information about a user has become an important aspiration across various different industries," note both patent applications. "Having sound security procedures that collect only what information is necessary and securely communicating the information is paramount to maintaining a person's privacy rights as well as guarding against misuse of a person's personal information."

"[These patents regard], among other things, improving data security with respect to data collection, verification, and authentication techniques associated with obtaining and transmitting identity information," it continues.

The creation of an identity, it says, could be done by a government agency such as the US Department of Motor Vehicles.

"By way of example, the DMV may provision a credential that includes a person's driver's license information," it says. "In some embodiments, the credential may be digitally signed by using a private key of the DMV such that the identity credential may be verified using a public key associated with the DMV."

"Once provisioned," it continues, "a user may receive the identity credential electronically (e.g., via an application operating on the user's device). Subsequently, when the user desires to provide some portion of their identity information, the identity credential may be utilized to provide the information to another user device."

Apple's examples of providing that information include details of how law enforcement could request it at, for instance, traffic stops.

Detail from Apple's patent applications regarding the secure creation, storage and transmission of a digital ID
Detail from Apple's patent applications regarding the secure creation, storage and transmission of a digital ID

Using the driver's vehicle license plate, the officer's iPhone could request the driver's ID. Then the driver's iPhone could acknowledge the request but ask for, basically, the officer's own ID. If the driver accepts the officer's credentials, he or she could then respond via their iPhone.

"Driver's device [then] transmits at least a portion of the driver's identity credentials," notes Apple.

Already Germany and, separately, Japan have discussed plans to use iPhones to replace physical ID cards and passports. Similarly, the UK has been looking at the potential use of an iPhone app to identify EU citizens who have applied to continue living in the country after Brexit.

Recently, Apple Pay vice president Jennifer Bailey referred to how Apple sees mobile devices being used to verify identity.

"Identity, to be legal, it has to be government, it has to be authenticated by the government," she said. "We see, across the globe, many countries starting to use mobile to add a passport. You may use a mobile passport when you're going through airports today, and so it is moving and I think it will continue."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Naturally, the US will be the last to implement something like this.
    lkruppITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    macxpress said:
    Think of the hundreds of thousands of jurisdictions that would need to implement the electronic system. Even larger federal agencies would need to implement across many sites. Not happening in our lifetimes. You might see some of the larger municipalities or the federal government start very slowly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Good direction to move towards in a not-to-distance digitised world. However, security is paramount and I will not trust any Android device with such highly sensitive personal information (at least right now I do not see possibility in my lifetime).
    macseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I look forward to the day I will no longer need to carry a wallet -- no cash, no cards, no id, etc., etc., etc.,...

A good start would be expand on the Medical ID which is pretty basic in terms of information -- it doesn't even include your address or phone number.  This could be greatly expanded to include general ID information that people use in daily living as well as in emergency situations.

Further, I am thinking that if ApplePay can securely communicate and pass critical financial data without exposing personal data then an ID system could as well.

This is all very doable -- I hope Apple stays on it and resolves the hodgepodge of obstacles blocking it from happening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I look forward to the day I will no longer need to carry a wallet -- no cash, no cards, no id, etc., etc., etc.,...

A good start would be expand on the Medical ID which is pretty basic in terms of information -- it doesn't even include your address or phone number.  This could be greatly expanded to include general ID information that people use in daily living as well as in emergency situations.

Further, I am thinking that if ApplePay can securely communicate and pass critical financial data without exposing personal data then an ID system could as well.

This is all very doable -- I hope Apple stays on it and resolves the hodgepodge of obstacles blocking it from happening.
    Agree on all points. Why some of this has not been implemented yet is beyond me. Eg. Go to doctors office, scan my medical card in wallet, done. If I can pay for something or check out a al library book from my watch, why can’t law offers scan my drivers license or passport?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Agree on all points. Why some of this has not been implemented yet is beyond me. Eg. Go to doctors office, scan my medical card in wallet, done. If I can pay for something or check out a al library book from my watch, why can’t law offers scan my drivers license or passport?
    Really?! Do you want to hand you phone to a police officer at a traffic stop for him to take back to the car with him? Until something like this is widespread, where you send the officer your ID info and not hand them the phone, physical ID will live on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Never, ever volunteer to hand your phone (especially an unlocked one) to a police officer. It’s really bad advice thinking the phone won’t be tampered with if you hand it over without a court-ordered search warrant. And even then, you’re not obligated to provide a password or let anyone use your face or fingerprint to unlock.

Police are not obligated to tell you the truth and will lie about your rights to get you to do something.

This is US-only advice:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    mike1 said:
    Really?! Do you want to hand you phone to a police officer at a traffic stop for him to take back to the car with him? Until something like this is widespread, where you send the officer your ID info and not hand them the phone, physical ID will live on.
    I'd bet that part of the system would be a kiosk type mode that prevents browsing the phone, outside of presenting required documents— driver's license, registrations, and proof of insurance.

At this point I'd be happy with a Driver's Wallet mode in the phone that does the above. No need for a federal ID system. The phone would have to be 'firewalled' so that should the officer take it back to the car, not only would any 'browsing' not be possible, but so would any other downloading or hacking.

I don't keep the registration in the vehicle, but in my actual wallet. That information is often a target of auto-burglaries. Even if it's not acted upon, it's a drag to have to go to the DMV to get it replaced.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    macgui said:
    mike1 said:
    I'd bet that part of the system would be a kiosk type mode that prevents browsing the phone, outside of presenting required documents— driver's license, registrations, and proof of insurance.

At this point I'd be happy with a Driver's Wallet mode in the phone that does the above. No need for a federal ID system. The phone would have to be 'firewalled' so that should the officer take it back to the car, not only would any 'browsing' not be possible, but so would any other downloading or hacking.

I don't keep the registration in the vehicle, but in my actual wallet. That information is often a target of auto-burglaries. Even if it's not acted upon, it's a drag to have to go to the DMV to get it replaced.
    Yeh, emergency medical id has already done that.   It can be accessed without unlocking the phone.
    But, there are certainly more private ways that that could be done -- the method used by ApplePay from either the phone or the watch would be most secure and effective.

I suspect the younger crowd will grow up expecting something like that.  My grandson doesn't carry cash, keys or id with him -- but his phone is with him 24 hours a day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    The State of Louisiana already has a digital driver’s license app for iOS and Android.  It is accepted by police, and they don’t have to take your phone.  They can scan the barcode.  Your phone never leaves your hand.  It’s also accepted to get in many bars, etc.

https://lawallet.com/

Louisiana's Legal Digital Driver's License

• 100% Legal for driving purposes per Louisiana law of Act 625 of the 2016 season.

• Louisiana State Police will accept the LA Wallet Digital Driver's License!

• ATC legally approved all responsible vendors to accept LA Wallet for real-time age verification-required purchases and deliveries.

• The LA Wallet App is made for Apple iOS and Android.

• Activate it for the cost of 1 premium coffee for the life of your current physical license registration. 

• The iOS app went Live in the App Store Tuesday, June 26th, 2018! The Android version went live in the Google Play Store on July 2nd, 2018. 

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    The State of Louisiana already has a digital driver’s license app for iOS and Android.  It is accepted by police, and they don’t have to take your phone.  They can scan the barcode.  Your phone never leaves your hand.  It’s also accepted to get in many bars, etc.

• 100% Legal for driving purposes per Louisiana law of Act 625 of the 2016 season.

• ATC legally approved all responsible vendors to accept LA Wallet for real-time age verification-required purchases and deliveries.

• Activate it for the cost of 1 premium coffee for the life of your current physical license registration. 

• The iOS app went Live in the App Store Tuesday, June 26th, 2018! The Android version went live in the Google Play Store on July 2nd, 2018. 

Is your phone locked or unlocked while displaying the scannable code?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22

Now THAT is impressive!  Good Job!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    The patent is quite literally describing a system where you don’t have to hand over your phone lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22

Very cool. Do all police agencies within the state have the ability to accept the Digital License? The bullet point only mentions Louisiana State Police.
    As per my point above, as good as this is, it may not eliminate the need to carry the physical license too. Even so, it would be preferable for all the other times you need to show ID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22

Mike1 had some good questions:
    mike1 said:

Very cool. Do all police agencies within the state have the ability to accept the Digital License? The bullet point only mentions Louisiana State Police.
    As per my point above, as good as this is, it may not eliminate the need to carry the physical license too. Even so, it would be preferable for all the other times you need to show ID.

• Reply 16 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mike1 said:
    macxpress said:
    Think of the hundreds of thousands of jurisdictions that would need to implement the electronic system. Even larger federal agencies would need to implement across many sites. Not happening in our lifetimes. You might see some of the larger municipalities or the federal government start very slowly.
    And? We as a country (US) need to step into the 21st century and take the lead, not follow. None of this completely BS of were too large and split up, etc. All merchants in the US should be supporting ApplePay (or digital payments in general) by now. All banks/credit unions should be supporting this as well. There's no reason to lag behind other than laziness, even as big as we are. States and the Federal Government need to grow some balls and start enforcing this shit or pay fines or something. 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I still say one would have to be exceedingly naive to rely on such a thing. Never mix your government issued ID with a personal device.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I still say one would have to be exceedingly naive to rely on such a thing. Never mix your government issued ID with a personal device.
    I don't think you'll be happy when you get your government issued transdermal chip linked to their AI driven genetic database.  But, at least they'll stop asking you to unlock your phone or open your wallet.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I don't think you'll be happy when you get your government issued transdermal chip linked to their AI driven genetic database.  But, at least they'll stop asking you to unlock your phone or open your wallet.
    Well, you do have a sense of humor after all. Very amusing.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    You will still need hardcopy. A phone battery doesn’t last a full working day of usage, much less multiple days. Or all I need is some high-power app, like the camera, to come on while it’s in my pocket and drain the device. Plus trigger-happy, incompetent or unsuited or undertrained US police have been known to shoot people claiming the phone looked like a gun or other weapon. 

This application seems more suited to say, a watch or digital integration into driver’s license with a ’smart chip'. The watch does last multiple days on a single charge (my wife’s newer series 3 apple watch) or at least 14 hours (my 4 year old series 0 apple watch). And who needs a bar code? That’s 1980s technology. Just a near field interaction, like Apple Pay would be fine.