Apple plans to 'upgrade' San Francisco International airport

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple and United Airlines are reportedly planning to upgrade the latter's airport terminal. The airline revealed the news but said it was being "deliberately vague" about Apple's aims.

A United Airlines aircraft. (Photo: United Airlines)
A United Airlines aircraft. (Photo: United Airlines)

According to Bloomberg, Apple is looking to upgrade United Airlines' terminal at San Francisco International airport. It's been revealed that United is in early discussions with the company, but there is no indication of what either firm wants to achieve.

"The Apple team in San Francisco has been in our baggage hold areas, customer service and the lobbies," Linda Jojo, executive vice president of technolgy at United Airlines told Bloomberg at a company media day in Chicago.

"I'm being deliberately vague [ on details]", she said.

United is based in Chicago and has been holding a two-day media event to announce a range of initiatives. These include increased routes and flight numbers, plus unspecified revisions to how the airline handles queuing and gate-checked bags.

The airline operates out of SFO's Terminal 3 East, which it previously modernized in 2014 with a revamped boarding area and a yoga room.

United recently revealed that Apple spends $150 million per year on flights with the airline, with the most-used destination being Shanghai.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Get ready for the autonomous electric Apple Jet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lilium/status/1186287521505918977
    edited October 2019 curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Apple Tags so we can track our bags through their system in real time, from the time it loads into the plane, then gets unloaded, sorted and put into baggage claim. 
    sarthosboxcatchersteveaulolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    It's probably a new WiFi protocol to improve security. No, it's a super secret underground autonomous Apple Shuttle for higher level employees who don't rate a spot on the Apple private jet.

Access through hidden passages in four different stalls in public restrooms, it'll take them to a dedicated TSA station if needed and then onto a private pre-bording ramp, ahead of all other passengers, including the 27 relatives pre-boarding with one person in a wheel chair.

flyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I'll bet Apple is looking to do some innovative tracking of luggage and travellers with their U1 chip, tags, iBeacon, et cetera.
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Indeed it's most likely the new Apple Tag deployment, but it could also be the first Apple Store inside an Airport Terminal. And I think it's the latter.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Probably just product deployment.

Does anything in airports run Windows? If so that's a huge security risk.

P.S. AirPods walkie-talkie feature coming? For security and staff?
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    CuJoYYC said:
    I'll bet Apple is looking to do some innovative tracking of luggage and travellers with their U1 chip, tags, iBeacon, et cetera.
    That would be cool.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    "United is based in Chicago and has been holding a two-day media event to announce a range of initiatives. These include increased routes and flight numbers, plus unspecified revisions to how the airline handles queuing and gate-checked bags."

It would be hilarious if United were literally increasing some flight numbers and making an event out of it.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are thrilled to announce today that flight UA 104 to Sacramento is, effective November 1, going to be UA 404!  I don't need to tell you that that's nearly a 300% increase.  Fares will increase slightly to make up for the increase costs, but way less than 300%.  We'll be announcing more of these flight number increases throughout the week.  Stay tuned!"
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    CuJoYYC said:
    I totally agree because no one can fix SFO
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Apple Tags so we can track our bags through their system in real time, from the time it loads into the plane, then gets unloaded, sorted and put into baggage claim. 
    as well as sensors so you can tell how far and how hard it fell when it was dropped!
    GG1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    MplsP said:
    as well as sensors so you can tell how far and how hard it fell when it was dropped!
    Or if it was opened on the tarmac and if items are suddenly missing... or if your bag is suddenly heading to Hawaii without you...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    You name it and it probably runs Windows if it has a display attached for users or connects to a Windows product or service at some point.

Even a new and modern airport in Dubai will rely on MS...
    AppleExposedStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Everyone of you have missed the mark, it is going to be the ultimate YOGA room!... :*
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    You name it and it probably runs Windows if it has a display attached for users or connects to a Windows product or service at some point.

Oh yeah..... let's hope there's a Mac roll out.

lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

There won't be because Apple doesn't license their OS for vendors of these products. While I'd love them to—which would also be welcome to many here—they've pulled away from this as an option and would have a long way to go to make this a reality. It's a lot more likely that Android or a now unknown OS built from a Linux kernel will eventually replace Windows on embedded devices, not macOS.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    mobird said:
    Everyone of you have missed the mark, it is going to be the ultimate YOGA room!... :*
    LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mobird said:
    Apple Yoga Pro you mean. 
    edited October 2019 mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

There won't be because Apple doesn't license their OS for vendors of these products. While I'd love them to—which would also be welcome to many here—they've pulled away from this as an option and would have a long way to go to make this a reality. It's a lot more likely that Android or a now unknown OS built from a Linux kernel will eventually replace Windows on embedded devices, not macOS.
    These things are literally just a PC housed in a case. I’ve worked on these systems before and they could easily be replaced with a Mac Mini so long as drivers exist for the printers and scanners. The difficult bit would be getting software written to handle the printing and scanning of tickets and boarding passes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I also foresee a large number of built-in wireless charging stations.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This brings back memories of my tour 25 years ago of Pittsburgh's new airport that had installed an OS2 system for automated baggage routing:   Under the airport was a 3 dimensional maze of carrier belts with bags on it traveling at high speed while the computer system tracked each one and, as it reached an intersection, punched it (literally -- with a mechanical fist) over onto the correct belt till it reached its final destination.

I'd been in IT for 10-15 years at that time but had never seen anything quite so amazing.

Today, after almost 3 decades, I suspect Apple could do something even more amazing.
    watto_cobra