Apple working on ways to securely present government ID from an iPhone or Apple Car

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    The State of Louisiana already has a digital driver’s license app for iOS and Android.  It is accepted by police, and they don’t have to take your phone.  They can scan the barcode.  Your phone never leaves your hand.  It’s also accepted to get in many bars, etc.

https://lawallet.com/

Louisiana's Legal Digital Driver's License

• 100% Legal for driving purposes per Louisiana law of Act 625 of the 2016 season.

• Louisiana State Police will accept the LA Wallet Digital Driver's License!

• ATC legally approved all responsible vendors to accept LA Wallet for real-time age verification-required purchases and deliveries.

• The LA Wallet App is made for Apple iOS and Android.

• Activate it for the cost of 1 premium coffee for the life of your current physical license registration. 

• The iOS app went Live in the App Store Tuesday, June 26th, 2018! The Android version went live in the Google Play Store on July 2nd, 2018. 

Is your phone locked or unlocked while displaying the scannable code?
    It is unlocked, but you do not give the phone to the officer.  You hold the phone and he scans the barcode on the phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22

The State of Louisiana already has a digital driver’s license app for iOS and Android.  It is accepted by police, and they don’t have to take your phone.  They can scan the barcode.  Your phone never leaves your hand.  It’s also accepted to get in many bars, etc.

• 100% Legal for driving purposes per Louisiana law of Act 625 of the 2016 season.

• ATC legally approved all responsible vendors to accept LA Wallet for real-time age verification-required purchases and deliveries.

• Activate it for the cost of 1 premium coffee for the life of your current physical license registration. 

• The iOS app went Live in the App Store Tuesday, June 26th, 2018! The Android version went live in the Google Play Store on July 2nd, 2018. 

Mike1 had some good questions:
    mike1 said:

Now THAT is impressive!  Good Job!
    Very cool. Do all police agencies within the state have the ability to accept the Digital License? The bullet point only mentions Louisiana State Police.
    As per my point above, as good as this is, it may not eliminate the need to carry the physical license too. Even so, it would be preferable for all the other times you need to show ID.

The State Police were involved in providing input to the app’s design and function.  I don’t know if all police agencies have the ability to accept it, but it is a legal form of identification for police agencies in the State of Louisiana.  The State has not claimed you can forego carrying your physical ID because you get the digital ID.  This is merely the first step in moving to all digital.  I still carry my physical ID as well as the digital one.  The digital one is great just in case I forget my physical ID.
    watto_cobra