Photos claim to show 'AirPods Pro' charging case

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2019
A pair of images posted online late Friday supposedly offer a closer look at a charging case for an unreleased AirPods product rumored to launch in October.

Published to leak depository SlashLeaks, the two images show what appears to be two halves of a squat, partially disassembled AirPods charging case.

The lower portion of the white plastic part includes a top plate with recesses presumably designed to accommodate a next-generation AirPods device. Holes leading down from the top cover into the larger housing are likely meant to hold earphone stems for charging and are similar in size and shape to openings found in current AirPods charging cases.

Apple's usual "Designed in California" and "Assembled in China" markings are displayed below what could be a hinge groove, while a large cutout below the text looks ready to receive a paring button affixed to the top portion of the shell by a piece of tape.

Both top and bottom sections are covered or partially covered in a protective blue covering. No other markings or internal components are visible, suggesting the part -- if legitimate -- originated at a plastic casing supplier.

According to reports out of Apple's supply chain earlier this month, the company plans to launch a new "AirPods Pro" product by the end of October. Unnamed sources said the earphones will incorporate noise cancelling technology, much like Apple's recently released Beats Solo Pro, and sell for at least $260.

Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo was first to deliver word of Apple's AirPods strategy in April, saying the tech giant intends to issue two new models, one at the end of 2019 and another in early 2020. At least one next-generation device is expected to sport a fresh design.

Apple itself might have leaked "AirPods Pro" in recent iOS 13.2 beta release that includes an icon depicting a heretofore unknown AirPods design. The illustration bears an uncanny resemblance to so-called "AirPods 3" images posted to SlashLeaks in September. Interestingly, the charging case in the September photos align with the shell seen in today's images.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I hope that Apple does come out with 2 versions -- one with noise cancelling and the other without.  That's partly because I assume the one without would be the budget 'pods.   But also, my grandson tends to wear his everywhere and constantly.  But he is able to hear what is going on around him and hold conversations while wearing them.  I assume he would not be able to do that (as well) with noise cancelling AirPods.

(and, even if he were able to adjust the noise cancelling level I doubt that he would).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Volume control please. I get annoyed when trying to turn up/down the volume in my pocket and accidentally tap the controls on the screen. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Volume control please. I get annoyed when trying to turn up/down the volume in my pocket and accidentally tap the controls on the screen. 
    Use the volume rocker on your iphone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I usually tell Siri to adjust the AirPods volume.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

He wants an AirPods solution. Someone mentioned swiping up and down on the AirPods for volume.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingambloggerblog
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Siri or Digital Crown on Watch. Sometimes volume rockers on phone itself. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10

Damn, I didn't realise how much like a commode the AirPods charging case looks like!

Pic A: The cistern.

Pic B: The commode.

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I hope that Apple does come out with 2 versions -- one with noise cancelling and the other without.  That's partly because I assume the one without would be the budget 'pods.   But also, my grandson tends to wear his everywhere and constantly.  But he is able to hear what is going on around him and hold conversations while wearing them.  I assume he would not be able to do that (as well) with noise cancelling AirPods.

(and, even if he were able to adjust the noise cancelling level I doubt that he would).
    Having used noise cancelling headphones for quite some time now (since the mid 90's), they are designed to get rid of "white noise" and not conversations.  The original Bose headphones were based on the Aviation Headsets where not hearing anything but what was being played in the cans would be dangerous, as airplane engines misfiring and such would lead the pilot to keep flying in ignorance, rather than being clued in to the problem.

Not having music playing on my Bose QC series made conversation easier, not harder.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    pslicepslice Posts: 149member
    I’d Consider buying these but Apple assumes everyone’s ears are the same size. I used BeatsX and use the smallest ear foams. Apple ear pods are so huge. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    That’s what I do and that’s where the problem is. While locating the rockers on my phone, which is often in my pocket, I sometimes triggers a track skip or a pause. The screen comes on and that massive player control is hard not to accidentally touch.