Apple debuts $249 AirPods Pro with active noise cancellation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    The Transparency system uses the pressure-equalizing vent system paired with software to tailor the noise cancellation so the outside world isn't completely tuned out. And, the mode also helps users to monitor their own pitch and timber while talking on a call. 

Is that oak or ash? Oh wait you mean timbre! ߘ馡mp;nbsp;

These are just what I’ve been waiting for, the normal EarPods design doesn’t fit my or anyone else’s ears that I know, but the ancient Apple in ear headphones that I still use regularly despite being rather tatty now fit and sound great. Hopefully these are just as good! Shame about the name, a few of Apples naming schemes have been questionable as of late...

Loving the pile of shit that is the forum editor. Can’t escape the quote box on iOS ߙ䦬t;/div> Look at the amazing job it did of converting emojis too. 
    edited October 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 22 of 88
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Airpods Pro sounds a bit silly.  I imagine most people are going to call them Airpod Pros and it'll sound really forced and weird whenever Apple talk about them.
    chemengin1lostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 88
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    netling said:
    Not for NYC to LA, or international flights... you would have to take the charger and charge them mid-flight... Sony, Bose and Plantronics wins in that ball park. 
    Are you saying you wont use them because you have to take the charging case with you, to get 24 hours worth of use out of them? The CHARGING CASE is too large to take on an international flight? I don't know if you use the current AirPods, but you don't have to worry about the charging case, it is tiny; and you will need one at your destination anyway (even for the Bose ones).
    elijahgGeorgeBMacmwhiterandominternetpersonStrangeDaysAppleExposedjahbladelolliver
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Ordered. Expected next Tuesday. My 2nd gen will go to my wife. Good times!
    jahblade
  • Reply 25 of 88
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    This will be my Christmas gift to myself!!! The original AirPods don’t stay in my ears so these are perfect!
    I’m with you on that one. None of the previous Apple earphones have ever worked in my ears. Actually that goes for most earbuds I’ve tried. So yeah hoping these do the trick. 
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Ordered mine about 5 minutes after the announcement LOL.  Hard to believe they'll be at my house by Thursday night, but that's cool!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 88
    sflagel said:
    netling said:
    Not for NYC to LA, or international flights... you would have to take the charger and charge them mid-flight... Sony, Bose and Plantronics wins in that ball park. 
    Are you saying you wont use them because you have to take the charging case with you, to get 24 hours worth of use out of them? The CHARGING CASE is too large to take on an international flight? I don't know if you use the current AirPods, but you don't have to worry about the charging case, it is tiny; and you will need one at your destination anyway (even for the Bose ones).
    My god, every time there is a new product reveal, some of you reveal just how unbelievably myopic your tech world view is.  This may shock some of you, but not every Apple product is a perfect solution for every use, and it is OK to complain when Apple products lack reasonable functionality -- even if it's functionality that you, personally, might not utilize.

These are NOISE-CANCELLING headphones. Many people put them on for an entire flight, not for music, but to CANCEL AMBIENT AIRPLANE NOISE.  When you have to wake up or stop what you're doing and charge the headphones for 15-20 minutes in the middle of the flight, it does sort of defeat the purpose for certain users.  It is perfectly reasonable for a person to expect that noise-cancelling headphones would hold a charge for a 5-hour flight.  It doesn't mean that the airpods pro suck, nor does it mean that it is a bad product. But it is a reasonable critique/observation.

I have a set of first and second generation airpods.  Their extreme ease of use is what keeps me coming back to them.  Their middling sound quality, mediocre max volume, and iffy fitment get annoying.  I still put on a set of quality audiophile headphones if I'm stationary and want decent sound.

Hopefully these new pro models will up the ante on sound and volume.  If these actually produce a respectable sound, these could be the holy grail of headphones.  I will be picking up a set on day 1!

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 88
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sflagel said:
    netling said:
    Well, at 69, if I ever try to run a marathon, they won't last.
    (It was meant as a joke -- don't jump in me!)
    randominternetpersonGG1matrix077
  • Reply 29 of 88
    While I do understand that comparable headphones cost just as much, I really wish they could've had the same price as the ordinary AirPods:/ I think the original AirPods seems great, but am a bit hessitant to buy headphones that are basicaly the same as those included. While these new Pro ones deliver better sound they are really way too expensive. I rather buy corded ones for the same price but with way better sound. But I only wish to buy Apple products:/
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Lara Croft 835Lara Croft 835 Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    just gonna say from an Australian price point $399 for these are a joke. HomePod is $469. 

entropysAppleExposedsvanstromchemengin1lolliver
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Of course they would announce these a couple days before I should get my new Beats Solo Pros. Sounds like they still don't have volume control though, which is whay I passed on AirPods several times. So I'll probably end up keeping the BSP's. Definitely want to check AirPods Pro out though. 

Hasn't Apple been doing this for a while though? iirc, in the early 00's Apple offered a set of premium ear buds you could buy as an alternative to the standard white headphones. Then in 2008 they did the same thing, putting inline controls on the standard headphones, and having a more premium set that had dual drivers. This sound like a repeat of that, only cutting the cord.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Does anyone know if it is possible to keep two sets of headphones connected the the same phone?  
    So, if you already had a gen 2 set, but also bought a gen 3 set, could you listen to music with the gen 2 set, put them back into the case and 5 minutes later crack open the gen 3s?
  • Reply 33 of 88
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lostkiwi said:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to keep two sets of headphones connected the the same phone?  
    So, if you already had a gen 2 set, but also bought a gen 3 set, could you listen to music with the gen 2 set, put them back into the case and 5 minutes later crack open the gen 3s?
    Since you can connect more than one set of AirPods at the same time, retating between two pairs shouldn't be a problem at all.
    lolliver
  • Reply 34 of 88
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    The x-ray image on the Apple website shows what looks like the batteries in a package of sorts (gold colored). Wonder if they are replaceable or at least more easily removable for recycling?
    edited October 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Yikes, $329 in Canada !
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Am losing faith in Apple.  Why myst we always gave to choose between white, white or white whether it be AP Pros, Apple pencil or Magic Trackpad?  The marketing of all things refrigerator white has lost the appeal to purchase.  For now I will stay with my colorful Beats Pro and soundful Bose Sport Buds.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    I assume if you switch from noise canceling to transparent mode you save battery, right? This might help on long flights. In any case I am taking my Bose and my new AirPods on my next long flight to compare comfort, effectiveness, and battery life in all modes. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 38 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm one of the few people that has never even tried the original airpods yet, but I'm liking the look of these a lot more than the regular version. Also, the new features, like noise cancellation, improved sound, adaptive EQ and the 3 sizes of pads make these seem interesting enough that I am considering getting a pair.
    AppleExposedjahbladelolliver
  • Reply 39 of 88
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    So I have question about transparency mode, what does that mean for deaf people? Can outside sound be amplified also to help hear 👂 better? 
    AppleExposediqatedo
  • Reply 40 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I assume if you switch from noise canceling to transparent mode you save battery, right? This might help on long flights. In any case I am taking my Bose and my new AirPods on my next long flight to compare comfort, effectiveness, and battery life in all modes. 
    An airplane flight is precisely where noise cancelling would come in super handy imo.

I suppose these have a quick recharge, so if the battery runs out, you just pop them in the case for a short time, and you're good to go again.
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMacGG1lolliver