Apple releases iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2 for iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2019
Apple has shipped iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2 for iPhone and iPad, an update it is shipping now to enable support for the AirPods Pro, as well as adding new emoji and the option to opt in to the Siri request accuracy review program.

Released on Monday, the update from iOS 13.1.3 and iPadOS 13.1.3 brings the iPhone and iPad up to version 13.2 in each case. The update can be applied to a user's device by entering the Settings app, selecting General, Software Update, and then selecting to install the update.

If users have automatic updates available, this will simplify the process by preparing the update in the background, then notifying the user it is ready to install the operating system upgrade. For iOS 13.2, the update from the previous version weighs in at 568.4 megabytes, while iPadOS 13.2 is a 531.7 megabyte download.

The update ships after four rounds of betas for each operating system, with the most recent release on October 23.

The timing of the release coincides with the launch of the AirPods Pro, which Apple revealed on Monday. The new model, which features Active Noise Cancellation, requires an update of the operating system to enable its new functionality, as well as to add core support for the audio accessory to Apple's devices.

Earlier AirPods also gain Announce Messages with Siri, where the digital assistant will read incoming messages aloud in the AirPods.

For iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.2 introduces Deep Fusion, Apple's computational photography feature that uses the A13 Bionic Neural Engine to combine multiple images at various exposures into a single image with better texture, details, and reduced noise. The models also add the option to change the video resolution from within the Camera app, instead of doing so via Settings.

The option for users to opt in to a program to supply Apple with anonymized voice recordings of Siri requests is likely to be welcomed by privacy advocates. Previously used to improve the accuracy of Siri and its verbal prompt detection, Apple pulled the previous version of the program following unfavorable reports, and promised to change it to an opt-in program where Apple would not retain audio recordings, and that only Apple employees would be allowed to listen to the samples.

There is also the option to delete the Siri and Dictation history from Siri settings.

Over 70new emoji are introduced in the update, including animals, food, activities, accessibility, gender-neutral characters, and skin tone selection for some symbols.

For the Home app, HomeKit Secure Video is introduced, allowing users to privately capture, store, and view encrypted video from their home security cameras, as well as to detect people, animals, and vehicles in footage. HomeKit-enabled routers will also offer settings in the app so users can control which HomeKit accessories can communicate over the Internet.

There are also a number of bug fixes and improvements, including an issue where passwords wouldn't autofill in third-party apps, Messages displaying numbers instead of a contact's name, iCloud Backup problems, and others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Few changes but I like it. Fair number of emojis as well as memojis.

I guess we can expect beta 13.3 betas by the beginning of next week /s...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    How can it be that my 1-year-old processor on my iPhone XS Max isn't powerful enough to let me change the video resolution in the Camera app? Why is Apple holding this feature back for just the iPhone 11 variants? Makes no sense at all. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 24
    @AppleInsider ;Does 13.2 resolve the connectivity issues plaguing users with Bluetooth hearing aids? 
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    @AppleInsider Does 13.2 resolve the connectivity issues plaguing users with Bluetooth hearing aids? 
    We're not sure yet, but it looks like a Bluetooth errata issue again.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/08/07/bluetooth-streaming-problems-introduced-in-apples-ios-92-remain-have-wide-ramifications
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ajl said:
    Hoping this one could fix the camera annoyance with the iPhone 6s that iOS 13.1.2 didn't.
    You mean the overzealous denoising that leaves any image (that’s not in PERFECT sunlight) looking crystallized and makes hair (and pets) look awful?

Apple will never fix that.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    @AppleInsider Does 13.2 resolve the connectivity issues plaguing users with Bluetooth hearing aids? 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/08/07/bluetooth-streaming-problems-introduced-in-apples-ios-92-remain-have-wide-ramifications
    Mike, will you do some photography tests on the Deep Fusion update?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Mike, will you do some photography tests on the Deep Fusion update?
    I won't personally, but it's on the list. We've done some, and so far, aren't greatly impressed.
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I have an iPhone 6s still and until os13 it was still serving me well. It still works fine except for Mail which can take an eon to display messages. It is like it is calling the mail servers and uploading all the existing messages every time it is launched. A similar thing albeit less severe happens on my brand new mbp. Anyone else experience this? If so does this update fix it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ajl said:
    Hoping this one could fix the camera annoyance with the iPhone 6s that iOS 13.1.2 didn’t.
    Yeah, like as if we all know what you are babbling about because it’s annoying everybody. Now explain yourself.
    sergiozllamaStrangeDaysuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Is anyone having issues with the music app? I’m an Apple Music subscriber and it keeps telling me I’m already a member and I can't play anything. 
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Is anyone having issues with the music app? I’m an Apple Music subscriber and it keeps telling me I’m already a member and I can't play anything. 
    Lots of issues reported with Apple Music. Seems to mostly affect Apple Music subscribers. 
    misterryan07
  • Reply 12 of 24
    tylersdad said:
    Lots of issues reported with Apple Music. Seems to mostly affect Apple Music subscribers. 
    Thank you for the quick response. Was about to pull my hair out lol!
    tylersdad
  • Reply 13 of 24
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Build number?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    “HomeKit Secure Video allowing users to privately capture, store, and view encrypted video from their home security cameras, as well as to detect people, animals, and vehicles in footage.”

I am confused now, my camera can’t detect people or anything else. So if I correctly understand, when I plug my security cameras in to 
    HomeKit Secure Video I will be able to do that? Is it free or I just pay 💰 for cloud storage? 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member
    iOS 12.4.3 for the older devices that were abandoned by iOS 13 last month (such as iPhone 6) also released today. As of this moment there is no information about its content.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iOS 13.2 seems to have fixed the one glitch I was experiencing, that being the Mail app not updating IMAP properly. After deleting emails on my iMac and then opening my iPhone 8 those deleted mails were still on my iPhone even after the Mail app updated. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Sometimes I had to manually delete those emails on my iPhone. Now with iOS 13.2 that no longer happens and my Mac and iPhone are in perfect sync as far as email goes.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Have they fixed email signatures not appearing at the bottom of emails when you have multiple accounts? This worked in 12.4.2.

You now have to scroll to a different 'from:' account, then back to the one you want to send from.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Anyone else have this happen?
    I have the iOS Beta profile installed and running 13.2 (17B5084a).
    Going to settings > general > about > software update, I have available iOS 13.2. It is the full install.
    I don't recall a full update over writing a Beta version.
    Anyone else?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    xmbxmb Posts: 18member
    Don’t upgrade if you need to use encrypted email, as there is a bug so when you forward an encrypted email sends an email with no content. 
    The quality of Apple updates seems to be slipping at the moment.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    04430443 Posts: 2member
    Anyone's iOS Apple News down?