Apple releases 13.2 update for HomePods with music handoff, user identification [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
The HomePod 13.2 update included with iOS 13.2 adds the ability for HomePod to recognize different voices, play high-quality ambient soundtracks, and handoff music, podcasts or calls from iPhone.

A HomePod on show in an Apple Store
A HomePod on show in an Apple Store

Apple has released the new 13.2 update for HomePods, bringing much-awaited iOS 13 functionality to the smart speaker. Chief among the new features are ones to do with making HomePods work more seamlessly with iPhones and within families.

HomePods can now differentiate between the voices of the members of your family. This lets the speaker offer each person a personalized experience, such as the correct New, Chill and Favorites music mixes in Apple Music.

When 13.2 is installed, users can bring their iPhone close to the HomePod and hand off music to it. Music, podcast or even phone calls on the iPhone will immediately be passed to the HomePod where users can continue listening or speaking.

The new 13.2 release also lets users add music to HomeKit scenes for the first time, and can play high-quality Ambient Sounds too.

It's now also possible to set a sleep timer, so that when listening to music or the new Ambient Sounds, the HomePod will stop playing off after a specified time.

HomePod updates are done automatically via the Home app on iPhone. If the automatic update is switched off, updates can be done manually by tapping on the house icon at the top right of the screen, then scrolling to Software Update.

Update: Apple has retracted the update after reports of bricked devices.
jahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Can't wait to start playing with this. 
    equality72521jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    Until Apple gets AirPlay 2 to work properly with a stereo pair of HomePods, they will continue to be one of the worst products ever released by Apple. iTunes loses its connection to the Homepods and frequently the HomePods can no longer find the Internet without power recycling them. And they still work only with iTunes. Right. Stereo HomePods can't play YouTube videos. $700 speakers that only work with a single program. I wish I could return them. 

• Reply 3 of 26

I've been looking forward to this release. Multi-user support will be welcomed in our house and I'll definitely be using HandOff for phone calls quite a bit.

jonro said:
    Until Apple gets AirPlay 2 to work properly with a stereo pair of HomePods, they will continue to be one of the worst products ever released by Apple. iTunes loses its connection to the Homepods and frequently the HomePods can no longer find the Internet without power recycling them. 

My HomePod stereo pair works great with AirPlay 2 from iTunes, my iPhone and my iPad. I even AirPlay from them to an AirPort Express simultaneously with no issues.

And they still work only with iTunes. Right. Stereo HomePods can't play YouTube videos. $700 speakers that only work with a single program. I wish I could return them. 

Only with iTunes? I AirPlay audio from videos that aren't in iTunes all the time, including YouTube, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said something along the lines of they still do what they did when you bought them? I guess you should have returned them a long time ago.

jahbladerazorpitfastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jonro said:
    And they still work only with iTunes.
    Sucks that they only work with an app that's been retired.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Be careful with this update.  It just bricked my HomePod and I'm in the process of getting help from Apple.

After I updated, I couldn't get Siri to work at all (even after a power cycle) so I tried removing my HomePod using the Home app and then adding it again.  Unfortunately, none of my iOS devices can even detect it anymore.  Tried a tap and hold to reset it, but that doesn't seem to work either.
    jahbladerazorpitchristophb
  • Reply 6 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    jonro said:
    Until Apple gets AirPlay 2 to work properly with a stereo pair of HomePods, they will continue to be one of the worst products ever released by Apple. iTunes loses its connection to the Homepods and frequently the HomePods can no longer find the Internet without power recycling them. And they still work only with iTunes. Right. Stereo HomePods can't play YouTube videos. $700 speakers that only work with a single program. I wish I could return them. 

Mine work great with Plex. Ironically better than they do with the AppleTV app.

auxio said:
    Be careful with this update.  It just bricked my HomePod and I'm in the process of getting help from Apple.

After I updated, I couldn't get Siri to work at all (even after a power cycle) so I tried removing my HomePod using the Home app and then adding it again.  Unfortunately, none of my iOS devices can even detect it anymore.  Tried a tap and hold to reset it, but that doesn't seem to work either.
    Thanks. Part of me wants to go to iOS 13.2, but I'm going to sit back and wait a few days...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    auxio said:

Bricked mine as well. All I get now is white swirl and cant hard reset it at all. Funny, my second one didnt update to 13.2 and still works. Wonderful. Heading out so cant chase apple down right now but hopefully some fix is in the works.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    razorpit said:

auxio said:

Thanks. Part of me wants to go to iOS 13.2, but I'm going to sit back and wait a few days...
    The iOS 13.2 update went fine on my iPhone and iPad.  It's just the HomePod update which seems to be problematic.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Mine are bricked as well, can't get them out of the loop. Tweeted a video to apple support, keep everyone in the loop here if I get a fix. Anyone else please let me know if we find resolution on this :D
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Mine are bricked as well, can't get them out of the loop. Tweeted a video to apple support, keep everyone in the loop here if I get a fix. Anyone else please let me know if we find resolution on this :D
    I've been on hold for a while now waiting for a senior advisor.  The rep said that I'm in line behind a few other customers. :D
    edited October 2019 patrickrolfsen
  • Reply 11 of 26
    OHHH boy haha. This will be fun
    auxio said:
    I've been on hold for a while now waiting for a senior advisor.  The rep said that I'm in line behind a few other customers. :D
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Thanks to the folks with bricked HomePods, I am unable to download the update to either of my two HomePods. All iOS and iPad devices updated fine. Both AppleTV 4Ks present an option to update, but will soon after fail to initiate the update from 13.0. Glad I'm late to this party.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Thanks to the folks with bricked HomePods, I am unable to download the update to either of my two HomePods. All iOS and iPad devices updated fine. Both AppleTV 4Ks present an option to update, but will soon after fail to initiate the update from 13.0. Glad I'm late to this party.
    Happy to be of assistance lmao
    infinate13Wgkruegerjohnbsirius
  • Reply 14 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    jonro said:
    Mine work fine. (man, it's like I live in a bizarro-world where things work normally -- macOS, iOS, HomePods, HomeKit, etc..)
    Wgkrueger
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Just got off the phone with the senior advisor.  Sadly, the only option he gave was to bring my HomePod to an Apple store for service.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 16 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member

crowley said:
    jonro said:
    And they still work only with iTunes.
    Sucks that they only work with an app that's been retired.
    Except that's patently false, of course. But hey, who needs truth! 

You can beam any AirPlay audio signal to them as standard AP endpoint. Just like we have done w/ AP speakers for years now. Doh!
    patrickrolfsen
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Ugh just made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow night

• Reply 18 of 26
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member

I've been looking forward to this release. Multi-user support will be welcomed in our house and I'll definitely be using HandOff for phone calls quite a bit.

jonro said:
    Until Apple gets AirPlay 2 to work properly with a stereo pair of HomePods, they will continue to be one of the worst products ever released by Apple. iTunes loses its connection to the Homepods and frequently the HomePods can no longer find the Internet without power recycling them. 

My HomePod stereo pair works great with AirPlay 2 from iTunes, my iPhone and my iPad. I even AirPlay from them to an AirPort Express simultaneously with no issues.

And they still work only with iTunes. Right. Stereo HomePods can't play YouTube videos. $700 speakers that only work with a single program. I wish I could return them. 

Only with iTunes? I AirPlay audio from videos that aren't in iTunes all the time, including YouTube, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Wasn't it Steve Jobs that said something along the lines of they still do what they did when you bought them? I guess you should have returned them a long time ago.

You can select a stereo HomePod pair as an Airplay output device? That's interesting, because I can only select single speakers, not the stereo pair.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jonro said:

You can select a stereo HomePod pair as an Airplay output device? That's interesting, because I can only select single speakers, not the stereo pair.
    Yup just pair them from Home app first
  • Reply 20 of 26
    One of my two HomePods are bricked. Only solution after 3 hours on phone with Apple is to drive two hours to Tulsa Apple store. Really sucks. Do not reset the HomePod after update. Give it plenting of time after update before asking it to play music.
    auxio