Apple rolls out tvOS 13.2 for Apple TV with Siri recording opt-in

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2020
After a weeks-long beta process, Apple has released its tvOS 13.2 update for Apple TV with support for Siri recording opt-in and the AirPods Pro, ahead of the Apple TV+ debut.

tvOS
tvOS

Unlike the simultaneous debut of iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2, tvOS 13.2 is light on new features. The most prominent change this time around is user opt-in support for sharing Siri audio recordings.

Apple promised the feature in August 2019 and we saw the feature crop up during the beta process of iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2.

After installing the update on the Apple TV, a new intro screen appears that explains how Apple will use the Siri recordings and allows users to decide whether or not they'd like to aid Apple in improving Siri's abilities by sharing occasional bits of their Siri conversations. As Siri on Apple TV needs to be manually invoked by the button on the Siri Remote, users may be more likely to participate.

The update precedes Apple's high-profile launch of Apple TV+ which is set to debut on November 1st. Early reviews for some of the most enticing titles have went live this morning including See, The Morning Show, Dickonson, and more.

Users can now download and install the tvOS update from their Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K from the Settings app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    minor point upgrade to iOS is a good thing but you are missing the biggest iOS 13 story completely.

Until today HomePod has been stuck on version 12.4. Finally today Apple has released 13.2 for HomePod as well. It is been an absurd wait of about a month or more.

I’m not sure which is the stronger feeling. The relief that Apple has finally released iOS 13 for HomePod or the fact that it took more than a month after the general release of iOS 13 to issue the same for HomePod.

I am guessing nobody at Apple insider has a HomePod? LOL?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member

I just hope to god Apple has finally learned to keep my HomePods connected to my TV!  Apple TV always revert to the TV speakers whenever I AirPlay something to the Apple TV from my iPhone or AirPod.  And it doesn't go back to HomePods for output when a native app (e.g. Netflix, YouTube) plays.  I'd be in Netflix, start a movie - find that sound is coming from the TV rather than my HomePods - and have to pause, get out of Netflix entirely, long-hold Play/Pause button to bring up the destination menu and re-select the HomePods.  Every friggin' time!  Heck, more recently (ios13?), even when I do switch to the HomePods, the volume up/down on the remote becomes totally useless.  Youtube would be playing sound through the HomePods - but adjusting sound doesn't work at all.  Exit again.  Hold PlayPause, DISCONNECT/RECONNECT HomePods, then go back to Youtube.

Apple's software quality sucks big time these days.  It's getting to ridiculous proportions.  What the he11 happened to "it just works."???

• Reply 3 of 7
    dpkroh said:
    minor point upgrade to iOS is a good thing but you are missing the biggest iOS 13 story completely.

Until today HomePod has been stuck on version 12.4. Finally today Apple has released 13.2 for HomePod as well. It is been an absurd wait of about a month or more.

I’m not sure which is the stronger feeling. The relief that Apple has finally released iOS 13 for HomePod or the fact that it took more than a month after the general release of iOS 13 to issue the same for HomePod.

Absurd wait? For new functionality you didn’t have before? I’m confused, did your HomePods stop working in the interim? Mine are still performing perfectly and I’ve suffered no losses. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tjwolf said:

I just hope to god Apple has finally learned to keep my HomePods connected to my TV!  Apple TV always revert to the TV speakers whenever I AirPlay something to the Apple TV from my iPhone or AirPod.  And it doesn't go back to HomePods for output when a native app (e.g. Netflix, YouTube) plays.  I'd be in Netflix, start a movie - find that sound is coming from the TV rather than my HomePods - and have to pause, get out of Netflix entirely, long-hold Play/Pause button to bring up the destination menu and re-select the HomePods.  Every friggin' time!  Heck, more recently (ios13?), even when I do switch to the HomePods, the volume up/down on the remote becomes totally useless.  Youtube would be playing sound through the HomePods - but adjusting sound doesn't work at all.  Exit again.  Hold PlayPause, DISCONNECT/RECONNECT HomePods, then go back to Youtube.

Apple's software quality sucks big time these days.  It's getting to ridiculous proportions.  What the he11 happened to "it just works."???

Actually you’re only partially right. It is true that when you switch device input to the HP, it disconnects from the last device (your ATV). 

When this is discovered is not true that you need to exit the app (Netflix) and long-press to toggle audio endpoints. Just use the top-edge swipe-down menu and change the endpoint in the Audio section. You can do it without even pausing the playback. 

Lastly there is a bug in the crappy YouTube app, which is not a native ATV app, doesn’t use the system wide audio swipe-down menu (or other tvOS conventions) — the bug is it will not honor the last-used-endpoint and requires you to switch to your HP prior to opening the YouTube app. It’s the only streaming app that does this, so I’m fairly certain it’s a bug on their end. 
    minicoffeegregoriusmpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dpkroh said:

Absurd wait? For new functionality you didn’t have before? I’m confused, did your HomePods stop working in the interim? Mine are still performing perfectly and I’ve suffered no losses. 
    Yes... the wait was absurd.  Had a HomePod when it first came out - sent it back as useless.  The very reason I decided to try HomePod again was due to the multi-user voice recognition.  Everything on Apple’s website after iOS13 was released that mentioned HomePods mentioned this feature.  No where at that time did it still say “coming soon”.

Also when I upgraded my other devices like iPhone to iOS 13 I HomePod features broke. My iPhone started telling me I had to upgrade to newer software on my HomePod - newer software that was not yer available.  So it basically “broke” things until Apple later muted this message.

This is an ECOSYSTEM not single isolated operating systems and devices.  There are features in iOS 13 and HomePod 13 that depend on both devices upgraded.  So yes it is very much absurd.  You may have slack standards, and that’s okay for you, but it doesn’t make it okay for Apple as a company.  Especially not when Apple promotes the idea of buying into an entire ecosystem that works together.
    mobirdsteveau
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tjwolf said:

What the he11 happened to "it just works."???

It’s complicated. 
    steveau
  • Reply 7 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    dpkroh said:
    dpkroh said:

Yes... the wait was absurd.  Had a HomePod when it first came out - sent it back as useless.  The very reason I decided to try HomePod again was due to the multi-user voice recognition.  Everything on Apple’s website after iOS13 was released that mentioned HomePods mentioned this feature.  No where at that time did it still say “coming soon”.

Also when I upgraded my other devices like iPhone to iOS 13 I HomePod features broke. My iPhone started telling me I had to upgrade to newer software on my HomePod - newer software that was not yer available.  So it basically “broke” things until Apple later muted this message.

This is an ECOSYSTEM not single isolated operating systems and devices.  There are features in iOS 13 and HomePod 13 that depend on both devices upgraded.  So yes it is very much absurd.  You may have slack standards, and that’s okay for you, but it doesn’t make it okay for Apple as a company.  Especially not when Apple promotes the idea of buying into an entire ecosystem that works together.
    It is okay, in fact. Repeat after me: “I am not a victim. I am not, a victim...”

Now allow me to play the world’s smallest violins for you, and all of the hardship you hath suffered so.