Old-school AI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just was having a huge fight with groverat, "Ah the good ol days" and wanted to know who's still here from before August 2000. (Had been registered before then and then the damn thing went down for a while and forgot all my beautiful posts!)

I'm one. May 2000

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    old skool, baybee
  • Reply 2 of 78
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    2000? Sure.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    was that the big AI blackout?

I was here before that . . .
  • Reply 4 of 78
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    blue and teal baby.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    November 1999, maybe?
  • Reply 6 of 78
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I was around before 2000, although I wasn't posting in the forums*. If I saw a screen shot from past years I'm sure I could pick out the earliest.

*Alright you ninnies, keep your opinions about how things were better then to yerself!
  • Reply 7 of 78
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    you're lucky... when I was a kid...

some of us remember BBS'ing on the Apple ][ via Acoustic 300 baud modem

feed the hamster, man that was slow.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    I was around back then, but I never actually registerd until a few days ago...8)
  • Reply 9 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I first registered in 1973.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I first registered in '99. Ah, yes the good old days.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Is November 98 (earliest or OLDEST of the OLD SCHOOL) good enough for you?

Sure, I only had 2 posts my first year. But hey, still here the longest baby!
  • Reply 12 of 78
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    I posted as TT before the big blackout. It was hyper-annoyingly black background w/white or yellow text. Or something like that. Probably started surfing AI in Summer of 98. Don't remember when I registered, just that I couldn't register as TT anymore and had to move to THT after the troubles.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Jan 99

• Reply 14 of 78
    I was here well before the blackout. Goddamn, that blackout went on forever!

I was here back when AppleInsider's main page actually had rumors! That's what drew us here in the first place.

Horribly inaccurate rumors, but rumors none the less ('horribly inaccurate' is par for the course).
  • Reply 15 of 78
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    June 1999. Long enough to remeber that every thread related to this topic becomes a celebratory dance for JRC.
    jrc
  • Reply 16 of 78
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    hehehehe "celebratory dance"

You should also note that close on the heels of JRC's "oldest" claim comes my petulant post about being the next oldest member...a dubious distinction, since all of you Chatty Cathy's are easily outpacing JRC and me on post counts. The last month has been my most busy time here EVER. Hoping to get busy soon so my posting rate here goes back down!
  • Reply 17 of 78
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Actually there were two major blackout and several minor ones.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Uh, yeah. I got here by Spring of 2000 sometime. I may have been here back in fall of '99, b/c that was right at the beginning of my "I should really get back into Macs" phase.

I did take some breaks from AI a couple of times. One was right after I got my Pismo (in Sept. '00). That extended into the blackout, and after the blackout, I came back for a while. I got tired of coming here at some point (I don't remember exactly when), but came back in full force last summer sometime?

Anyway, I'm here. I started here a while ago. I'll probably be here for a while, yet. 8)
  • Reply 19 of 78
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I registered in the old AI perhaps in 2000. In fact i don't remember precisely when. I have discovered the existence of AI in a french Mac review : AI is world famous
  • Reply 20 of 78
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Hell yeah!

AppleInsider lurker since June 1999.

Ahh, those heady days of P1 rumours, garish colours and surprise G4 non-releases...