iOS 12.4.3 now available for some devices that can't upgrade to iOS 13

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
Apple has released an update of iOS for some older iPhone and iPad models that cannot be updated to iOS 13.2, with the legacy hardware now able to update to iOS 12.4.3.

iOS 12.4 running on an iPhone XS
iOS 12.4 running on an iPhone XS

While the majority of iPhone and iPad users are updating to iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2 on Monday, users of older models not supported by the operating system upgrade are able to download an update to iOS 12. Released without betas or fanfare on Monday, the iOS 12.4.3 update is available to download now on a small selection of older devices.

The list of compatible hardware for the iOS 12.4.3 update includes the iPhone 5s, the iPhone 6 family of smartphones, the first-generation iPad Air, the second and third-generation iPad mini, and the sixth-generation iPod touch.

Older models, including the fifth-generation iPod touch, the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5, and the iPad 4, are currently not able to update, and have to remain on earlier iOS releases at this time.

Apple says that there are security updates in the release. Preliminary testing by AppleInsider suggests that there are some improvements to two-factor authentication on older devices as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    First the iOS 10 update for the iPhone 5 and now this. Could be a sign of things to come - Apple continuing to issue important security updates for previous versions of iOS so people on older devices aren't left behind or vulnerable.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Everyone might want to wait till Apple comes back up. They have issues, and they are not alone.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    After updating iPhone 6 to iOS 12.4.3 I cannot connect to App Store
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Disregard: able to access App Store
  • Reply 5 of 16
    What if you do not want to update to iOS 13 even though your devices are compatible with it, but you’d rather only install the security update?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    What if you do not want to update to iOS 13 even though your devices are compatible with it, but you’d rather only install the security update?
    That option is not available. iOS updates are model-specific, and iOS 12.4.3 has only been released for models that can run iOS 12 but are unable to upgrade to iOS 13. Newer models need to upgrade to iOS 13 to get the same security fixes.

Details of the security fixes haven't been published yet but if this follows the pattern of security updates for older macOS versions then iOS 12.4.3 will include a subset of the fixes in iOS/iPadOS 13.2, and possibly some that were already released in iOS/iPadOS 13 through 13.1.3.

Details should be available once Apple releases macOS 10.15.1, watchOS 6.1 and possibly some Windows updates, as they will include some of the same fixes in cross-platform components.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Yep just upgraded my iPhone 6 to 12.4.3. Seems like a smooth update.  I guess  doesn’t wanna give up on us older iPhone users yet.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Your question is answered in the first sentence of the article. And in the second paragraph, and the third paragraph. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    I suggest people with this particular question improve their reading comprehension skills.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 10 of 16
    DeepstariaDeepstaria Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have 2 iPhone 5s. My other 5s got the update of iOS 13 and its compatible, no bugs and still working smooth.I want to ask if i can get my other 5s update to iOS13 in other way? 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I have 2 iPhone 5s. My other 5s got the update of iOS 13 and its compatible, no bugs and still working smooth.I want to ask if i can get my other 5s update to iOS13 in other way? 
    Are you sure that one of your phones isn’t an SE. The 5s cannot get the iOS 13 update. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I hope you can help me. I'm
    using Iphone 6s plus. I'm
    trying to update my IOS to 12.4.3. I already downloaded it but I can't install it. Can you help me guys? Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I updated my IPhone 6Plus to IOS 12.4.3 last night and now cannot see any of my old text messages.  Only texts sent/received since the update completed are viewable.  We have had a death in the family this past Thursday and I desperately need to access my texts prior to the upgrade.  I would welcome any suggestions.  I do not believe they are gone, just somehow hidden (a new setting I need to change?).  I can capture all the previous IPhone texts on my tablet that I have not yet upgraded, but cannot access the texts from essential Android phones on the IPAD.  Desperately need to view all previous historical texts sent/received on my iPhone 6 Plus.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dempson said:
    That option is not available. iOS updates are model-specific, and iOS 12.4.3 has only been released for models that can run iOS 12 but are unable to upgrade to iOS 13. Newer models need to upgrade to iOS 13 to get the same security fixes.

Details of the security fixes haven't been published yet but if this follows the pattern of security updates for older macOS versions then iOS 12.4.3 will include a subset of the fixes in iOS/iPadOS 13.2, and possibly some that were already released in iOS/iPadOS 13 through 13.1.3.

Details should be available once Apple releases macOS 10.15.1, watchOS 6.1 and possibly some Windows updates, as they will include some of the same fixes in cross-platform components.
    Yep. It is common practice to avoid disclosing specific details about the nature of the security vulnerabilities that were patched until after the patch has been fully deployed across as much of a company's full product line as they care to continue supporting. If there really are some cross-platform vulnerabilities, then Apple will probably keep their disclosure embargo in effect until all of them have received the patch.

First the iOS 10 update for the iPhone 5 and now this. Could be a sign of things to come - Apple continuing to issue important security updates for previous versions of iOS so people on older devices aren't left behind or vulnerable.

Maybe. But the iPhone 5 update was absolutely essential to prevent the device from becoming almost unusable. I think it remains to be seen if they will follow-up on that with any actual security patches. Personally, I am doubtful, and I presume that any devices that are stuck on iOS 11 or older should be considered insecure by default at this point.

• Reply 15 of 16
    I want to update to IOS 13 but my iPhone 6 plus won't update. It says that the latest version of my phone is IOS 12.4.3. I tried plugging it into my laptop and connect to iTunes but it said the same thing. I don't know what to do anymore. Can somebody please help me.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ricasorel said:
    I want to update to IOS 13 but my iPhone 6 plus won't update. It says that the latest version of my phone is IOS 12.4.3. I tried plugging it into my laptop and connect to iTunes but it said the same thing. I don't know what to do anymore. Can somebody please help me.
    Count yourself very lucky. IOS 13 has killed the battery on my 6S Plus. 

I'd happily roll back to 12. anything. anything