Apple's iOS 13.2 release bricks HomePod for some users [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
HomePod owners beware. Apple's release of iOS 13.2 on Monday delivers long-awaited features to the company's smart speaker, but the software is rendering some units useless.

With iOS 13.2, HomePod owners gain access to major features announced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, including handoff from iPhone and multi-user support. Customers who downloaded the update are reporting issues, however, prompting concerns over software stability.

AppleInsider forum members impacted by the problem report a complete bricking of HomePod. At least three people have run into an issue that sends the speaker into what appears to be an error loop that leaves the unit unresponsive with a spinning white light on its display. Attempts to perform a factory reset, which involves unplugging the speaker and touching the top capacitive control panel, have been unsuccessful.

Unpairing the device from Apple's Home app is also ineffective.

"After I updated, I couldn't get Siri to work at all (even after a power cycle) so I tried removing my HomePod using the Home app and then adding it again," said forum member Auxio. "Unfortunately, none of my iOS devices can even detect it anymore. Tried a tap and hold to reset it, but that doesn't seem to work either."

HomePod owners are reporting similar issues on Reddit and social media platforms like Twitter. According to Redditor "VALIDNULL," Apple support representatives are instructing some users to replace the device as a software solution is not currently available.

@AppleSupport the new update for HomePod had broken my HomePod. What should I do? pic.twitter.com/n4AkdQiK2d

-- Matt (@TheWillsy)

Considering the implications of a thoroughly bricked device, and Apple's apparent inability to resolve the issue, it is recommended that HomePod users take a wait and see approach to iOS 13.2. To disable HomePod's default automatic software downloads, tap on the house icon in the top-left corner of the Home app, navigate to Software Update and turn off "Install Updates Automatically."

Update: Apple has since retracted the iOS 13.2 update for HomePod.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I always wait at least a week before updating. 
    cornchipJFC_PAphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    I also tried to update this afternoon and both of my paired HomePods are toast with the same issues as described here. Unable to hard reset and not recognizable by any device etc... 
    Is this an issue best taken up with Apple support live? Or would a trip to an Apple store be a better path perhaps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Well this is terrible. I was looking forward to this. I hope everyone can get their HomePods u up and running again. That’s a bad Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    FWIW, my update went fine. 
    minicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    pujones1 said:
    I hope everyone can get their HomePods u up and running again.
    Likewise, hope there’s a simple fix for affected folks. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    jungmark said:
    Given that there are over 1.5 billion iOS devices, the odds of a device being bricked are lower than being struck by lightning. 

But wait away if it makes you feel better. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 34
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    A trip to an Apple store is likely the quickest route. Set up an appointment and go. 

Even on minor updates I like to wait for any adjustments app developers might find necessary before installing. 
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    flydog said:
    jungmark said:
    Given that there are over 1.5 billion iOS devices, the odds of a device being bricked are lower than being struck by lightning. 

It doesn’t work like that since there are not 1.5b HomePods. There’s an unusually high number of HomePods being bricked where there are huge threads of tons of people saying they are bricked. Plus, it seems as if apple pulled the update, meaning it’s an issue. So stop being a jackass. 
    sigma4liferusswshark5150zoetmbCloudTalkinphilboogieelijahgmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1christophb
  • Reply 9 of 34
    flydog said:
    jungmark said:

Actually, it would appear you’re correct according to National Geographic:

The odds of becoming a lightningvictim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000
    philboogieStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    The update did not immediately brick my HomePod.

It’s banner feature individual user recognition did not work.  HomePod Siri Would tell my wife if does not recognize her.

Checked all the apps settings as recommended by Apple and after still failing to make multi user authentication work I followed the steps on Apple’s website to reset HomePod.

As per Apple instructions after unplugging and plugging the HomePod back in I pressed and held the top until the white spinning circle turned red. Siri on the HomePod Warned that the HomePod was about to reset. I waited for 3 beeps and the reset started.

I must’ve waited for 10 minutes or Morrow wow the white circle was spinning on top but nothing else happening. Put my iPhone next to it with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on. Made sure I was signed into the iCloud account with the Home app and Music installed and still nothing.

chaickacaladanianwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Meanwhile Tim Cook & Co. are attending The Morning Show premiere in New York.

Thankfully I don’t have audio update turned on so mine isn’t bricked.
    philboogieelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Mine updated without issue,  I have two paired and used with the Apple TV 4k.
    philboogieStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Apple's QC is really in the toilet. And lately I'm experiencing all kinds of new problems in Safari (13.0.1) under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. In addition, old emails that I was saving disappeared from the in box on my iPhone and it is not the issue where Apple moved the cheese (I didn't accidentally delete anything). I realize it's hard to test for every use case with every piece of software and hardware, but can Apple test their own damned products? For what they charge for their products, they really need to get their act together. They're becoming just like every other incompetent company, only with higher prices. I think Apple has gotten too large to manage properly. They hire more and more people and things seem to get worse.
    flyingdphucom2000seanjAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Thanks for the warning.

I immediately went to my Home app and disabled automatic updates. The 13.2 image was already in the process of downloading when I intervened. The download completed but it did not automatically install. Now all of my devices with the Home app installed are showing me a badge on the Home icon to indicated that the 13.2 download is ready to install. Instead of the badge showing a "1" and the Home app showing "Updates Available" it really should say: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

Nope Craig, I don't feel lucky today.
    edited October 2019 philboogietechnowatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 34
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    zoetmb said:
    Apple's QC is really in the toilet. And lately I'm experiencing all kinds of new problems in Safari (13.0.1) under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. In addition, old emails that I was saving disappeared from the in box on my iPhone and it is not the issue where Apple moved the cheese (I didn't accidentally delete anything). I realize it's hard to test for every use case with every piece of software and hardware, but can Apple test their own damned products? For what they charge for their products, they really need to get their act together. They're becoming just like every other incompetent company, only with higher prices. I think Apple has gotten too large to manage properly. They hire more and more people and things seem to get worse.
    That’s just nonsensical. It’s always been the case that if you want to avoid issues, don’t update right away. It’s also always been the case that any problems that emerge are amplified by all the people who have the problem posting about it online, and most who don’t have a problem not posting online, because there’s not much motivation to pile up posts saying “no problem here!” 

Only time will tell. Maybe there is a big problem, or maybe this thread is awfully short if it’s actually a widespread issue. I’m just going to wait it out and see. 
    JFC_PAStrangeDaysjohnbsiriuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    My HomePod just won’t update, so there’s that.
    StrangeDayscaladanianchemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Apple might have realized there was an issue and pulled the update. It was in the home app for me but never got past update requested step. I rebooted my iPhone XS Max and the HomePod. Now it is telling me that it is up to date on ios12.4 again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    My HomePod just won’t update, so there’s that.
    They’re just that intelligent. 

( and reports are Apple pulled the update)
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    flydog said:
    jungmark said:

It doesn’t work like that since there are not 1.5b HomePods. There’s an unusually high number of HomePods being bricked where there are huge threads of tons of people saying they are bricked. Plus, it seems as if apple pulled the update, meaning it’s an issue. So stop being a jackass. 
    Since jung implied he waits a week for all his devices (“I always”) his comment isn’t about HP alone and thus flydog’s comment is accurate, and not being a jackass.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Meanwhile Tim Cook & Co. are attending The Morning Show premiere in New York.

Thankfully I don’t have audio update turned on so mine isn’t bricked.
    Er, why wouldn’t they? Are you trying to suggest they shouldn’t support their new effort (which Wall Street seems pleased with) because of this issue? Or is it some other sort of resentment message you’re trying to relay?
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmecornchipwatto_cobra