Apple rolls out watchOS 6.1 update for Apple Watch Series 1 through Series 5 owners

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2020
Not only does watchOS 6.1 add compatibility with Apple's new AirPods Pro, but it can now be loaded on the Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 2.

Apple Watch and watchOS 6
Apple Watch and watchOS 6

Apple Watch's new software, watchOS 6.1, has been in testing since just a week after watchOS 6 was releases for the Apple Watch Series 3 and newer. Beyond the new device compatibility, it doesn't appear to have much in the way of new features for the user.

The watchOS 6.0 release in September included a slew of new features. That update included an Apple Watch-specific App Store and new watch faces. New faces include Solar Dial, Modular Compact, Gradient, California, Numerals Duo, and Numerals Mono. Several existing watch faces were also updated with new design elements.

New to Apple Watch with watchOS 6 was a redesigned Reminders app, and new versions of Apple's own Audiobooks app, Calculator, Voice Memos, and Noise.

Cycle is a new enhancement for watchOS 6. Users can track their menstrual cycle right from Apple Watch and get intuitive notifications which is all synced to the accompanying Health app on iPhone with iOS 13.

How to get watchOS 6.1

The update requires at least 50% battery life to install as well as a connected iPhone with a compatible iOS version. To update Apple Watch, users should place Apple Watch on a charger and launch the Watch app on their iPhone. From there, Head to General > Software Update.

As of this release, Apple Watch Series 1, Series 2, Series 3, Series 4 and Series 5 are all supported by watchOS 6.1, although some features may be limited to the newer models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Does it fix the problem with Siri Shortcuts not being available on the watch? By far my biggest problem with the watchOS 6 update. 
    ihatescreennamesflyingdp
  • Reply 2 of 35
    I think I’ll wait a few days before upgrading...
    wonkothesaneflyingdpmatrix077jahblade
  • Reply 3 of 35
    I sure hope they’re working on a battery fix for the Series 5...my experience is much worse than my Series 3 
    airnerd
  • Reply 4 of 35
    I hope this fixes an issue I have with scrolling on my Series 5. It will sometime not scroll with the dial and I'll have to scroll with the touch screen...then after I do that, the dial starts to work again. Another issue I hope is fix, is that a digital overlay clock comes on the screen and that usually locks up my display. I can do anything when it does that and usually have to reboot....
  • Reply 5 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I've only had one minor issue. I hope it fixes the bug where Mickey always speaks when you tap the screen, even when it was turned off in settings. LOL
    forgot username
  • Reply 6 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But will it brick my series 4? Only time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Wish I could use my Unlimited Cellular Data Plan to download WatchOS/iOS while at work.  The WiFi at work blocks Apple websites, and my commute time is horrible.  By the time I get home, I have 3 hours to get to the gym, get home, fix dinner and go to bed.  That time is precious, and wasted waiting for firmware upgrades that could be done elsewhere.

Just let me "Accept" the Cellular Data usage, upgrade my device and do it; while I'm at work.  Anymore, a couple of Gig over Cellular is not a big deal.
    inequals
  • Reply 8 of 35
    I cannot tell if this update can be installed on a Series 0, the original released watch. The article doesn't say Yes, and it doesn't say No. Has anyone tried?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    You know, it’s the first time ever I hold off on installing an official update immediately. 
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Great it can be installed on older watches as well, well done!
  • Reply 11 of 35
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Ashburn said:
    I sure hope they’re working on a battery fix for the Series 5...my experience is much worse than my Series 3 
    Yes, I noticed that also. According to AI recently (https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/28/apple-watch-series-5----review-one-month-later), this 6.1 update should fix it.

"Whatever battery problems you may have experienced with watchOS 6, they're gone in 6.1."

caladanian
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Do you think the next Apple Watch will be bezel-less? It’s the one thing that still bothers me having the black border.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    israndy said:
    I cannot tell if this update can be installed on a Series 0, the original released watch. The article doesn't say Yes, and it doesn't say No. Has anyone tried?
    Did you read the headline?
    fastasleepchia
  • Reply 14 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    Worked ok on my Series 5. Pretty fast compared to some recent Beta updates. I turned on Share iPhone & Watch Analytics. It should be interesting to see if they fixed that battery bug.
  • Reply 15 of 35

israndy said:
    Sorry, you are stuck with watchOS 4 on Series 0. Time to upgrade?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Anyone have a build number for this release? I’ve been running the betas and I’m curious if this is just the most recent beta release.

Edit: I’m guessing they’re not the same because I removed the beta profile and ran software update and it’s installing an update.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 17 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    payeco said:
    Anyone have a build number for this release? I’ve been running the betas and I’m curious if this is just the most recent beta release.

Edit: I’m guessing they’re not the same because I removed the beta profile and ran software update and it’s installing an update.
    Well, I took the plunge to 6.1 without issues thankfully. The build number is 6.1(17S84)
    caladanian
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Ashburn said:
    Turn off the always on display and you get the battery back. I did that in mine and more end the day about 45-50% instead of 10-15%
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Ashburn said:
    Turn off the always on display and you get the battery back. I did that in mine and more end the day about 45-50% instead of 10-15%
    That’s not a good solution at all. Always on display was one of series 5 biggest features. If that affects the battery so much despite the special super low power display refresh technology then there is a hardware or software problem.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Hopefully 6.1 will fix the bug with Stand Goals not showing correctly. Not sure exactly what causes the problem but in WatchOS6, some users have experienced a bug which means that if you stand in the second half of the hour, it registers an hour ahead, but if you stand only in the first half of the hour, that hour keeps flashing all day, and cannot be registered.  Some have suggested that it’s Timezone related, such as if your Timezone ie +X:30, but not really sure.  Hope 6.1 fixes it though.