Apple's Tile-like tracking device named 'AirTag' in iOS 13.2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    gutengel said:
    I wonder how expensive these tiles will be; I bet it'll be a subscription of sorts.
    Good question.  I doubt the "subscription" part though.

<snip>
    Have them inserted in your children.
    Joking aside, if Apple ever comes out with a subcutaneous version I'd be all for that!  After all, Apple now is heavily into the medical side of things, why not?  
    Bonus points for using the term subcutaneous.   If Apple does deliver a small product I'm going to joke with my Dr about having it inserted into my abdomen.  I wonder what she'll say. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    gutengel said:
    I wonder how expensive these tiles will be; I bet it'll be a subscription of sorts.
    Good question.  I doubt the "subscription" part though.

From an earlier AI article we can get a sense of the market price for these types of things:

Tile Stickers run $39.99 for a two-pack and $59.99 for a four-pack. Tile Slim will run $29.99, the Tile Mate comes in at $24.99, while the Tile Pro is $10 more at $34.99. Multi-packs are available as well such as two Tile Stickers, a Tile Slim, and a Tile Mate for $69.99, a four-pack of Pros for $99.99, a four-pack of Mates for $69.99, or two Mates/two Slims for $74.99.

That pricing is about what I'd expect.  Hopefully it will be on the lower end.  Now I just have to figure out what I'd actually want to stick them on.  I always hang my car keys up and carry my phone with me.  My remotes don't sneak off.  Oh, maybe my car?

Have them inserted in your children.
    Joking aside, if Apple ever comes out with a subcutaneous version I'd be all for that!  After all, Apple now is heavily into the medical side of things, why not?  
    I am joking about AirTags being used for that purpose but I've mentioned on this site for years—even before the Apple Watch was out and Apple was moving toward the medical field—that I expect that we will move toward wearables, which including comments about devices both placed under the skin and ones that you could swallow to monitor bodily functions.

edited October 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    AB101AB101 Posts: 27member
    Absolutely revolutionary.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    AB101AB101 Posts: 27member
    Absolutely revolutionary.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    hentaiboy said:
    This company owns the AirTag.com domain name, so Apple will have to make a deal with these guys:  https://www.idemia.com/
    AirTag in that case is a company name rather than a product.

Apple doesn't own airpods.com or ipad.com either.
    IMO, the biggest and most obvious domain name they haven’t purchased was beats.com. How they missed that one is breathtaking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Why not wireless charging + recycling program for old ones?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    hentaiboy said:
    This company owns the AirTag.com domain name, so Apple will have to make a deal with these guys:  https://www.idemia.com/
    AirTag in that case is a company name rather than a product.

Apple doesn't own airpods.com or ipad.com either.
    Yes. It’s a trademark matter, not a website one.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    How is that at all better than replaceable batteries and indefinite use?
  • Reply 29 of 31
    For roughly the same reason Apple moved away from it with phones long time ago.

1. improved design aesthetics / user experience
    2. easier to make water-proof/resistent
    3. optimal energy management and quality control
    4. consumer bought batteries have a very poor recycling rate
    5. recycling means faster adoption to newer models that replace the old ones

I would be VERY surprised if Apple EVER releases Airtags with replaceable batteries. That’s very unApple like.

• Reply 30 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    For roughly the same reason Apple moved away from it with phones long time ago.

1. improved design aesthetics / user experience
    2. easier to make water-proof/resistent
    3. optimal energy management and quality control
    4. consumer bought batteries have a very poor recycling rate
    5. recycling means faster adoption to newer models that replace the old ones

I would be VERY surprised if Apple EVER releases Airtags with replaceable batteries. That’s very unApple like.

Uh, iPhone batteries are replaceable, even if it's not meant to be customer-serviceable. Also, having a replaceable battery does not preclude wireless charging.