Apple rolls out watchOS 6.1 update for Apple Watch Series 1 through Series 5 owners

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Ashburn said:
    I sure hope they’re working on a battery fix for the Series 5...my experience is much worse than my Series 3 
    Turn off the always on display and you get the battery back. I did that in mine and more end the day about 45-50% instead of 10-15%
    That’s not a good solution at all. Always on display was one of series 5 biggest features. If that affects the battery so much despite the special super low power display refresh technology then there is a hardware or software problem.
    I have a Series 5 and leave the display at Always on. I put my Watch on yesterday morning at about 6:45. I wore it all day, including a 1-hour workout, went to bed at 1:15 this morning, but turned on Airplane and Theater modes to sleep and when I woke up at 6:50 this morning I was at 30%. So, I don’t really have any battery life issues. 
    gilly33
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Ashburn said:
    I sure hope they’re working on a battery fix for the Series 5...my experience is much worse than my Series 3 
    Turn off the always on display and you get the battery back. I did that in mine and more end the day about 45-50% instead of 10-15%
    That’s not a good solution at all. Always on display was one of series 5 biggest features. If that affects the battery so much despite the special super low power display refresh technology then there is a hardware or software problem.
    Not really a problem. Apple has only ever claimed 18 hour battery life. The watch has usually over delivered on that promise. I personally don’t miss the always on display. I sometimes turn it on during a workout, but in day to day use I don’t miss it
  • Reply 23 of 35
    ‘The update requires at least 50% battery life to install as well as a connected iPhone with a compatible iOS version. To update Apple Watch, users should place Apple Watch on a charger and launch the Watch app on their iPhone. From there, Head to General > Software Update.’ I thought that as of ver. 6.0 you could update on the watch itself w/o your iPhone. At least on the series 4 and series 5. Must be a typo. I’m updating on my series 4 sans my Xs Max.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Seems a bit weird to have an entire x.1 release for what is essentially adding a few images of the AirPods Pros to the software. iOS 13.1 and 13.2 were the same, they weren’t worthy of a x.n number. I wonder if we’ll end up back in the days of skipping version numbers..?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    jdb8167 said:
    Does it fix the problem with Siri Shortcuts not being available on the watch? By far my biggest problem with the watchOS 6 update. 
    Does it fix the AOD tattoo issue. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. They are discriminating against tattooed folks 😑
  • Reply 26 of 35
    I have had issues with series 5 AOD and the rep said it’s probably bc I have tattoos. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. I spend over $500 for it not to detect wrist for tattoos. Wow
  • Reply 27 of 35
    I have had issues with series 5 AOD and the rep said it’s probably bc I have tattoos. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. I spend over $500 for it not to detect wrist for tattoos. Wow
    That's because the IR light used to detect wrist presence is absorbed by your tattoo, whereas it's not with white or black skin. It's down to the ink the tattoo artist used. If it absorbs IR light, there's nothing you or Apple can do. It's just physics.
    edited October 2019 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 28 of 35
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    I can unfortunately confirm that the 6.1 update does not fix the Stand Goal software bug. I can almost positively say that the bug is due to an error in the code that miscalculates when the stand goal starts and finishes. This affects people in a Timezone that is not a full hour Timezone e.g. +9:30 as opposed to +9:00. It’s likely that the stand hour doesn’t care what the time is, it just checks back for 60 minute intervals from GMT forgetting that some time zones are half hour zones. Hopefully Apple will fix this in the next update. 
  • Reply 29 of 35
    I have a series 2 watch and it won’t upgrade to 6. There is some widespread bug that’s not allowing it to upgrade.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    I have a series 2 watch and it won’t upgrade to 6. There is some widespread bug that’s not allowing it to upgrade.
    My Series 2 upgraded ok, it’s just the Timezone bug, which had already previously affected my wife’s Series 3, that is the issue. 
  • Reply 31 of 35
    I have a Series 4 that updated itself to 6.1 automatically overnight (at least that’s what the Watch app on my XR says) - and while it’s not strictly bricked, it appears to be in constant charge mode even when off the charger - the display shows the nightstand display unless you press the side button twice and then there is a green lightning flash displayed at the top of the screen. Apps don’t seem to be working right - can’t get a heartbeat reading. 

Tried to power cycle the watch to see if that will fix it but the power off swipe doesn’t work!

Guess I have to wait until it completely runs out of charge to see if that fixes it.

Annoying. 
  • Reply 32 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    elijahg said:
    That's because the IR light used to detect wrist presence is absorbed by your tattoo, whereas it's not with white or black skin. It's down to the ink the tattoo artist used. If it absorbs IR light, there's nothing you or Apple can do. It's just physics.
    Not worth the keyboards strokes to respond to his comment. Damn. Now that's two of us.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    hodar said:
    Wish I could use my Unlimited Cellular Data Plan to download WatchOS/iOS while at work.  The WiFi at work blocks Apple websites, and my commute time is horrible.  By the time I get home, I have 3 hours to get to the gym, get home, fix dinner and go to bed.  That time is precious, and wasted waiting for firmware upgrades that could be done elsewhere.

Just let me "Accept" the Cellular Data usage, upgrade my device and do it; while I'm at work.  Anymore, a couple of Gig over Cellular is not a big deal.
    I'd say you need to find another workplace. I presume they don't allow employees to use Apple Products for work functions?!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    astrofish said:
    I have a Series 4 that updated itself to 6.1 automatically overnight (at least that’s what the Watch app on my XR says) - and while it’s not strictly bricked, it appears to be in constant charge mode even when off the charger - the display shows the nightstand display unless you press the side button twice and then there is a green lightning flash displayed at the top of the screen. Apps don’t seem to be working right - can’t get a heartbeat reading. 

Tried to power cycle the watch to see if that will fix it but the power off swipe doesn’t work!

Guess I have to wait until it completely runs out of charge to see if that fixes it.

Annoying. 
    Hold the crown and side button at the same time until it restarts
  • Reply 35 of 35
    jdb8167 said:

israndy said:
    I cannot tell if this update can be installed on a Series 0, the original released watch. The article doesn't say Yes, and it doesn't say No. Has anyone tried?
    Sorry, you are stuck with watchOS 4 on Series 0. Time to upgrade?
    Heck no. It still works fine for time, timer, and workouts; and the display is undamaged (I use screen protectors and a nearly invisible bumper case). I'm only miss the fall detection, extra spaces, speed, longer battery life (my wife gets 2 days instead of 14 hours out of her new Series 3/WatchOS 5) and use of my Apple Card on the Series 0 watch (attempts to set it up says it requires a software update never to come). Maybe when Series 6 appears...