Apple TV+ chiefs speak about the service's creation and future path

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2019
Days before the launch of Apple TV+, Apple's chiefs of Worldwide Video Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht have revealed some of the work that went into building up the video streaming service from scratch, as well as hinting at the growth of the service beyond its opening year.

Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg
Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg

Apple will be launching Apple TV+ on November 1, with customers able to sign up to watch the company's original video content for $4.99 per month, or be able to view free for a year if they have bought select items of Apple hardware. The ambitious nature of the project required the hiring of executives that could do the job, which Apple did in June 2017 by bringing aboard Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg from Sony Pictures Television.

In an interview with Variety, Erlicht and Van Amburg offered insights behind the creation of Apple TV+, and Apple's ethos for the project as a whole. "This has been more than two years in the making," said Van Amburg. "We've all been working so hard to do the best work of our lives. We're anxious to begin to share that."

The pair spent time in Cupertino getting to know the various division heads that would be critical to the success of the project. "We spent a good chunk of [the first] few months flying up to Cupertino multiple times a week, figuring out how what we're doing on the entertainment side fit in with everything else at Apple," advised Erlicht. "We knew we needed to make [Apple TV+] feel seamless for the company."

The duo also had to take time to get used to a different way of working, as developing Apple TV+ is a world away from a traditional Hollywood studio. While previously elements such as budgeting, international sales, and syndication helped guide their decisions, for Apple TV+ they instead had to work to create a service that would be "worthy" of the Apple brand rather than simply going for straight revenue.

As part of their visits, they started to take onboard Apple's ethos that allowed it to create its other products, which the pair hoped to put into Apple TV+ as well.

"The guiding word is 'humanity,'" Van Amburg said about the brand. "All of our shows have something to say about the relationships we have with each other and with the world. The common denominator of all the creative people we've gotten into business with is 'Wow, they really know what they want to say with this show, and they're desperate to say it.'"

Though the pair are known for backing major shows like "Breaking Bad" and "The Goldbergs," the change from using their well-established metrics to working off their instincts has also made them confident about their show picks and how they will be received by the public. "There's no piece of data on November 2 that in any way, shape, or form can change the course of what we've been doing," Erlicht claimed.

As for down the road, Erlicht is also excited to share that there will be considerably more content down the line. "We're going to have a bigger slate in the first year than we thought we would," the executive admitted, continuing "we will be bigger in year two than year one."

Van Amburg is prepared for the intense competition Apple TV+ will be in against other streaming rivals, including the dominant Netflix and Amazon, along with other streaming newcomers like Disney, Warner, and NBCUniversal arriving in the space within the next six months. "The natural inclination is to feel that November 1 is the finish line," he states, "but actually, November 1 is the starting line."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    And, with the release of one trailer (for "The Mandalorian") last night, Disney stopped the internet from talking about the tepidly received Apple TV+.
    lkrupptrashman69hmurchison
  • Reply 2 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    smaffei said:
    And, with the release of one trailer (for "The Mandalorian") last night, Disney stopped the internet from talking about the tepidly received Apple TV+.
    So, in your opinion, should Apple just shut down TV+ and call it a day?
    gilly33lolliverricmac
  • Reply 3 of 18
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Always some damn naysayer who out the gate is critical. Apple will make some flops and so will Disney. Amazon took years to be the household name it is now. I’m sure Apple is in this for the long haul. The problem with most of us on the consumer side is we think failure means the end of something. I’m just glad we have some choices outside of network tv and definitely will be cutting the cord next few months. Apple’s $4.99 is a sweet price and looking forward to Disney as well as I’m into the MCU. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 18
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The reviews are in and they should get their CVs ready. Apple TV+ is a flop of flat, lame and over budget shows.

Pull the plug now Tim or buy a studio that has content.
    trashman69
  • Reply 5 of 18
    davgreg said:
    The reviews are in and they should get their CVs ready. Apple TV+ is a flop of flat, lame and over budget shows.

And that’s why Tim’s the Apple CEO and your an armchair CEO. 
    Rayz2016lkruppAppleExposedlollivertrashman69matrix077ricmac
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    smaffei said:

Oh absolutely.

The Mandalorian is on Disney, and as far as I know, in the annals of  human history no one has watched one series of something, then watched another series of something else.

I mean, the notion that someone will watch the Mandalorian and then go watch … another programme on a different channel.

That's just crazy talk. If Apple can't see that then it's no wonder that the company's one bankrupt twenty years ago.

edited October 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

davgreg said:

And that’s why Tim’s the Apple CEO and your an armchair CEO. 
    Run a company? 
    Wouldn't trust davgreg to run a bath.
    AppleExposedtenthousandthingslolliverPickUrPoisonmatrix077
  • Reply 8 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Comments in a nutshell:

"I don't like this show so the service will suck!!"

Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    smaffei said:

Oh absolutely.

The Mandalorian is on Disney, and as far as I know, in the annals of  human history no one has watched one series of something, then watched another series of something else.

I mean, the notion that someone will watch the Mandalorian and then go watch … another programme on a different channel.

That's just crazy talk. If Apple can't see that then it's no wonder that the company's one bankrupt twenty years ago.

This is bad thinking. Some people won't give a damn about The Mandalorian(myself included as a Star Wars fan) and others will subscribe to watch Disney princesses. Others will only care about Dickinson on TV+. One show won't speak for everyone. Let's see how these services pan out before predicting the future.

• Reply 9 of 18
    Comments in a nutshell:

"I don't like this show so the service will suck!!"

Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    smaffei said:

Oh absolutely.

This is bad thinking. Some people won't give a damn about The Mandalorian(myself included as a Star Wars fan) and others will subscribe to watch Disney princesses. Others will only care about Dickinson on TV+. One show won't speak for everyone. Let's see how these services pan out before predicting the future.

Rayz was being sarcastic 
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The Morning Show ($300,000,000): Critics described The Morning Show as 'muddled', 'floundering' and 'a well-polished snore' ahead of its Friday debut. The series is the crown jewel in Apple TV+'s first slate of originals.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Apple is too focused on making shows that are woke and not focused on shows people actually want to watch.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    any news on Foundation?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    CarmboCarmbo Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    The problem with Disney+ is that not everybody has a huge appetite for even more Star Wars/Marvel content. I absolutely loved Stars Wars when it came out back in the 1970s and a bit of superhero fun and games is fine. Yet incessant dipping into those pools has succeeded in causing me to lose interest. Too much of a good thing, I suppose. 

Really, if you don't have kids in the household, I'm wondering if there's much point in adding Disney+ to the mix. With Netflix and Amazon Prime already subscribed to and Apple's service included for free for a year - recently bought an iPhone - I really don't have the time to watch even more content. When that content promises to give me more Stars Wars- and Marvel-related content when I'm getting tired of what is already being served up in theatres, seriously, I just don't see the value of paying for Disney's content. 

To each his own but for me personally, Netflix/Amazon Prime/AppleTV+ would more than meet my streaming content needs. Between purchasing movies, following pro sports, and myriad assorted other pursuits, there are only so many hours available to consume video content. Using that limited time to watch more Stars Wars and more Marvel, seriously, how logical is that?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    davgreg said:

I totally agree. 
    It’s very sad and unfortunate.   Perhaps the content will improve in a year or two.  

One thing for sure - When subscribers start jumping ship - Tim will have to do something.  

• Reply 15 of 18
    pjohnt said:
    Apple is too focused on making shows that are woke and not focused on shows people actually want to watch.
    1) They’re not mutually exclusive.

2) What makes you think you know how “focused” Apple is on “woke” shows vs. their focus on “shows people actually want to watch”? 

I have a hunch—just a guess, mind you—that you have no basis whatsoever for making that claim. 
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Too.... much..... negativity.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 17 of 18
    davgreg said:

I’m in awe of your expertise in this field. 
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Have we not learned a long time ago that there are "reviewers" out there who will always pan and bad mouth all things Apple?  Why should it be any different for Apple TV+ content.  I know, some of the reviews even came from AI.  But that's one person (entitled to his or her opinion.)  But I'm entitled to my opinion, and I trust my opinion more than I do the opinion of a stranger.  It just seems to me that proclaiming Apple TV+ dead on October 30, two days before it is even possible for you to watch the content, says something about you; and it's not flattering.
    hmurchisonPickUrPoison