Apple gets FCC approval for Mac Pro, release imminent

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2019
On Wednesday morning, Apple was granted FCC approval for the forthcoming Mac Pro, with historical precedent suggesting strongly that preorders for the unit will start very soon.

The report doesn't have anything more than Apple has shared about the Mac Pro at first glance other than the A1991 identifier. US Federal Communications Commission approval is required before a piece of consumer electronics goes on sale.

As expected, Apple has requested that the commission withhold block diagrams, schematics, and other procedures "indefinitely."

Typically, the FCC publishes Apple's applications the day of release. The Mac Pro was announced in July, similar to how the iMac Pro debuted before shipping. When the FCC documentation was released for the iMac Pro, pre-orders began less than two days later.

Apple debuted the Mac Pro on June 3. In the new Mac Pro, Apple is using a new Intel Xeon processor with up to 28 cores and 64 PCI Express lanes. The Mac Pro uses six memory channels, with 2933 MHz ECC RAM, in 12 slots, with up to 1.5 TB of system memory.

PCI-E has been restored to the system, with eight PCI-E slots. Four double-wide slots are available, with three single-wide ports. Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and two USB-A ports occupy the eighth slot. Two more Thunderbolt 3 slots are on the top of the enclosure.

Two of the PCI-E slots are MPX modules. Each MPX-compatible bay can support one full-length, double-wide x16 gen 3 slot and one full-length, double-wide x8 gen 3 slot in MPX bay 1, or two full-length, double-wide x16 gen 3 slots.

Up to 4TB of SSD storage can be installed at the time of purchase. Post-purchase options aren't clear at present. All storage is encrypted with Apple's T2 chip.

Networking is provided by a pair of 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Bluetooth 5.0 is also available.

The enclosure is 20.8 inches tall without wheels. It is 17.7 inches deep, and 8.58 inches wide. For comparison, the 5,1 Mac Pro was 20.1 inches tall, 8.1 inches wide, and 18.7 inches deep.

Other processor options are a 12-core 3.3 GHz Xeon with a 31.25MB cache, a 16-core 3.2GHz Xeon with 38MB cache, a 24-core with 57MB cache, and a 28-core 2.5Ghz Xeon. The eight-core Turbo Boost frequency is 4.0GHz, with the remaining options having a 4.4GHz boost speed.

Mac Pro models with an eight-core Xeon, 32GB of RAM, and the Radeon Pro 580X will start at $5999, and will be available in the fall. There will be a version optimized for rack deployment, also available in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I've decided to wait a while until the dust settles on this machine.  I have all too often jumped in too early.  I've just bought an i9 iMac 5K with the upgraded GPU and 64 GB of third-party RAM to work alongside my 2013 Mac Pro for now.  I have a sneaky feeling by 2021 there will be a significant revision of the new Mac Pro.  Not an issue for a commercial set up like I used to have where it will have earned the cost back in no time anyway but now these things are a hobby for me so I am happy to wait a while longer.
    wreighvenphilboogieroundaboutnowcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 27
    T CodyT Cody Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I don't think that it is a coincidence that the Adobe MAX creative conference starts next Monday on November 4. Perhaps we will see the new Mac Pro ripping through Premier content and the rumored 16" MacBook Pro doing the same with PhotoShop.
    StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    T Cody said:
    I don't think that it is a coincidence that the Adobe MAX creative conference starts next Monday on November 4. Perhaps we will see the new Mac Pro ripping through Premier content and the rumored 16" MacBook Pro doing the same with PhotoShop.
    Posted in another forum:

There’s a rumor floating about an Adobe MAX preview for MP7,1. Probably just means a new MP will be used for demos, but maybe someone from Apple will speak if not released by then.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I looked for a request asking them to keep information hidden until a certain date. I seem to recall that they did this so they could get ahead of the announcement and release. This is different because we do know about it, but I thought there might be some other information therein.

I hope this means that we don't have to wait until April 2020. I think Apple stated a 2019 release year so I assume that's still going to happen.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    T Cody said:
    The Final Cut Pro X creative summit starts on November 7.
    philboogieSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This matters not at all to me because Apple has decided I’m no longer part of the market for their workstations.
    pscooter63philboogieElCapitanmobird
  • Reply 7 of 27
    dysamoria said:
    This matters not at all to me because Apple has decided I’m no longer part of the market for their workstations.
    Just maybe (I know, when Hell freezes over and all that) Apple may release a mid-sized tower late 2020.  They have to be reading the feedback and there is a massive potential market for the same folks as the iMac Pro is aimed at that would kill for a Mac with bus slots between $3.5 and $6K.
    edited October 2019 davgregfotoformatroundaboutnowElCapitanmobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    T Cody said:
    It is highly unlikely that Apple would debut brand new hardware at a third-party event, even a close partner such as Adobe. Hell, Apple doesn't even do tradeshows anymore, that's how much they dislike the possibility of being upstaged by someone else.

The new Mac Pro has already been revealed so launching it via a press release wouldn't be surprising. Also, the 16" MacBook Pro could easily debut via press release. After all, it's only 1" diagonally wider than an existing model, not enough to merit a major media event.

edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    MacPro said:
    I have all too often jumped in too early.  I've just bought an i9 iMac 5K with the upgraded GPU and 64 GB of third-party RAM to work alongside my 2013 Mac Pro for now.
    Many people don't seem to realize how good the standard 5K iMacs are now. Those machines will run the majority of what is commonly considered to be "pro software" without breaking a sweat. iMac Pro and Mac Pro are for workflows that require maximum brute force. 
    MetriacanthosaurusStrangeDaysfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Many people don't seem to realize how good the standard 5K iMacs are now. Those machines will run the majority of what is commonly considered to be "pro software" without breaking a sweat. iMac Pro and Mac Pro are for workflows that require maximum brute force. 
    If you buy any version of the iMac you are buying planned obsolescence and no real upgrade path. I would rather buy a unit less frequently and update it rather than Apple’s throwaway model. The dirty truth is most Macs are not recycled- they end up as e-waste just like a Dell.

I will take internal expansion and a discrete display over the all in one consumer model any day.
    mobird
  • Reply 11 of 27
    davgreg said:
    If you buy any version of the iMac you are buying planned obsolescence and no real upgrade path. I would rather buy a unit less frequently and update it rather than Apple’s throwaway model. The dirty truth is most Macs are not recycled- they end up as e-waste just like a Dell.

I will take internal expansion and a discrete display over the all in one consumer model any day.
    Just to set the record straight, you are manufacturing BS. I’ve got a 2011 iMac still running. Apple takes in and recycles their hardware. I expect my new generation iMacs to run for many many years. 

As far as upgradability, i found that when I wanted to upgrade my home built machines the newer cpus were not compatible and memory had advanced to where they wouldn’t fit my motherboard.
    macplusplusStrangeDaysroundaboutnowfastasleepchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    T CodyT Cody Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    T Cody said:
    The Final Cut Pro X creative summit starts on November 7.
    With the FCP X Summit and Adobe MAX, all the more reason why chances are good we will see both the MacPro and 16" MBP in action. As far Apple being upstaged by Adobe at MAX, Adobe has use either MacOS or Windows 10 to do their demos. As much as Adobe wants to be platform blind it would be great opportunity for both Apple and Adobe. The good thing is we don't have long to wait and even though people love to pile onto Adobe, the MAX keynotes and demos are usually pretty spectacular. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MacPro said:
    dysamoria said:
    Just maybe (I now, when Hell freezes over and all that) Apple may release a mid-sized tower late 2020.  They have to be reading the feedback and there is a massive potential market for the same folks as the iMac Pro is aimed at that would kill for a Mac with bus slots between $3.5 and $6K.
    Nope, not enough of a market to serve. “Feedback” on tech blogs does not a market make. 
    StrangeDayscornchipchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    MacPro said:
    I have all too often jumped in too early.  I've just bought an i9 iMac 5K with the upgraded GPU and 64 GB of third-party RAM to work alongside my 2013 Mac Pro for now.
    I'll know tomorrow when my new iMac 5k arrives :)
    philboogieStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27

lkrupp said:
    MacPro said:
    dysamoria said:
    Just maybe (I now, when Hell freezes over and all that) Apple may release a mid-sized tower late 2020.  They have to be reading the feedback and there is a massive potential market for the same folks as the iMac Pro is aimed at that would kill for a Mac with bus slots between $3.5 and $6K.
    Nope, not enough of a market to serve. “Feedback” on tech blogs does not a market make. 
    I hope you are wrong.  I would think AI and Mac Rumors are read by every semi-pro and small graphics house in the world.  Even if they don't post.  It could be a larger market than you realize and that price range isn't consumer level.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    How about a late 2019 iMac 5K refresh? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mpantone said:
    It is highly unlikely that Apple would debut brand new hardware at a third-party event, even a close partner such as Adobe.

Well, Steve did pull an AE out of his jeans pocket at All Things D, so anything is possible.

• Reply 18 of 27
    MacPro said:
    dysamoria said:
    Just maybe (I know, when Hell freezes over and all that) Apple may release a mid-sized tower late 2020.  They have to be reading the feedback and there is a massive potential market for the same folks as the iMac Pro is aimed at that would kill for a Mac with bus slots between $3.5 and $6K.
    Apple makes profits by producing in scale. They wouldn’t want to have two competing products at that iMac Pro price range, cannibalizing each other ending with the ultimate failure of both. This is why they have raised the bar higher and higher in the pro range.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    MacPro said:
    dysamoria said:
    The product they have for that market is called the Mac mini.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    MacPro said:
    Agree, the new 5K iMac is awesome. I maxed it out and between the Vega 8gb vid card and 64gb ram, the thing should last me 8 years. 
    roundaboutnowfastasleepwatto_cobra