Tim Cook sees AirPods Pro as a complement to AirPods, not a replacement

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
During Apple's fourth quarter earnings call on Wednesday, CEO Tim Cook spoke on the recent launch of AirPods Pro and its position in the lineup, deemphasizing the device as a must-have upgrade.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

Apple's latest wearable, AirPods Pro, just launched and Cook noted as much during the intro to the company's quarterly conference call by calling out those listening on the new headphones.

During the question and answer portion of the call with analysts, Cook was asked how healthy the upgrade cycle was with wearables, including AirPods. He responded that there is not yet enough data to truly gauge the rate at which users upgrade products like Apple Watch and AirPods, but he did offer an interesting take on AirPods Pro.

"We're anxious to see the customers for the new AirPod[s] Pro," Cook said. "I would guess that one, particularly in the early going, will be people that have AirPods today and want to also have a pair for the times they need noise cancellation."

In Cook's eyes, AirPods Pro is less of a must-have upgrade and more of an add-on for heavy users. Cook suggests that AirPods Pro is a prime target for those who want a second set of headphones that include noise-canceling versus non-ANC headphones.

Apple's wearables division continues to see massive growth, with 54% increase year-over-year raking in $6.52 billion dollars. Wearables consist of AirPods, Apple Watch, and Beats products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Clever. 

What he really means is, “Yes they cost a lot, but there is a cheaper alternative.”

Now where’s that credit card …
    bakedbananaslkrupplolliver
  • Reply 2 of 30
    What he means is please buy multiple pairs of headphones so he can have more money
    chemengin1avon b7
  • Reply 3 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    sgordon said:
    What he means is please buy multiple pairs of headphones so he can have more money
    Well, yeah- duh!

Headphones are a very personal device. Everyone has their own preference in terms of sound quality, features, style, etc. Beyond that, no single still will fit everybody well. The fact that Apple has more than one model simply means they're trying to cater to more than one segment of the market. No need to read into it any more than that.
    MisterKitStrangeDayscy_starkmann2itivguybakedbananasCloudTalkinhodarlolliverjony0
  • Reply 4 of 30
    So far I’m loving the AirPod pros; just as comfortable as the originals. They didn’t look like they would fit nicely in my ears but they do. Glad to retire my first generation pair; would barely get an hours use after a full charge. 
    bakedbananashodar
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jcshasjcshas Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    I own:

Bose QC35II's
    BeatsX
    AirPods (2nd gen)
    AirPods Pro

...and recently sold my Bose QC30's and my PowerBeats Pro's. I'm sure my wife would agree, the last thing I need in my life is another "complimentary" set of AirPods. 

• Reply 6 of 30
    EasyontheeyesEasyontheeyes Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Well the reason I bought the AirPods was because every time I put my Bose pods in it made my Ears ache... now Apple has made the same thing 👎🏻  they should have done something with bone connectivity instead !!
    cy_starkman
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Way overpriced considering they only last about 2 years or so before the batteries fail to recharge and become disposable trash....and the mediocre sound quality does not justify the price.  But they are really working that 'Pro' word into their advertising...diminishing it with every new product release.
    cy_starkmanavon b7
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Way overpriced considering they only last about 2 years or so before the batteries fail to recharge and become disposable trash....and the mediocre sound quality does not justify the price.  But they are really working that 'Pro' word into their advertising...diminishing it with every new product release.
    Apple won’t replace the batteries? I never thought about that with my Beats X... have i really purchased land fill?

edit: below info

sounded like fud and it is fud

If your product is out of warranty or your battery wears down over time, you can get battery service through Apple or an authorized service provider. The fee includes replacement and recycling.”
    edited October 2019 EsquireCatsbakedbananasStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 9 of 30
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Very ignorant headline.( i restrained my self with the comment by the way ) Of course they are a replacement!. What he meant is they will be more appealing to those who already have experience with the none Pro version and would like to upgrade. And that the none Pro version will probably appeal to the 1st time buyers due to the lower price ! Just like iPhone 11 Pro is not a complement to iPhone11!
  • Reply 10 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Complement = optional. Replacement = no other option.

So in this regards, it's a humble statement.
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 11 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member

I am curious, do you have one?
    mathteacherlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 30
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Yeah, the original shape of AirPods aren't optimal for acoustics - don't get me wrong, they can still sound great, but it will be better if you have the proper isolation.

The original will be more comfortable to wear while the Pro is for the best sound possible.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    gerard said:
    So far I’m loving the AirPod pros; just as comfortable as the originals. They didn’t look like they would fit nicely in my ears but they do. Glad to retire my first generation pair; would barely get an hours use after a full charge. 
    Aaaaand apart from new customers this is who AirPods Pro are aimed at: people who loved their first-gen AirPods but have now worn them out. Clever.
    bakedbananaslolliver
  • Reply 14 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Apple's wearables division: $6.52 billion dollar

I'm lost for words...
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 15 of 30
    HyperealityHypereality Posts: 58unconfirmed, member
    Got them on day 1,  I liked the AirPods for convenience but they never fitted my ears properly. 

The new ones fit well with the largest silicone tips (big ears, small nose me) and the noise cancellation is as good as I would have expected from an in-ear design. 

I may keep my existing pods as a spare set, but the new ones are a good upgrade, especially as the price includes the wireless charging which I thought was an unnecessary extra expense before. 
    philboogie
  • Reply 16 of 30
    It's a bit of a silly, but expected question to field.

It's like having different kinds of chairs in your home. There are situations where you'd like one over the other - it certainly doesn't mean you need all of them.

I think the most remarkable thing about this product is that the ANC is comparable to over-the-ear headphones. Sony's gold standard noise cancelling in WH-1000XM3 did not translate as well into their in-ear rendition, despite these being an enhancement of the same technology for their in-ear version.
    In this regard the idea of a highly compact, yet proficient in-ear ANC product is a big win for travellers in particular, it's not always practical to carry around earphones in settings such as airports or on public transport. I think people training at the gym would also appreciate these.
    edited October 2019 StrangeDaysphilboogie
  • Reply 17 of 30
    As long as the audio quality (especially the base) is much worse than Bose, it will never be an option for me.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    The battery dies or holds just a bit of energy after 2 year with normal usage and the pair becomes unusable. Apple should make them with replaceable battery. Life of a headphone should not be limited with couple years.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    The battery dies or holds just a bit of energy after 2 year with normal usage and the pair becomes unusable. Apple should make them with replaceable battery. Life of a headphone should not be limited with couple years.
    Umm, you can get new batteries for them.

lolliver
  • Reply 20 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Clever. 

What he really means is, “Yes they cost a lot, but there is a cheaper alternative.”

Now where’s that credit card …
    Remember, you get $7.47 back on those $249 AirPod Pros if you use your Apple Card.  B)
    philboogie