Apple is world's largest PC vendor with $47B in iPad & Mac revenue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Record sales of Macs for the year helped close out the company's Fiscal 2019 with a total of $47 billion of non-iPhone computers, easily making Apple the largest PC maker globally by revenues in the quarter and across the last four.

Total sales of iPad and Mac in the quarter exceeded $11.6 billion in revenues, well ahead of the $9.7 billion in PCs, notebooks, and workstations sold by HP, $9.6 billion in sales reported by Lenovo for its "PC & Smart Device Business Group," and of course, the $1 billion in tablet, notebook and desktop revenues reported by Microsoft Surface.

Apple no longer reports units sales of iPads or Macs, and most industry comparisons selectively compare Windows tablets and PCs only against Apple's estimated Mac shipments, making unit sales harder to compare. It appears that Apple is selling about two-thirds the number of systems of either Lenovo or HP, while bringing in greater revenues-- and earning far more money.

Best year for Macs ever

Apple reported that its Mac sales in the September quarter were down slightly year over year, due to a "tough comparison to last year's fourth quarter when we updated both models of MacBook Pro," as Apple's chief executive Tim Cook stated in the company's earnings call yesterday.

The company's quarterly report noted $6.99 billion in Mac revenues compared to $7.3 in the year-ago quarter. Apple did update its other notebooks in the quarter. Cook stated that "MacBook Air, in particular, has been a hit in the back to school season."

Mac sales across Fiscal 2019 were strong enough to generate "the highest annual revenue ever from our Mac business," Cook stated. Apple's revenues from Macs during the last four quarters were 2% higher than in fiscal 2018, in an overall market for PCs that has been stagnant.

Apple has yet to begin selling the new Mac Pro it unveiled this summer at WWDC19. "For our pro customers who push the limits of what Mac can do," Cook stated, "we're very excited about the upcoming launch of our newly redesigned Mac Pro this fall, which we are proud to be manufacturing in Austin, Texas."

Apple's PC sales are particularly strong compared to lagging sales of Microsoft Surface

iPad continues to grow

Cook also announced "great results for iPad, with revenue of 4.7 billion, up 17 percent from a year ago," adding that "iPad revenue grew in all five of our geographic segments, with a Q4 revenue record in Japan."

He added that "over half of the customers purchasing iPads during the September quarter were new to iPad and the iPad active installed base also reached a new all-time high. The most recent surveys from 451 research measured a 95 percent customer satisfaction rating for iPad from consumers and 97 percent from businesses. And among both consumers and businesses who plan to purchase tablets in the December quarter, more than 80 percent plan to purchase iPads."
applesnorangeswatto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I can't wait for Ralphie to come in here saying that iPads aren't real computers.
    edited October 2019 lkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 50
    I’ve wanted Apple to get more aggressive in (MacBook) pricing for years and they finally are.  I think it helped.  The Apple Card/Apple financing should help keep the momentum going.  They might ding their partner Best Buy with it though...

Personally, the new bug bounty program was a big deal.  It would be interesting to see if sales to businesses picked up as a result.  Maybe a survey or something.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Come on, though. This is not exactly comparing apples to apples. When it comes to desktops/laptops, which is what *most* people consider a PC, Apple is in fourth place and Lenovo still outsells them by 3X+.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 50
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Soli said:
    I can't wait for Ralphie to come in here saying that iPads aren't real computers.
    I guess my phone is a "real" computer too. There is nothing the iPad can do that my phone can't. The iPad didn't even have a usable file system until recently.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 50
    KevinDKevinD Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    They would have more if they would release the MacBook Pro 16... LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Come on, though. This is not exactly comparing apples to apples. When it comes to desktops/laptops, which is what *most* people consider a PC, Apple is in fourth place and Lenovo still outsells them by 3X+.
    That’s a ridiculous measure set well before the iPad existed. Not only have many people replaced their laptop or desktop with an iPad, the iPad is considerably more personal since it doesn’t offer multiple users while being the primary PC they use.

it really comes down to the pathetic notion of it “not having a real OS,” “not having a real file system,” or “it’s only a toy” that has people like you and Ralphie claim that it’s not fit for “real” users.
    edited October 2019 StrangeDayscy_starkmanbonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 50
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Soli said:
    Once XCode is there, there will no more excuses left. May never happen though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 50
    jason98 said:
    Soli said:
    Once XCode is there, there will no more excuses left. May never happen though.
    I still don't see it happening, but at least the forking to iPadOS and the peripheral options now available are at least making it easier to accomplish.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    ralphie said:
    I can't wait for the asshats to come here that think the iPad is a personal computer.
    Your ignorance shows again.

Who are you to say an iPad isn't?  It may not do what you want it to do, but it certainly does the job for many others.  Are you one of "those people" that think and iPad is not a computer because it doesn't have user-accessible file-system?

Please... tell us so, simply to confirm the narrative about you.
    SolimacplusplusStrangeDaysbakedbananasAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I knew this article would trigger the PC trolls under the bridge. Keep it coming, AI, with more editorials from DED, more in-your-face putdowns of the naysayers. Maybe they will eventually stroke out but in the meantime I should start selling towels for them to wipe the spittle from their chins as they rage.
    SolitenthousandthingsDan_DilgermacplusplustmayStrangeDaysmwhitebakedbananaswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 50
    lkrupp said:
    I knew this article would trigger the PC trolls under the bridge. Keep it coming, AI, with more editorials from DED, more in-your-face putdowns of the naysayers. Maybe they will eventually stroke out but in the meantime I should start selling towels for them to wipe the spittle from their chins as they rage.
    It's doubtful. They all claimed the iPad would fail because (oddly) it wasn't like the failing WinTablets that were tried for decades. They're never going to admit they were wrong about the iPad being the personal computer the average person needed.
    bakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    It's doubtful. They all claimed the iPad would fail because (oddly) it wasn't like the failing WinTablets that were tried for decades. They're never going to admit they were wrong about the iPad being the personal computer the average person needed.
    Considering the iPad alone revenue-wise is almost as much as the entire revenue of dedicated PC-manufacturers, it really does smack people like Ralphie right in the face.
    SolimacplusplusStrangeDaysbakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    I guess my phone is a "real" computer too. There is nothing the iPad can do that my phone can't. The iPad didn't even have a usable file system until recently.
    Phones sales may have some impact on PC demand, but it’s pretty clear that virtually every tablet sold kills a PC sale. Look at PC sales data next to the timeline of iPad sales and it’s impossible to believe that iPad devoured conventional PC sales.

Microsoft called iPad a PC back when it was trying to sell Windows RT. Jobs called it Post-PC. Is Mac a PC? 

Really, the point is that there’s a market for “PCs,” and IPad, netbooks and conventional 1990 laptops and desktops all compete for the same finite sales. iPad is certainly winning in low-price computer profitability. 
    SolimacplusplustmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 50
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    Phones sales may have some impact on PC demand, but it’s pretty clear that virtually every tablet sold kills a PC sale. Look at PC sales data next to the timeline of iPad sales and it’s impossible to believe that iPad devoured conventional PC sales.

Microsoft called iPad a PC back when it was trying to sell Windows RT. Jobs called it Post-PC. Is Mac a PC? 

Really, the point is that there’s a market for “PCs,” and IPad, netbooks and conventional 1990 laptops and desktops all compete for the same finite sales. iPad is certainly winning in low-price computer profitability. 
    I always forget about netbooks. Remember when Apple was foolish for not jumping into a market with slow, cheap Macs costing $300.
    StrangeDaysrevenantwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 50
    sflocal said:
    ralphie said:
    I can't wait for the asshats to come here that think the iPad is a personal computer.

Who are you to say an iPad isn't?  It may not do what you want it to do, but it certainly does the job for many others.  Are you one of "those people" that think and iPad is not a computer because it doesn't have user-accessible file-system?

I think an iPad is not a replacement for a computer because my finger does not work well for a pointer.  A mouse does the trick (it has for what, 50 years), yet the iPad does not support a mouse in a normal manner (not counting the new accessibility function). 

Give the iPad mouse / trackpad functionality then we can talk replacement.  Maybe.
    bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 50
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    ralphie said:

I think an iPad is not a replacement for a computer because my finger does not work well for a pointer.  A mouse does the trick (it has for what, 50 years), yet the iPad does not support a mouse in a normal manner (not counting the new accessibility function). 

Give the iPad mouse / trackpad functionality then we can talk replacement.  Maybe.
    This is a computer without pointer, so what?
    StrangeDaysmwhitebakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    The iPad does far, far more than the original Macintosh. But it’s not a computer and the Macintosh was? Hmmm. Yyyeaahhhh....
    macplusplusmwhitebakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 50
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    ralphie said:

So early personal computers were not personal computers unless they had mice? Hmm yeah that logic doesn’t hold water either. 
    macplusplusmwhitebakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 50
    The never-PCers are too funny. Always new mental gymnastics to square the circle. 

I guess we’d have to insert the iPad into a boxy beige stand, place it on a desk, and connect a dummy cable from the wireless keyboard to the box stand, and live in the 1980s, for them to consider it a PC. 

Whacky logic, fellas. 
    edited October 2019 mwhitebonobobrezwitsAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 50
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    ralphie said:
    I will consider the iPad a personal computer when Apple starts supporting a mouse and a trackpad with it. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed