Apple is world's largest PC vendor with $47B in iPad & Mac revenue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    I can't wait for the asshats to come here that think the iPad is a personal computer.
    I will consider the iPad a personal computer when Apple starts supporting a mouse and a trackpad with it. 
    So you don’t consider all the old PCs of the early days PCs, since many of them didn’t ship with pointing devices? That’s nuts. I used spreadsheets and games on my early Apple and DOS machines without a pointing device, and it was a PC then. Logic dictates they’re still PCs today. 
    mwhitebakedbananaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Replaced my Windows laptop with an iPad 6 years ago and never looked back. I am a very happy Apple iPad camper :)
    mwhitemcdavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    The never-PC brigade is too funny. Always new mental gymnastics to square the circle. 

I guess we’d have to insert the iPad into a boxy beige stand, place it on a desk, and connect a dummy cable from the wireless keyboard to the box stand, and live in the 1980s, for you to consider it a PC. 

Whacky logic, fellas. 
    I'd submitted a similar feedback to Apple when I'd met the iPad (2) the first time. I said that it was too heavy, and being heavy it would require a desk, and a tablet that requires a desk would not merit the classification as a tablet. Because people would try to reinvent the desktop computer around it attaching a mouse, a keyboard and a monitor...

Fortunately Apple has made the lightness and thinness fundamental characteristics of the iPad allowing it to acquire its true personality within time. In that regard we can't ignore the contribution of Eddie Cue who insisted to Steve Jobs about the release of a mini iPad, which stands out with its lightness.

Meanwhile we can't deny the fact that some presentations of the iPad by Apple Marketing are totally wrong, showing the iPad always on a desk, always with a keyboard, always in landscape, as if it is trying to compete with MS Surface. In this case I cannot blame people who imagine a mouse attached to that posture. If there is an error, the error is not in people's imagination, but rather in Apple's presentation of the iPad.

I think we should be more vocal to Apple, like "Hey Marketing, you are holding it wrong !"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    I can't wait for the asshats to come here that think the iPad is a personal computer.
    I will consider the iPad a personal computer when Apple starts supporting a mouse and a trackpad with it. 
    Guess you consider it a personal computer then, because it does have mouse support now. 
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 50
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The never-PC brigade is too funny. Always new mental gymnastics to square the circle. 

I guess we’d have to insert the iPad into a boxy beige stand, place it on a desk, and connect a dummy cable from the wireless keyboard to the box stand, and live in the 1980s, for you to consider it a PC. 

Whacky logic, fellas. 
    I'd submitted a similar feedback to Apple when I'd met the iPad (2) the first time. I said that it was too heavy, and being heavy it would require a desk, and a tablet that requires a desk would not merit the classification as a tablet. Because people would try to reinvent the desktop computer around it attaching a mouse, a keyboard and a monitor...

Fortunately Apple has made the lightness and thinness fundamental characteristics of the iPad allowing it to acquire its true personality within time. In that regard we can't ignore the contribution of Eddie Cue who insisted to Steve Jobs about the release of a mini iPad, which stands out with its lightness.

Meanwhile we can't deny the fact that some presentations of the iPad by Apple Marketing are totally wrong, showing the iPad always on a desk, always with a keyboard, always in landscape, as if it is trying to compete with MS Surface. In this case I cannot blame people who imagine a mouse attached to that posture. If there is an error, the error is not in people's imagination, but rather in Apple's presentation of the iPad.

I think we should be more vocal to Apple, like "Hey Marketing, you are holding it wrong !"
    The very first iPad ad, an iPad Pro ad, does start off on a desk for a second before it detaches and spends the rest of the ad quite literally on-the go. I guess a setback tray on an airplane would count as a "desk" in the context you're using it, but the point of it was to show that even after you have to put your trays up you can still use it as a handheld device and it certainly isn't even close to being "always on a desk" in their marketing.

If you're seeing Apple advertise that they have desk setup with various peripheals for their iPads, it's probably because people know how portable it is more than they know how many additional options there are for it, not because they don't know it's portable, as the aforementioned ad clearly demonstrates.

edited October 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 50
    crosslad said:
    sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    Guess you consider it a personal computer then, because it does have mouse support now. 
    And one of the remote desktop companies has long sold a BT mouse that works with iPad and can be used as expected in their remote client app. Er, so is it a PC only then, when using that mouse and that app? lol, the faulty position just falls apart.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    I’ll consider it a computer when it can run World of Warcraft in  4K ultra settings on a large display with a gaming keyboard and mouse. 

When it supports Xcode. 

When it has native, numerous usb-c ports

When I’m able to diagnose and repair external media and devices

And there’s more...

Everybody has their own potential criteria which shows the limitations of the iPad vs a full fledge desktop/laptop. 

I love LOVE my iPad Pro and I use it extensively daily and it has the ability to mimic some (not all) of my desktop and laptop use cases. But there are numerous use cases where I have to switch to my desktop or laptop. 

I find trying to lump in the iPad with traditional computers misleading and disingenuous to try to declare it some type of misplaced winner in PC market share. 

The potential is there, but there is no way an iPad could replace my desktop or laptop......yet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    I can't wait for Ralphie to come in here saying that iPads aren't real computers.
    I guess my phone is a "real" computer too. There is nothing the iPad can do that my phone can't. The iPad didn't even have a usable file system until recently.
    The iPad does far, far more than the original Macintosh. But it’s not a computer and the Macintosh was? Hmmm. Yyyeaahhhh....
    Dumb comment. We’re talking about today’s standard. My watch has more computing power than the ENIAC. See how dumb that sounds?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 50
    I’ll consider it a computer when it can run World of Warcraft in  4K ultra settings on a large display with a gaming keyboard and mouse. 

When it supports Xcode. 

And there’s more...

Everybody has their own potential criteria which shows the limitations of the iPad vs a full fledge desktop/laptop. 

I love LOVE my iPad Pro and I use it extensively daily and it has the ability to mimic some (not all) of my desktop and laptop use cases. But there are numerous use cases where I have to switch to my desktop or laptop. 

I find trying to lump in the iPad with traditional computers misleading and disingenuous to try to declare it some type of misplaced winner in PC market share. 

The potential is there, but there is no way an iPad could replace my desktop or laptop......yet. 
    1) It can't replace your desktop or laptop so it's not a personal computer? Geez! I use my MBP more than any other Apple device I own (next would be my Watch) that I have no use for an iPad as a PC outside of one specific use, an electronic flight bag, but if I adhered to your logic I'd have to say that the iPad can only be used as an electronic flight bag. Do you think that's a reasonable statement?

2) If that is your definition of a computer—not even a personal computer—it means that maybe 0.0000000000001% of all computers ever made were able to play "World of Warcraft in  4K ultra settings."
  • Reply 30 of 50
    crosslad said:
    sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    Does every iPad support it? Does the iPad support the trackpad? 
  • Reply 31 of 50

Replaced my Windows laptop with an iPad 6 years ago and never looked back. I am a very happy Apple iPad camper :)
    You do any work on your iPad? 

• Reply 32 of 50

sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    So you don’t consider all the old PCs of the early days PCs, since many of them didn’t ship with pointing devices? That’s nuts. I used spreadsheets and games on my early Apple and DOS machines without a pointing device, and it was a PC then. Logic dictates they’re still PCs today. 
    The PCs without a mouse didn't use a GUI. I used those PCs too with DOS. A mouse was not required.

Did you ever try to do any work on the iPad? Not email kind of work. The real work. I tried to replace my computer with an iPad for many years. I ended up ditching the iPad because I could do work 10 times faster on a Mac or PC than I could on the iPad. 
    electrosoft
  • Reply 33 of 50
    sirozha said:

sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    The PCs without a mouse didn't use a GUI. I used those PCs too with DOS. A mouse was not required.

Did you ever try to do any work on the iPad? Not email kind of work. The real work. I tried to replace my computer with an iPad for many years. I ended up ditching the iPad because I could do work 10 times faster on a Mac or PC than I could on the iPad. 
    Then you're in luck! The mouse isn't required for the iPad because it has an OS designed around multitouch, capacitance touchscreen display.
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 50
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    By a standard definition, iPad is certainly a Personal Computer with its own way of interaction and operation. Very few people may reject that notion because of what they used to. I think being open minded is imperative if we want to move forward to the future.
    macplusplusphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Soli said:

When it supports Xcode. 

And there’s more...

1) It can't replace your desktop or laptop so it's not a personal computer? Geez! I use my MBP more than any other Apple device I own (next would be my Watch) that I have no use for an iPad as a PC outside of one specific use, an electronic flight bag, but if I adhered to your logic I'd have to say that the iPad can only be used as an electronic flight bag. Do you think that's a reasonable statement?

2) If that is your definition of a computer—not even a personal computer—it means that maybe 0.0000000000001% of all computers ever made were able to play "World of Warcraft in  4K ultra settings."

1. Depending on usage scenario, you may not need a full fledge PC and may find an iPad will do the trick. Nowhere did I say an iPad couldn’t replace your computer if you don’t need the full functionality of a true PC.  I did say it couldn’t replace MY desktop or laptop. It’s a great device and I’ve used them since launch, but it is what it is. 

2. Your example of my example was one of many listed which lends me to believe you are effectively picking nits to try and negate my example(s) of scenarios where the iPad falls short of being a true, modern day PC up to a potential mega powerful model. As you state, (hyperbole aside)  0.0000000000001% of all computers couldn't run WoW at those settings (depending on budget basically). On the other hand, 0.00% of ipads can run it. 

In summary, the iPad is effectively a subset of the modern day PC. I expect this to change as the fork with iPadOS allows the iPad to continue to evolve into a more functional PC like device, but as of right now (for example, well, my example) no. 
  • Reply 36 of 50
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    The never-PCers are too funny. Always new mental gymnastics to square the circle. 

I guess we’d have to insert the iPad into a boxy beige stand, place it on a desk, and connect a dummy cable from the wireless keyboard to the box stand, and live in the 1980s, for them to consider it a PC. 

Whacky logic, fellas. 
    Before I read this article today and the posts, I just got thru doing the FINAL backup, and storage of my dad's iPad 2 (circa 2012).  I got my first "computer" back in 1983 when I was age 10-11 (if memory recalls correctly ;), a Commodore 64.  My dad was a SERIOUS computer hater kinda dude.

So anyway as I was wrapping up his computer and putting it in final storage on the bookshelf (I got him an iPad Pro back in 2015).  I was like, "I can't get rid of this or recycle that.  This was my dad's "1st computer" he ever bought when he was age 60!! in 2012, er got, cause he actually didn't even buy that one ;P, he got the thing from his job's employee rewards program.  But any woo, that was his 1st "COMPUTER."

But then I scratched my head and I was like well not really he did get an iPhone 4 with me back in 2010, and an iPhone 5 again in 2012.  HAHA, and I got in an argument with myself about wether an iPhone was a "COMPUTER"

I said well he really bought a Magnavox Odyssey back in 1972-74, so was that a computer?

So, I quickly summed up the argument with myself and said:

Magnavox Odyssey = game console
    iPhone = phone
    iPad = computer (P.C.)

Cause to me things break down (or can) when you start digging in the ARENA of "well it's gotta a chip"

In all essence if you are "Chrome Booking". i.e. Checking Email, Browsing the Web, and playing video games for 3-5 hours when you get home from work everyday, while watching TV, in today's terms, that a "Personal Computer"

Now I know, there is a fallacy in the logic because you can say well you can do the same with an iPhone Plus (or Max).  But the INCLUSION of a SIM and Phone Number, shoves the iPhone into the Phone category.  So...

Slice up the Apples, Oranges, and Lemons how ever you really want...
  • Reply 37 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    Since the iPad doesn't support Multi User Accounts, I don't think it can't get any more personal than this!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 50
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Seem that DED is really leaning into that Surface = $1bn factoid, even when no one was claiming that Microsoft is a volume player in the PC industry.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    bigtds said:
    Soli said:
    I can't wait for Ralphie to come in here saying that iPads aren't real computers.
    I guess my phone is a "real" computer too. There is nothing the iPad can do that my phone can't. The iPad didn't even have a usable file system until recently.
    File system? What century are you living in? We’ve moved the vast majority of our information management to in-app cloud services. No files & folders. What next? It’s not a computer because it doesn’t have a floppy drive?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50
    If it's Mac vs PC, how can a Mac be a PC?