AirPods Pro use custom silicone ear-tip, basically non-repairable

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    foljs said:
    > and have found that it is still essentially not user repairable at all

Because otherwise users regularly repair their other bluetooth earphones?
    This lady did. 

I think I’ll let Apple fix or replace mine. 
  • Reply 22 of 33
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    It won’t sell to the masses in Africa then.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I am not surprised and I don’t think this matters in the context of any other Bluetooth disposable earbud product, all of which I avoid buying because I hate earbuds and disposable tech.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    thanx_al said:
    General FYI -
    "AirPods Pro" is the correct pluralization of "AirPod Pro", meaning there are two "AirPods" rather than two "Pros". This construction in English is consistent with other examples such as "Attorneys General". 
    Excellent !
  • Reply 25 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    This article, and the iFixIt teardown, is the most clickbait'y article and teardown I've EVER seen!

NO ONE has EVER torn apart ear buds, repeat, EAR BUDS, to repair them! If a pair of ear bud headphones dies, wired or wireless, they are pretty much toast and get thrown out!

This whole thing was click bait from the start, unbelievable!
    You people are incredible. Some people just like to see how these things are engineered. But, iFixit also does this to see what CAN be repaired as well. Had that battery not been soldered in, there’s likely be a guide on how to replace it and seal things back up maybe. For the kinds of things that can actually be repaired, iFixit is unparalleled for its repair guides and teardowns, and I’ve used it dozens of times over the years to complete upgrades and repairs on Macs, iPhones, Playstations, etc. It’s not clickbait, morons. 
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Being able to fix something used to be a mark of quality and distinguished high value products from plastic rubish made in china. 

The fact that the majority of people seem to think that being able to repair an item yourself or getting someone else to do so cheaply is an inherently worse option  than spending money to buy a new replacement is baffling.

For my Bose Noice Cancelling headphones I was very happy that I could order spare parts from bose to replace the worn ear piece molds. So $20 in parts and I had essemtially brand new $400 headphones. 

but I guess most here think that it would be far superior if I had to buy a bran new pair.

• Reply 27 of 33
     For my Bose Noice Cancelling headphones I was very happy that I could order spare parts from bose to replace the worn ear piece molds. So $20 in parts and I had essemtially brand new $400 headphones. 

fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Being able to fix something used to be a mark of quality and distinguished high value products from plastic rubish made in china. 

The fact that the majority of people seem to think that being able to repair an item yourself or getting someone else to do so cheaply is an inherently worse option  than spending money to buy a new replacement is baffling.

but I guess most here think that it would be far superior if I had to buy a bran new pair.

The equivalent to removable "ear piece molds" on your Bose headphones are the silicone tips on the AirPods Pro, which surprise, you can order from Apple for $4.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    ScreenSaversScreenSavers Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    iFixit is great.

I used them to replace the batteries on two old 64GB iPhone 4S's.  Battery-Kit with tools:  $17.  Battery:  $14.  Revived two ancient devices from a drawer, added $6 amazon rubber cases, and now they're iPods for our 4-year-old.

I've used it to replace the harddrive->SSD & RAM & system-battery on 2007/2008 iMacs.  Every screw, size, location, wire-clip, EVERYthing.
    Plus comments from users DOING the procedures?  Great.

The iMac idea was to gain confidence to put a 2TB SSD into my 2009 27" iMac, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. 
    It's our primary home machine, and if I accidentally kill it, it's new iMac time.

When I browse Craigslist for old iMacs & Mini's, I use everymac to make sure it can run El Cap, then iFixit to see about upgrades should I buy.

If you search iFixit for "2006 Dodge Caravan Brakes" I uploaded instructions for doing pads & rotors. 
    Kind of pay-it-forward.  A buddy of mine showed me on two cars how to do the easy job, and I wanted to help others, which it has.

iFixit it started with mac stuff, now they seem to really want to repair the world.

I think they even had a step-by-step on peeling a banana or something, so they have a sense of fun too.

Happy Halloween all.

E.
    Well good news- the 2009 iMacs are WAY easier to get to the HDD on than the 07- early 09 models. The glass lifts off with  a nice magnet, remove the LCD, and there you are. No frame, RAM clips, iSight camera, screwed LVDS cable, or any of that nonsense.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soldering in the battery seems like it's making an obvious and regular maintenance job a lot harder.  Not great.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    crowley said:
    Soldering in the battery seems like it's making an obvious and regular maintenance job a lot harder.  Not great.
    Soldering the battery is not reducing maintenance it’s increasing reliability. These will get more shocks than maintenance. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    smiffy31 said:
    crowley said:
    Soldering the battery is not reducing maintenance it’s increasing reliability. These will get more shocks than maintenance. 
    No idea what you're talking about.  More shocks?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    People don't repair their headphones when it comes to In Ear.  Stop being stupid.